Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Truly Offensive: Fixing the Pittsburgh Steelers' Offense

Truly Offensive: Fixing the Pittsburgh Steelers' Offense, Part One
by Chase Kenderes
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...fense-part-one

Ask any Pittsburgh Steelers fan and they'll tell you something is wrong with the Steelers' offense. Some claim they've lost their identity by abandoning a power run game, others think injuries have plagued the team. Some still will insist it's Bruce Arians' fault, and others want to bench Ben Roethlisberger.

But sometimes fixing a sputtering offense midseason is a Herculean task.

If it was an easy fix the Steelers coaching staff would have targeted the problem and fixed it. Thus far in the Mike Tomlin era he has been known to fix problems when he finds them.

He took one of the league's worst pass defenses for years and helped turn them into the No. 1 pass defense in the NFL. He took an awful punt and kick coverage unit and turned it into a team strength. So why hasn't he been able to fix the sputtering offense?

Perhaps because the biggest problem can't be fixed in 16 weeks.

Opening the season any knowledgeable Steelers fan would tell you that the biggest problem with the Steelers team, their biggest weakness, would be their offensive line. Though Larry Zeirlein's zone-blocking scheme has been better received now that malcontent Alan Faneca is off in New York, one could argue that it's not the best scheme to fit not only the Steelers offensive line, but their offensive scheme.

The Steelers' offensive linemen are not smart, finesse guys. They are maulers. Put in place by Bill Cowher and Russ Grimm to do one thing well: line up and destroy people in the run game. Under Cowher's offensive philosophy this worked out well. The Steelers were a run-first team who lived and died by running the ball on offense.

Under Bruce Arians, the Steelers identity has began to shift. The offensive coordinator who once spoke of how much he loved to run the ball has seemed to abandon the run all too quickly at times. Though that could come down to personnel.

Steelers starting right tackle Willie Colon has been nothing short of awful in his stint as a starter. Colon may show small flashes of brilliant play every once in a while but those flashes will be quickly forgotten when he is penalized three times on one drive for holding a defensive end half his size in order to keep from getting beat.

Former backup Darnell Stapleton has played well since being given the opportunity after the appropriately nicknamed Kendall "Ken doll" Simmons was lost for the year with an Achilles injury. Stapleton doesn't win many battles but draws enough stalemates to be effective.

Center Justin Hartwig has been perhaps the lone bright spot of the Steelers' O-line in 2008. Though he still has problems executing a shotgun snap, he is such an improvement over last year's center Sean Mahan that his poor snaps can be forgotten. Hartwig doesn't have the pedigree to live up to the Steelers tremendous tradition of elite centers, but he's good enough to get the job done.

Enigmatic left guard Chris Kemoeatu had the unenviable position of taking over for All-Pro Alan Faneca. Kemo has been a mystery for the Steelers this year. His play has been up and down all season. Sometimes he will look great, other times it looks like he doesn't even know the first thing about being a guard in the NFL.

At left tackle stood for the first part of the season the veteran of the Steelers offensive line. Oft-injured Marvel Smith, along with Kendall Simmons, was one of two remaining members of the 2005 Super Bowl winning offensive line. Though injuries have taken a toll on Smith's body over the years, he looked rejuvenated in 2008.

Playing for a contract after the season, and coming off back surgery it looked like Smith was set to have a career year. But once again injuries took their toll and he had to be replaced in the lineup by the Steelers $7 Million Man, Max Starks.

Starks hasn't been an upgrade over Smith this season, but with only a few games under his belt thus far this season Starks' grade is still incomplete. Though he will be likely signed in the off-season by the Steelers as they let Marvel Smith go into free agency, Starks has not had the time to prove that he is the Steelers left tackle of the future.

Then again, perhaps the biggest problem plaguing this Steelers team is that their offensive line has not yet had the time to truly gel. Injuries, new starters, a new blocking scheme, and youth combine to form a Steelers line that, like iron freshly removed from a blast furnace needs to be molded and made into something different: an offensive line more on par with the Steelers tradition, and one that will be more of a strength than a weakness.

Knowing what Mike Tomlin has done in just two seasons as Steelers head coach, it's a safe bet that the offensive line too will be fixed. It's just a matter of time.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: Truly Offensive: Fixing the Pittsburgh Steelers' Offense

It doesn't help the offense when it's riddled with injuries. Willie, Mendenhall, Carey...that leaves MM to do it all by himself, which wears him out.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

You know, I really do like this article as it makes complete sense.

Give it time, the line will be straightened out.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,196 Times in 3,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Give it time, the line will be straightened out.
one would think (or hope) that with the drafing and development of starks, kemoeatu, essex, and colon, the o-line problem would already been solved.

tomlin made it a mission to correct the special teams (which he has done), improve the steelers pass rush and sack total (phenominal).

i have no doubt our o-line problems will be corrected.

i have faith in tomlin to carry through.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
one would think (or hope) that with the drafing and development of starks, kemoeatu, essex, and colon, the o-line problem would already been solved.

tomlin made it a mission to correct the special teams (which he has done), improve the steelers pass rush and sack total (phenominal).

Yep... I also notice that the author talked about the transition of the line from one style of ball to the other.

He really does make sense.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #6
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Now that's a good article. Chase Kenderes

Unlike thing's I've read about how the team sucks and won't sniff the playoffs, this guy really knows what he is talking about

Just one thing though, titles that say " offensive" when talking about how bad an offense is are getting kinda old. maybe it's just me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Yeah, we just gotta trust. He's really made some changes in less than two years here, and has given us no reason to believe he can't handle it
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

i saw a stat showing the steelers are the worst team at converting 3rd and 1. on the twelve 3rd and 2 situations, the steelers have encountered, they have chosen to pass, rather than run, on 11 of them.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Lets see if Tomlin can get it fixed hopefully by the start of next year we will have a great offensive unit but I hope it atleast improves this year.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #9
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
i saw a stat showing the steelers are the worst team at converting 3rd and 1. on the twelve 3rd and 2 situations, the steelers have encountered, they have chosen to pass, rather than run, on 11 of them.

Absolutely agree on that.

I'm just wondering why the Steelers haven't created a few plays with Dennis Dixon in mind. Seeing how they like to use a 4 WR package on 3rd down with 2 or 3 yards needed for the 1st down, I believe that inserting Dennis Dixon into this package as either the QB, or RB would open several more options for the Steelers.

Dixon could possibly take a direct snap at the RB position, or run a QB middle draw from the shotgun position, QB sneek it from under center, hell they could even give the Wildcat formation a try.

I don't know? I really expected that the Steelers would create a few plays which take advantage of Dixon's athletic ability. At this point, anything would be better than the usual running play being STUFFED, or the incomplete pass, or worse yet, THE QB SACK!
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
Absolutely agree on that.

I'm just wondering why the Steelers haven't created a few plays with Dennis Dixon in mind. Seeing how they like to use a 4 WR package on 3rd down with 2 or 3 yards needed for the 1st down, I believe that inserting Dennis Dixon into this package as either the QB, or RB would open several more options for the Steelers.

Dixon could possibly take a direct snap at the RB position, or run a QB middle draw from the shotgun position, QB sneek it from under center, hell they could even give the Wildcat formation a try.

I don't know? I really expected that the Steelers would create a few plays which take advantage of Dixon's athletic ability. At this point, anything would be better than the usual running play being STUFFED, or the incomplete pass, or worse yet, THE QB SACK!

i agree, however, the steelers are not putting themselves in position to be running trick plays. They are having a hard enough time moving the ball with "real plays", so any trick play gone wrong could be devistating