Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225
Default Players carrying guns for protection

http://www.comcast.net/articles/spor...-NFL-SECURITY/

Quote:
Players taking security measures after murders
5 hours ago
Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes

MIAMI Frightened NFL players are carrying guns and hiring bodyguards as they seek to avoid becoming victims of violent crime which has already claimed the lives of two players.

Seven players told the latest edition of ESPN The Magazine, to be published on Friday, that the murders last year of Washington Redskins Sean Taylor safety and Denver Broncos' defensive back Darrent Williams, had raised the alarm among some of the country's toughest sportsmen.

"We are targets, we need to be aware of that everywhere we go," said Tampa Bay Buccaneers corner Ronde Barber.

Taylor was shot during a botched robbery at his home in South Florida while Williams was shot and killed outside a nightclub in Denver on New Years Eve, 2007.

This year, Oakland receiver Jevon Walker was robbed and beaten unconscious in Las Vegas and Jacksonville Jaguars lineman Richard Collier had to have his leg amputated after being shot and left paralyzed below the waist.

The response has been an escalation in security for the players and NFL Players' Association president Kevin Mawae, of the Tennessee Titans, estimates half his team mates carry guns.

"If I had to guess about our locker room, I'd say it's 50-50 when it comes to gun ownership," he told the magazine.

"I don't own a handgun. I have a hunting rifle. My job is to protect my family. If someone comes into my house? Game's on," he said.

Fred Taylor, a Jaguars team mate of Collier, said that not being able to carry guns at the team's facility makes him feel vulnerable.

ARMED ROBBERY

"I have all the security measures at my house -- systems, cameras, I can watch everything from my computer but I still don't think I have enough. Who knows what is enough?

"League officials tell us we need to take measures to protect ourselves. But the NFL says we can't have guns in the facility even in the parking lot. Crooks know this. They can just sit back and wait for us to drive off, knowing we won't have anything in our vehicle from point A to point B," says

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger told the magazine that he now has a bodyguard with him at all times.

"The one time I was scared the most, I didn't have anybody with me. I don't want to relive all the details, but this guy brandished a weapon in my face. I kept my cool and talked my way out of it. People showed up and helped get rid of the guy. That's when I decided to have someone with me all the time," he said.

Houston Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson suffered an armed robbery at his home, having a gun pointed in his face and being tied up, and says that was proof that even stay-at-home players, not just those who enjoy nightlife, can be at risk.

"It was the scariest moment of my life. You hear lots of stories of guys getting robbed and you say 'Man, what were they doing, how did they get into that situation? Flashy guys. Rude Guys, Guys who act like they're better than everyone. I don't roll like that and it still happened to me," he said.

Big salaries and high profiles, along with easily available travel schedules, make the players, easy targets but Dave Abrams, appointed as head of Denver's security following the murder of Williams, worries their families may soon be prayed upon.

"What's the next layer? Wives and children: a kid kidnapped for ransom, or some other kind of craziness. I'm scared to death that's where criminals perceive the next vulnerability is for our players: their families."

(Writing by Simon Evans; Editing by John Mehaffey)
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Players carrying guns for protection

Ben knows the word "brandished"?
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

He scored a 25 on the Wunderlich test. He is allowed to use multisyllabic words.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

I remember seeing something on NFL players also spending tons of cash to have their cars bullet-proofed. ....it's EXTREMELY expensive to do so.

In fact, here's one small article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/11/n...ollier-attack/
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

...I hate people who commit crimes. One of the reasons why I might become a Cop of some sort after I get out of the Navy.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,086 Times in 4,586 Posts

ray lewis just carries a knife, although that is not as much about protection as it is 2nd degree homicide.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ray lewis just carries a knife, although that is not as much about protection as it is 2nd degree homicide.

That is just ****ing hysterical. I don't care who ya are.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Only Tony could pull that post our of his butt

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 7120

I am a lady that has a gun by my side 24/7. It is my right as a US citizen. I have had a gun by my bed, in my purse or on my waist for 15 years and I applaud those that choose to use caution, care and training to defend their Rights. The players do indeed need protection from the crazy people that would attempt to assault them.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,086 Times in 4,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post

That is just ****ing hysterical. I don't care who ya are.
Quote:

Only Tony could pull that post our of his butt
lol. it worked for OJ...

bungles carry guns to impress 15 year old girls. (and to jack room mates in college)