Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default NFL to modify Rules.......

............http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08322/928658-100.stm........

We wuz robbed.........I'm just thankful it didn't give us a loss.

NFL to modify rules after bizarre finish to Sunday's Steeler game
Monday, November 17, 2008
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NFL Vice President of Officiating Mike Pereira said today that league officials are taking steps to convene the Competition Committee in a special meeting so they can modify rules interpretations and avoid a recurrence of the bizarre touchdown-or-no situation that concluded the Steelers' historic victory over San Diego in Heinz Field Sunday.

Pereira admitted that referee Scott Green and his crew misinterpreted the rules and incorrectly disallowed a Troy Polamalu fumble return for a touchdown that would have given the Steelers a 17-10 triumph rather than an 11-10 score that was the first in the league's 12,000-some game history.

Pereira said he hopes the Competition Committee that oversees rules can meet by telephone and alter the rules so the replay official, who buzzes officials once to review a play, may now be allowed to alert the referee a second time to ensure officials apply rules properly after such a review.

"It's safe to say it's already in the process of being reviewed," Pereira said today "If we let the replay guy say, 'Hey, wait a minute, they're talking about the wrong pass ...,' then we can correct an egregious mistake like that. I think that's something the Rules Committee [i.e. Competition Committee] has to look at, and look at soon, how we administer the replay. This is just one instance. Could we put it on the wrong 45-yard line? Could we put it on the wrong hash? Could we put it at the wrong clock time?"

The Competition Committee includes two head coaches in the midst of their seasons, Cincinnati's Marvin Lewis -- whose team plays the Steelers Thursday -- and undefeated Tennessee's Jeff Fisher. Also, Matt Millen's firing as Detroit's general manager earlier this season created a committee vacancy.

Green and crew not only misinterpreted the rules, they erased a touchdown that should have been permitted to stand, he added.

Pereira, who said he had an amiable discussion with Steelers chairman Dan Rooney this morning, added that he spoke with Green both Sunday night and this morning. Green was interviewed by a pool reporter moments after the game and admitted making a mistake. Pereira declined to say if the officials have been or would be penalized: "It's the normal process of how we review the game. Certainly, it's a mistake that has been made. He and the crew will be held accountable for that. It's the normal routine we go through to hold them responsible for mistakes like this."

When referee Ed Hochuli admitted erring in a Chargers-Denver game in September, NFL officials said he would be marked with lower evaluation grades that could affect not only his meriting playoff work, but whether he gets retained.

On the final play of Sunday's game between the Chargers and Steelers, Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu returned a loose ball 12 yards for a defensive touchdown.

After an instant replay review and crew conference, the on-field ruling of touchdown was incorrectly reversed to no touchdown due to an illegal forward pass by San Diego.

There were three passes on the play. The first was a completed forward pass from San Diego's Philip Rivers to LaDainian Tomlinson. The second, from Tomlinson to Chris Chambers, was initially ruled a legal backward pass but then reversed in replay to an illegal forward pass. The third, from Chambers, was a legal backward pass that hit the ground and was returned for the touchdown by Pittsburgh's Polamalu.

The incorrect reversal of the on-field ruling of touchdown was acknowledged immediately following the game by referee Scott Green in the pool report interview with a representative of the media.

If any forward pass, legal or illegal, hits the ground, the play is dead immediately. The officiating crew mistakenly determined that the backward pass that Polamalu legally recovered and returned for the touchdown was the pass that was reversed in replay to being forward and illegal. Therefore, the crew ruled that the ball was dead when it hit the ground and the play was over. (The actual illegal forward pass - Tomlinson to Chambers - did not hit the ground and therefore the play is allowed to continue.)

If the situation had been handled properly, the defense (Pittsburgh) would have declined the penalty for an illegal forward pass from Tomlinson to Chambers and taken the touchdown.

The rules relevant to this particular play are as follows:

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 1 (b) states "When any illegal forward pass is caught or intercepted, the ball may be advanced and the penalty declined." (page 49 of 2008 Official Playing Rules of the National Football League)

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 5 states "Any forward pass (legal or illegal) becomes incomplete and the ball is dead immediately if the pass strikes the ground or goes out of bounds." (page 50 of 2008 Official Playing Rules of the National Football League)

Rule 8, Section 4, Article 1 (b) states "A defensive player may catch a backward pass or recover it after the pass touches the ground and advance." (page 58 of 2008 Official Playing Rules of the National Football League)

The final score will remain Steelers 11, Chargers 10.

First published on November 17, 2008 at 4:36 pm
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts
Default Re: NFL to modify Rules.......

rules still being in our favor aside, how in the HELL are they still calling this an "illegal forward pass"???

its hard enough for them to admit they screwed up once, they can admit they screwed up TWICE?

how the hell does anyone think ladainian is throwing the ball forward in this picture. at first the moron refs tried to make it out like an actuall pass in the nfl (from the qb to the rb) was illegal.

they are so full of shit....
Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
rules still being in our favor aside, how in the HELL are they still calling this an "illegal forward pass"???

its hard enough for them to admit they screwed up once, they can admit they screwed up TWICE?

how the hell does anyone think ladainian is throwing the ball forward in this picture. at first the moron refs tried to make it out like an actuall pass in the nfl (from the qb to the rb) was illegal.

they are so full of shit....
Like I've said, Polamalu isn't allowed to intercept the ball in key situations.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Because the ball was actually traveling forward. In relation to the player flipping the ball it appears to go backwards, but in relation to the ground, it moves forward just a bit.

It's like you being in a car driving 100mph forward. You take a ball and throw it backwards at 50 mph. It appears to go backwards ion relation to you, but it's still going forward at 50 mph in relation to the ground.

The player didn't flip it backwards quite hard enough to overcome his own forward velocity.

It's all a mute point now.... the refs blew that call worse than a $2 hooker.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
I'm beginning to believe you.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

its unfortunate that after the fact you cant change the score, and give the gamblers the money they rightfully should have won. im so heated about this call i dont know why. i cant imagine how i would feel if we had somehow lost that game
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
see!?!?!?! you KNOW its complete and utter bullshit if even a patfan agrees!

i dont get it. troy seems to be penalized for making a play, just like ben is penalized for being the biggest, baddest, toughest qb in the league. oh, james harrison will never have a penalty called against him either.

and ike taylor should just move aside anytime a wr comes running into his space.

kudos to troy for showing ultimate hustle and playing the last play of the game as if it were the first.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Hey! We now have our own "Tuck Rule" knee jerk.

Except the original call went against us.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
T&B fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9959

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lers View Post
its unfortunate that after the fact you cant change the score, and give the gamblers the money they rightfully should have won. im so heated about this call i dont know why. i cant imagine how i would feel if we had somehow lost that game
It would not have been good for the refs well being . sad to say .
Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
Because the ball was actually traveling forward. In relation to the player flipping the ball it appears to go backwards, but in relation to the ground, it moves forward just a bit.

It's like you being in a car driving 100mph forward. You take a ball and throw it backwards at 50 mph. It appears to go backwards ion relation to you, but it's still going forward at 50 mph in relation to the ground.

The player didn't flip it backwards quite hard enough to overcome his own forward velocity.

It's all a mute point now.... the refs blew that call worse than a $2 hooker.

I actually stopped the DVR and ran it back and forth a few times, It was ABSOLUTELY a forward pass. The ball traveled almost a full yard forward on the pass.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote