Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Mock Draft-2009

I will be starting my Mock Draft of 2009. It will be updated throughout the season and in the offseason leading up to the NFL Draft. Also, for any wondering why my draft doesn't include Texas QB Colt McCoy, he has already declared that he will be back for his Senior year at Texas therefore unavailable for the 2009 NFL Draft. Also, I am going by a draft order on another website with small adjustments due to where I think a team would be drafting if the draft were tomorrow, so please don't take this as where I feel a team will be drafting in April.

Round One

1. Detroit Lions: Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma
With the first pick of the 2009 NFL Draft, the Lions cannot pass up a franchise QB with a cannon of an arm. Yes, they have other needs along the offensive line and on the defensive side of the football, but they get the most value out of this pick with Bradford.

2. Kansas City Chiefs: Brian Orakpo, DE Texas
Do you know how many sacks the Chiefs have on this season? A total of six...six freaking sacks! They do have other needs and they could be looking QB, OL, and possibly RB.

3. Cincinnati Bengals: Michael Crabtree, WR Texas Tech
They will be losing TJ Houshmandazeh in free agency, and this is the best WR out there in FA or the draft to replace him. They have other needs, such as defense and even a RB because Benson isn't the answer there. But this offense runs through a high powered passing attack when Carson Palmer is healthy so a WR of Crabtree's caliber is the best choice for the Bengals.

4. San Fransisco 49ers: Michael Oher, OT Ole Miss
They need help on the offensive line as much as they need help at various other positions. Alex Smith isn't quite gone yet, though he could be this offseason so I am not sold on them taking a QB here. Oher is the best offensive tackle in the draft and the 49ers could build an offensive line around him.

5. Oakland Raiders: Eugene Monroe, OT Virginia
They have used their past two first rounders on QB JaMarcus Russell and RB Darren McFadden. It's time to give these two players someone that helps them. A left tackle that will protect the blind side of Russell and help open holes for McFadden is the best option for the Raiders here.

6.Seattle Seahawks: Jeremy Maclin, WR Missouri
These team doesn't have a lot of holes, but an upgrade is needed at the wide receiver position. Maclin would give them a great target for Hasselbeck to throw to. I really don't see them going anywhere else unless Crabtree is available here.

7. St. Louis Rams: Andre Smith, OT Alabama
Orlando Pace is always hurt and his career is nearing an end. They have nobody to protect their highly paid quarterback or make holes for their highly paid running back. Is there really any other choice here?

8. Houston Texans: Taylor Mays, S USC
The Texans need help at saftey. Mays is the type of player that would be a difference maker for their secondary. He can cover and he hits like a linebacker, so he has no problem coming up into the box and help stuff the run. He kind of reminds me of another great USC saftey currently playing in the NFL...Troy Polamalu.

9. Cleveland Browns: Chris Wells, RB Ohio State
While they have other needs on the defensive side of the ball where they can use two other notable Buckeyes (CB Jenkins and ILB Laurinaitis), I have the Browns taking the Best Player Vailable (BPA) in Chris "Beanie" Wells. This guy is Jamal Lewis in his prime, only with more speed. Speaking of Jamal Lewis, he only has two seasons left on his contract and the Browns have nobody whatsoever to replace him. Wells only concerns are durability, but his couple of injuries have been minor and he's played through them for the most part. He's also an instantly recognizable face since most Browns fans are Ohio State fans who love him already (or Michigan fans who hate him).

10. San Diego Chargers: Rey Maualuga, ILB USC
Their inside linebacker corps can use an upgrade, and while I feel Laurinaitis is the better ILB...Maualuga is more instinctive and makes a bigger hit. He fits their attacking style of defense very well.

11. New Orleans Saints: Aaron Curry, OLB Wake Forest
Their defense is a mess. They thought they upgraded at OLB, but then Dan Morgan retired before training camp leaving them at a loss. Drafting Curry would take this LB corps towards the top of he NFC with Vilma roaming the middle.

12. Jacksonville Jaguars: Malcolm Jenkins, CB Ohio State
While they also need help at MLB with the demotion (and soon to be free agent) Mike Peterson, they can get themselves a good MLB in the second round. What their defense really needs is a playmaking CB accross from Rasheen Mathis and that's what they get with Jenkins. He plays well in the clutch and has no problem popping a RB.

13.Green Bay Packers: Michael Johnson, DE Georgia Tech
With KGB playing horrible this season and then being cut, the Packers need an upgrade accross from Aaron Kampman. Michael Johnson is solid against the run and can get to the QB also, he'd be the perfect fit for the Green Bay defense.

14. Buffalo Bills: Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
The Bills started out the season 5-1 and now are at 5-4. Part of the reason is lack of a pass rush. I know Aaron Schobel has been out, but there isn't much pass rush opposite him on the defensive line anyhow. Greg Hardy will only make Schoebel better by taking some attention off of him...which is good for the Bills defense.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Mock Draft-2009

15. Denver Broncos: James Laurinaitis, ILB Ohio State
Lil Animal is a perfect fit for a reeling Denver defense. He makes very good reads, has very good instincts, is a ballhawk in coverage, and rarley misses a tackle because he wraps up instead of going for a highlight hit.

16. Chicago Bears: Everette Brown, DE Florida State
The Chicago Bears are a defensive team, so I don't see them going with a WR here. Instead, I see them going defense with Brown. They are lacking a pass rush this season and Brown would be a big help in that department.

17. Miami Dolphins: DJ Moore, CB Vanderbilt
They have collected used cornerbacks for a while now. It's time the Dolphins inject some youth in that position with their 2009 first round pick.

18. Indianapolis Colts: Sen'Derrick Marks, DT Auburn
The Colts have nobody at defensive tackle. Back in the Buccs heyday with Dungy under control they had Warren Sapp and Booger McFarland plugging up the middle on the run and getting to the QB in pass plays. Marks fits that mold of DT and fits Dungy's Tampa Two defense perfectly.

19. Minnesota Vikings: Matthew Stafford, QB Georgia
Stafford should have been gone a long time ago, but most of the teams on here don't have a screaming need for a QB. They either already took one (Lions), have one in place who's young but has hope (Browns, Raiders, Bills), or need one but don't quite know it (Chiefs). Tavaris Jackson is no better than a backup QB and Gus Frerotte is a journeyman who definatly isn't the future.

20. Detroit Lions (From Dallas Cowboys: Ciron Black, OT LSU
Taking a QB with the first overall pick, with the one they got for Roy Williams they take Black, an OT to help protect all that money going to Stafford.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Duke Robinson, OG Oklahoma
With Joh Runyan and William Tron Thomas both hitting the market, taking offensive line makes the most sense for the Eagles. With Robinson's huge self at LG then Herramens can slide to LT.

22. New England Patriots: Vontae Davis, CB Illinois
The Patriots let their best CB walk in free agency last year and has filled that position with scrubs. Bellicheck's "lets fill that position with another team's castoff and make him look good" trick failed miserably. Davis gives the Pats a cover corner with good hands, something they badly need.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Percy Harvin, WR Florida
Harvin gives the Buccs a deep threat wideout. Everyone thought that Tampa was going WR last year when they surprised everyone with taking Talib Aquib, a CB. This year Gruden doesn't pass up a WR and takes Harvin.

24. Atlanta Falcons: Terrance Cody, DT Alabama
Cody is a big DT, just what this Atlanta defense needs. The Falcons defense is having lots of trouble stopping the run and Cody would help solve it.

25. New York Jets: Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia
Thomas Jones isn't quite washed up, but he is going to be 30...when a RB starts on the downside of his career. Moreno doesn't only protect against a talentless backfield if/when Jones gets bad...he creates a very good 1-2 punch for the Jets while Jones is still playing at a high level.

26. Washington Redskins: Tyson Jackson, DE LSU
Jason Taylor only has one more season left under contract then he's likley out of football and headed for the bright lights of Hollywood. Tyson Jackson upgraded the line in depth for a year and takes over for Taylor after the 2009 season.

27. Arizona Cardinals: Brian Cushing, OLB USC
While their offense is tremendous, the Cardinals defense still leaves a lot to be desired. They can get some of that desire with Brian Cushing, who is a very solid OLB and would sure up that defense quite a bit.

28. Baltimore Ravens: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR Maryland
I am sure the Ravens have seen plenty of Heyward-Bey, seeing how he plays in their own backyard in College Park. He's a talented wideout that would give Joe Flacco, last year's first round pick a nice target to throw to.

29. Pittsburgh Steelers: Alex Mack, OC California
After ignorning the offensive line last year and signing a servicable starter in the offseason....this year they draft their future anchor of the offensive line. They can build around him and get back to the type of offensive line that helped them to a 15-1 season in 2004 and a Super Bowl in 2005.

30. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Pettigrew, TE Oklahoma State
They supposedly asked about the Browns Kellen Winslow at the trade deadline and were told he's not available. Pettigrew can catch balls and is a decent blocker (better than Winslow) and would seriously upgrade the Eagles offense.

31. New York Giants: Marcus Freeman, OLB Ohio State
When Osi Umenyiora went down, they had to move Kiwanuka back to DE. With the way he's been playing, I can definatly see him staying at DE when Osi comes back and Justin Tuck being moved inside to DE where he's still a terror. Freeman is a good OLB who can cover and is a solid tackler, always an upgrade to a defense.

32. Tennessee Titans: Trevard Lindley, CB Kentucky
Next season is 34 year old Nick Harper's final year on his current contract with the Titans. They need to find someone who can take his place, and Lindley is one of the better cornerbacks at this point in the first round.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I would take that and be tickled, but I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling about Mack being there when we pick.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Hahaha... One correction...

1. Detroit Lions: Michael Crabtree, WR Texas Tech =p

J/k, but I'm not sure they go Bradford or even QB in the first round... Something tells me the powers that be in Detroit believe in Daunte Culpepper ><
Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Ill take a center in the first rd.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,555 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I would take that and be tickled, but I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling about Mack being there when we pick.
I think Mack will be there at our pick. I just dont know that we dont look to OT first and think of trading up in the 2nd to get Luigs. I also think Philly goes OT instead of Robinson at G, because they dont really have any depth there either.

I love the first shot a mock draft, especially in November.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think Mack will be there at our pick. I just dont know that we dont look to OT first and think of trading up in the 2nd to get Luigs. I also think Philly goes OT instead of Robinson at G, because they dont really have any depth there either.

I love the first shot a mock draft, especially in November.
Denver sites are really talking up Mack now....they may take him before we get a chance...

The good news is that Tyson Jackson is slipping BIG TIME!!!...I would be very happy to have Mack slip to us in the first...trade our two thirds for a second..and then with the combined two second round picks...get OT Loadholt and DE Jackson..in the fourth I would love to see us get FB/Jarvorski Lane as the missing piece to our run game.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

i have to disagree with my man stafford falling that far, the lions probally would take him. if not KC, SanFran, Seatle, and StLious would all jump at him. alex smith is gone in san fran. they owe him a huge roster bonus this spring. no way they pay him.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

also if Cody comes out he goes top 10
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
9. Cleveland Browns: Chris Wells, RB Ohio State
While they have other needs on the defensive side of the ball where they can use two other notable Buckeyes (CB Jenkins and ILB Laurinaitis), I have the Browns taking the Best Player Vailable (BPA) in Chris "Beanie" Wells. This guy is Jamal Lewis in his prime, only with more speed. Speaking of Jamal Lewis, he only has two seasons left on his contract and the Browns have nobody whatsoever to replace him. Wells only concerns are durability, but his couple of injuries have been minor and he's played through them for the most part. He's also an instantly recognizable face since most Browns fans are Ohio State fans who love him already (or Michigan fans who hate him).
Love that pick . I'm hoping if we get him, in the secound round we pick up a good MLB, or get one in Free Agency.