Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Five things to watch: Chargers at Steelers

(Always nice to see what the opposition is worried about. This is from the San Diego Union Tribune. - mesa)

Five things to watch: Chargers at Steelers
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...lers/?chargers

Friday, November 14, 2008

CHARGERS (4-5) AT STEELERS (6-3)

Kickoff: 1:15 p.m./ Caliente line: Steelers by 5 / Series: Steelers lead 19-6.

TV: Channel 8 (Jim Nantz, Phil Simms) / Radio: KIOZ-FM (105.3), XTRA Sports 1360 and in Spanish on XHFG (107.3)

Five Things to Watch

1. STEEL CURTAIN, PART I: If he can somehow come out of this game as one of the NFL's top-rated passers status he has held virtually all season then just send Philip Rivers his ticket to Hawaii and move him right up to the list of MVP candidates. Heinz Field is where quarterbacks go to be hounded, harassed and humiliated, a place where the Steelers have greeted the past five teams that showed up with 65 percent or better passing and sent them home with losses with an average differential of 21 points. While a product of N.C. State, Rivers hasn't faced the kind of wolfpack attack that Pittsburgh has used to record 34 sacks, intercept eight passes and rank No. 1 in the NFL in both total defense and pass defense.

2. STEEL CURTAIN, PART II: Again this week, LaDainian Tomlinson sounded as if he's still not happy with the way the Chargers are(n't) running the ball, and that was after San Diego had failed to gain 100 yards as a team on a Kansas City defense ranked last in the NFL against the rush. Well, now they're up against a Pittsburgh bunch that's second in the NFL against the run. After nine games, the Steelers have yet to allow a running back to reach the 100-yard mark, something only three active backs have accomplished against Pittsburgh in 75 games. When these teams played in 2005 and 2006 in San Diego, Tomlinson had 98 yards on 31 carries.

3. ACHILLES' HEEL: Should he somehow find time and room to operate against that furious rush, Rivers has a distinct advantage in matchups between his receivers and a Pittsburgh secondary that has been beset with injuries, most notably to cornerbacks Deshea Townsend and Bryant McFadden. (Nickel back Fernando Bryant, a warm body signed earlier this week, hasn't played since the New England Patriots cut him in training camp.) In particular, Steelers defensive backs don't have the height to cope with oversized receivers Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd. Plus, the Steelers have been having just as much trouble stopping tight ends as the Chargers, and Antonio Gates seems to just now be rounding into his usual Pro Bowl form.

4. RUN D: Part of the reason defenses have been able to pin their ears back for all-out assaults on sore-shoulder quarterback Ben Roethlisberger he has been sacked, ouch, 28 times is the absence of star running back Willie Parker. The former Pro Bowler has played only one of Pittsburgh's past six games, most recently because of a shoulder that won't stay in place. He's returning to action Sunday, but could be rusty or reticent to use that shoulder, which is harnessed. Also, he'll be without one of the better blocking tight ends, the injured Heath Miller, and also left tackle Marvel Smith. In any event, with Roethlisberger turning into such a liability and Pennsylvania weather being what it is in mid-November, the Steelers will want to run as much as possible.

5. PITTSBRRRRRGH: Another darn Santa Ana weekend, huh, San Diego? The forecast for Heinz Field is a high of 38 degrees, winds of close to 20 mph and a 60 percent chance of snow showers. Gee, where's the advantage in that?
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: Five things to watch: Chargers at Steelers

As usual, if the offense can score a few points, we win.

If we come out and we're still in the funk, it'll be a long day, albeit a close game due to our defense.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,439 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

With those kind of weather conditions it should play in our favor especially in the kicking game.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

PITTSBRRRRRGH? I like that.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 AM   #5
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083

38 Degrees...that's postively humid! Besides.......

...The Jags tried the old temp route pysche twice last year! so third time's the healer......as my Gran once said....but then she was mad!

Steel Curtain....that's the baby (Run the ball, or throw it.....it's gotta come that way somehow, sometime)........and you just know how the D is after a defeat!
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
3. ACHILLES' HEEL:

Rivers has a distinct advantage in matchups between his receivers and a Pittsburgh secondary that has been beset with injuries, most notably to cornerbacks Deshea Townsend and Bryant McFadden.
Bring the house I say. Pressure and sacks may be our key to winning. We can't give Rivers time....Oh, and a squall might help.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
TerribleSteelyMcBeam
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10657

i like how SD has no hope for the game, just a bunch of negative reasons why they will not win... haha

as posted before, any help from the offense and this game will go in the win column. if not, its gonna be a shootout of kickers due to the steel curtain defense this year.
TerribleSteelyMcBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleSteelyMcBeam View Post
i like how SD has no hope for the game, just a bunch of negative reasons why they will not win... haha

as posted before, any help from the offense and this game will go in the win column. if not, its gonna be a shootout of kickers due to the steel curtain defense this year.
No hope is correct. I used to live in San Diego and I talked to a couple of my old friends who are die hard Charger fans. They are very discouraged to say the least. They think our D will crush their O.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

number 2 is the reason why the Steelers will win the game!