Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Win doesn't mask Steelers' problems

Win doesn't mask Steelers' problems
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 17, 2008

The Steelers didn't so much as beat the San Diego Chargers as they did survive them Sunday.

And themselves.

Their reward is a 7-3 record and sole possession of first place in the AFC North Division. A frustrating two-game losing streak at Heinz Field also has been snapped.

But if this team is destined to contend for the AFC championship, it's going to have to do a whole lot better than 11-10 at home over what's left of one of last season's AFC finalists.

For the record, referee Scott Green's crew admittedly blew the call on the game-concluding, touchdown-that-wasn't by Troy Polamalu.

But even at 18-10, the Steelers would have emerged having improved to 7-3 and having regained first place and having snapped their home losing streak all without the benefit of scoring an offensive touchdown.

The Steelers had a 100-yard rusher (Willie Parker, 115), a 100-yard receiver (Hines Ward, 124) and a 300-yard passer (Ben Roethlisberger, 308), and still they couldn't cross the goal line.

That's difficult to do, but the Steelers found a way.

A couple of ways, actually.

One was to muck up another goal-to-go from the 1.

Coach Mike Tomlin could have called timeout after a third-and-8 completion to Nate Washington came up, the officiating crew maintained, inches shy of the goal line.

Tomlin should have at least challenged the spot, which may have resulted in a TD being awarded but at the very worst would have allowed the Steelers a pause to organize themselves.

Instead, they tried to play "beat the play clock", barely avoided a delay-of-game call, ran Mewelde Moore rather than Parker (did I mention he had 115 yards in his return from injury?) and suffered a 1-yard loss for their trouble.

Getting stuffed in such a fashion is becoming habit-forming.

Just as troubling is what the Steelers have become philosophically, which is the type of team they love to defend against.

They throw sideways. They throw underneath. They check down.

Rarely do they attack down the field any more.

Dick LeBeau knows such an approach isn't going to beat his defense, and he coordinates appropriately, believing teams aren't going to be able to go the length of the field and score touchdowns throwing sideways and underneath.

I think LeBeau is onto something.

It's especially difficult to dink and dunk your way to six points when penalty flags are frequently flying.

The Steelers committed a season-high 13 penalties against the Chargers (14 if you include an illegal block flag against James Farrior on an interception return that was offset by an unnecessary roughness call against the Chargers).

Seven of those were against the offense, including three against Ward.

Four of the penalties were assessed against the Steelers' special teams.

Their day also included regaining possession at the Steelers' 6 after the free kick from the opposite 20 that followed the safety registered by James Harrison. Moore didn't field the ball cleanly and Lawrence Timmons committed an illegal block.

And kicker Jeff Reed said he "didn't make myself ready" prior to a missed 51-yard field goal because he thought the Steelers would be punting.

All of the above gaffes somehow were overcome.

None of it is championship stuff.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_598794.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Win doesn't mask Steelers' problems

Quote:
The Steelers didn't so much as beat the San Diego Chargers as they did survive them Sunday.

And themselves.

Their reward is a 7-3 record and sole possession of first place in the AFC North Division.

But if this team is destined to contend for the AFC championship, it's going to have to do a whole lot better than 11-10 at home over what's left of one of last season's AFC finalists.
Can't say I disagree. Though the Steelers did notch a win, they really are going to have to find ways to work out the kinks in the offense and score!!! 11 points just ain't gonna do it against the better teams.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

what are they talking about not throwing downfield anymore? nate washington had like 3 straight games with 50 yard receptions. who's to say some of those check down passes werent intended to be deep ball passes? with the weather the way it was, its understandable to tighten your playbook a bit. we threw long to holmes in the first, but he was covered. i think this game was about getting ben's confidence back, and arians knew that.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Dropped passes and penalties kept the Steelers from scoring offensive touchdowns.

Were all those penalties actually penalties? I don't know...I don't truly beleive the Steelers were penalzied 13 times for violations they actually commited.

I don't want to sound like a Seahawks fan, but after thinking about it, I think the refs didn't want the Steelers to blow the Chargers out of the water. They wanted to keep the game within the points in Vegas.

We play again Thursday. Lets see if we can score some offensive touchdowns against Cinci.

I also agree with jjpro11, a lot of the offensive gameplan was getting Ben's confidence back. I think it worked and we'll have the good Ben back for the rest of the season.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

These mistakes right now are very fixable. We are stacked on offense and defense our only problems from yesterday are Penalties, dropped passing and the lingering injury bug which we all wil hope to be healed up by the playoffs.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
SanAntonio'sHomes
Water Boy

Member Number: 7992

Holmes had three steps on Jammer on the long attempt, but like so many times this season Ben could not get the ball to him in stride. He threw it too short and Jammer made a play on it. I dont know if it is the injury, but Ben is struggling with the deep balls. I would rather just keep moving down the field with the short game.
SanAntonio'sHomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,577 Times in 1,699 Posts

Come on people...its a 1 pont win.

Tomlin is the greatest. Arians is an offensive wizard. Ben is the best QB in the NFL and Willie Parker is back. Kool aid lineup starts to the right.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

steelers offense has been kinda sucking recently

ill be happy to come out with a win in any game where the penalties are that far skewed

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

I will quote Phil Simms on his take on the Steelers offense because it explains it in such an excellent and concise way...

"Befuddled and sputtering"
Old 11-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
I will quote Phil Simms on his take on the Steelers offense because it explains it in such an excellent and concise way...

"Befuddled and sputtering"
PLEASE PLEASE DONT EVER QUOTE PHIL SIMMS ON HERE!