Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Joey who?

Joey who?
By Chris Harlan
Times Sports Staff
Published: Monday, November 17, 2008 12:13 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — Don’t feel badly for the tight end asked to block James Harrison, “they had a running back there, too,” the Steelers linebacker said after another MVP-caliber performance.

Few noticed either.

What everyone saw was Harrison forcing another fumble — this one leading to a safety — during a second-quarter sequence that helped carry the Steelers to an 11-10 victory over San Diego.

And everyone asked: a tight end?

“I don’t know how they do their scouting report,” fellow linebacker James Farrior said, “but I haven’t seen a whole lot of linemen in this league that can block him. Putting him on a tight end is definitely an odd match. He took advantage of it today.”

From his spot at right outside linebacker, Harrison had four tackles, sacked the quarterback and grabbed his first interception this season during what might have been this defense’s best performance.

Harrison helped limit All-Pro runner LaDainian Tomlinson to 57 yards. His interception, well within field goal range, stole at least three points away from the Chargers.

And his fumble-forcing sack of Philip Rivers gives Harrison four forced fumbles and 12 sacks, just 1.5 behind former teammate Joey Porter who has 13.5 this season with Miami. Harrison said there’s no rivalry yet between the two. His teammates, though, are already having fun following the race.

“Are they tied now? No, wait, what did Joey have today?” asked Farrior, who said he still talks with Porter frequently. “One-and-a-half? Twelve. Thirteen. … I’m keeping track.”

Also in the race is LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers’ starter on the left side of the defense, who is third in the AFC with 9.5 sacks.

“When the top three sack leaders are all Steelers — or an ex-Steeler — that’s pretty awesome,” said safety Troy Polamalu.

Harrison said he hasn’t talked with Porter lately but admitted “I hear people tell me certain things he says.”

Where the two still differ is self-promotion. Harrison was asked Sunday whether he’s playing as well as any defender in the league. “I feel like I am,” Harrison said.

Porter rarely had five-word answers during his stay in Pittsburgh. Farrior, though, was willing to promote Harrison, saying his 30-year-old teammate is as good as Porter ever was.

“No doubt about it,” Farrior said. “He’s a terror out there. He makes plays that are similar to what Joey did. … He’s playing at a high level right now.”

At his current pace, Harrison is likely to reach a second straight Pro Bowl. He also could earn enough votes for another team MVP honor and should earn consideration for the league’s Defensive Player of the Year.

The best argument for Harrison might be that that Porter can be elsewhere leading the league in sacks and he’s barely missed in Pittsburgh.

“Joey’s doing his thing,” Farrior said, “but we like what we’ve got right here in Pittsburgh.”

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...0085345528.txt
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Joey who?

The only thing I miss about Porter was his trash talking to the other team. It got udner their skin and was always entertaining for the fans.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
The only thing I miss about Porter was his trash talking to the other team. It got udner their skin and was always entertaining for the fans.
No doubt about that...he can still get inside an opponants head....ask Brandon Marshall.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Imagine if you will.... the tandem of Porter (from 5 years ago) and today's Harrison. That would be freaking awesome.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Porter atill has more sacks than Harrison, but everyone still agrees that he is the defensive player of the year.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Must say, Silverback has made it real easy to forget Joey. Add a healthy Woodley and it's almost criminal.

On a side note;

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
No doubt about that...he can still get inside an opponants head....ask Brandon Marshall.
Is Marshall insane for calling out Porter, or what?
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
Imagine if you will.... the tandem of Porter (from 5 years ago) and today's Harrison. That would be freaking awesome.
Would it be that much better than Harrison and Woodley?
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Loved Joey when he was here, still keep his jersey as he was one of my favs.
That being said James Friggin Harrison is a beast.... and appears to be twice the player Porter was "at times". Porter would sometimes get taken away when faced against Tacles "ie Jonathon Odgen" but Harrison dominates versus Tackles, TE, Double teams he is a friggin beast and makes plays all over the field.
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
ajs8207
Starter

Member Number: 2795

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertLunatic View Post
Would it be that much better than Harrison and Woodley?
I don't think so. Woodley made a couple tremendous plays in pass coverage yesterday as well.
ajs8207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,043 Times in 416 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I dont mis his mouth at all a lot of times it was quite embarassing
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote