Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers should populate Pro Bowl

Steelers should populate Pro Bowl
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 18, 2008

How many Steelers defensive players should go to the Pro Bowl this year?

Given the potential historical significance of this season for the Steelers' top-ranked defense, there should be a minimum of five players -- including four with Pro Bowls already on their resumes: defensive end Aaron Smith, outside linebacker James Harrison, inside linebacker and defensive captain James Farrior and strong safety Troy Polamalu.

The first-time Pro Bowl member should be cornerback Ike Taylor, who doesn't have an interception, which seems to be the unofficial prerequisite for a cornerback to make the Pro Bowl. However, Taylor's ability to defend half of the field while taking on the opponent's top receiver has produced numerous "coverage" sacks. In 10 games this season, Taylor has allowed only one touchdown reception.

In fact, Harrison's second-quarter sack resulting in a safety in the Steelers' 11-10 win over San Diego was the result of Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson being unable to get open against Taylor, which forced quarterback Philip Rivers to hold the ball too long.

"There are 10 other guys on the field," Harrison told reporters after the game. "I just happened to be the guy that got to the quarterback."

The Steelers are trying to become the first team since the 1991 Eagles to lead the NFL in total defense, passing defense and run defense. Not only do the Steelers lead the league in all three categories, they're also tied for first with 36 sacks and are second in points allowed per game (15.0).

Since 1991, a total of 11 teams have led the NFL in at least two of those defensive categories in a season. That includes the Steelers in 2001 and 2004. Both times, the Steelers lost to New England in the AFC Championship Game.

The defensive numbers the Steelers are producing have been staggering when you consider they're playing what is considered the NFL's most difficult schedule.

Running backs LaDainian Tomlinson (Chargers), Brandon Jacobs (Giants), Clinton Portis (Redskins), Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew (Jaguars), Joseph Addai (Colts) and Brian Westbrook (Eagles) averaged only 33.1 yards per game and 2.09 yards per carry with a total of one touchdown against the Steelers this season.

Quarterbacks Peyton Manning (Colts), Eli Manning (Giants), Rivers, Donovan McNabb (Eagles), David Garrard (Jacksonville) and Jason Campbell (Redskins) averaged 205.7 passing yards per game while completing 57.2 percent. They combined for a total of six touchdowns and five interceptions against the Steelers.

"Our goal is to stop the run," Harrison said. "We try to make you one-dimensional."

Ten games down, six to go, for the league's top defense to continue making its case as one of the best in NFL history.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_598958.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:57 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers should populate Pro Bowl

Nice read I hope to see several of our players make it to the probowl I would say Harrison,Woodley and Troy for sure I wouldn't be surprised to see Clark make it as well.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I don't care about populating the pro-bowl. I care about populating Tampa in early February

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
teelers should populate Pro Bowl[/B]
Running backs LaDainian Tomlinson (Chargers), Brandon Jacobs (Giants), Clinton Portis (Redskins), Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew (Jaguars), Joseph Addai (Colts) and Brian Westbrook (Eagles) averaged only 33.1 yards per game and 2.09 yards per carry with a total of one touchdown against the Steelers this season.
I knew that the run defense was dominating, but I didn't realize we were dominating that much.

I completely agree that Ike should be in the Pro Bowl, he takes the other teams best receiver out of the game. I think Woodley should be there also, to go along with the obvious ones. But, like stlrtruck said, I would rather the whole team be going to Tampa this winter.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Lets not forget that this is being done with a revolving cast of defenders! Not even injuries can beat this defense!

If the offense can get thier shyte together then this D could be even more dominating!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

That's true Hammer, imagine if they actually got to rest for a while on the sideline and came back rested, would be scary!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Again, more proof that Ike is a shutdown cornerback. He COULD have some picks if he could catch, but, more importantly, he just doesn't get thrown at much because he blankets his man.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I don't care about populating the pro-bowl. I care about populating Tampa in early February
the pro-bowl isnt really worth watching imo.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
True Dat.

Harrison, Woodley, Smith, Polamalu, Hampton going will just be the olive in the martini.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
agreed, but it be a great way to cap the season with half of the starting AFC D to be Steelers