Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Iran increases stockpile of uranium

Quote:
Iran increases stockpile of uranium

By Daniel Dombey in Washington and James Blitz in London
Published: November 19 2008 18:01 | Last updated: November 19 2008 23:00

Iran is forging ahead with its nuclear programme, the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog reported on Wednesday, deepening the dilemma facing US president-elect Barack Obama over his campaign promise to engage with Tehran.
The latest report by the International Atomic Energy Agency reveals that Iran is rapidly increasing its stockpile of enriched uranium, which could be rendered into weapons-grade material should Tehran decide to develop a nuclear device.

The agency says that, as of this month, Tehran had amassed 630kg of low enriched uranium hexafluoride, up from 480kg in late August. Analysts say Iran is enriching uranium at such a pace that, by early next year, it could reach break-out capacity – one step away from producing enough fissile material for a crude nuclear bomb.
“They are moving forward, they are not making diplomatic overtures, they are accumulating low enriched uranium,” said Cliff Kupchan, an analyst at the Eurasia Group, a risk consultancy in Washington. “These guys are committed to their nuclear programme: if we didn’t know that, they just told us again.”
The IAEA report also says there has been a breakdown of communication between the agency and Iran over alleged research on an atomic weapon. “The Iranians are making good progress on enrichment but there is absolute stone-walling on past military activities,” said Mark Fitzpatrick of the International institute for Strategic Studies. “It’s very disappointing.”
The progress chalked up by Iran increases the difficulties for Mr Obama, who campaigned on promises of talking to America’s enemies, although during the election he scaled down his initial vow to meet Iran’s leaders to a more general commitment to consider doing so if it advanced US interests.
“Obama faces a real dilemma,” said the Eurasia Group’s Mr Kupchan. “He must decide whether to pursue diplomacy quickly in light of rapid Iranian progress or whether to wait in the hope of a more moderate Iranian leadership after Iran’s June presidential election.”
European diplomats have responded favourably to Mr Obama’s suggestion of US engagement with Iran, although they are keen to avoid unilateral US actions that would rip up the approach fashioned by the permanent five members of the UN Security Council and Germany.
IAEA officials said relations between the organisation and Iran had deteriorated so much there had been no contact between them for over two months, UN officials said on Wednesday.
”We had gridlock before but then at least we were talking to each other. Now it’s worse. There is no communication whatsoever, no progress regarding possible military dimensions in their programme,” a senior UN official said.
Ahead of Wednesday’s report, Mahmoud Ahmadi-Nejad, the Iranian president, signalled that his country would press ahead with its nuclear program.
In a speech broadcast on TV, he said the US and its major allies wanted to deprive Iran of “honor and independence” by pressuring the country into halting its uranium enrichment work.
“Now the great powers are disappointed, as they have not the least bit of hope to break the Iranian people down,” he said. “If great powers seek to take over Iran’s rights, Iranian people will slap them so hard that they won’t find their way back home.”

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008
All politics aside. This is one SCARY situation.

President Bush and President-elect Obama both have my prayers in dealing with this situation.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4eeacd78-b...0779fd18c.html
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082
Default Re: Iran increases stockpile of uranium

Obama has already invited Achmadinijad over for tea and crumpets in January, I'm sure they will work this out diplomatically.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

If we're so good at black op conspiracies (that some sects believe in so much) then why don't we provoke a war between them and North Korea then sit back and watch?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,317 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
“Obama faces a real dilemma,” said the Eurasia Group’s Mr Kupchan. “He must decide whether to pursue diplomacy quickly in light of rapid Iranian progress or whether to wait in the hope of a more moderate Iranian leadership after Iran’s June presidential election.”
What is this guy smoking? There won't be a "more moderate Iranian leadership" as it is the mullahs that actually hold the power in that country (and they ain't going anywhere). Ahmadinejad is simply a puppet and a mouthpiece - it's the Iranian "mullah-ocracy" that calls the shots.

Quote:
IAEA officials said relations between the organisation and Iran had deteriorated so much there had been no contact between them for over two months, UN officials said on Wednesday.

”We had gridlock before but then at least we were talking to each other. Now it’s worse. There is no communication whatsoever, no progress regarding possible military dimensions in their programme,” a senior UN official said.
Once again, both the IAEA and UN show their absolute impotence in actually solving REAL problems. Time for another "strongly-worded resolution" issued by the UN against Iran, I suppose, while they become the newest member of the nuclear club.

Good luck, Mr. Obama - you're gonna need it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quick lets invade!
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Steel Head View Post
Quick lets invade!

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
Obama has already invited Achmadinijad over for tea and crumpets in January, I'm sure they will work this out diplomatically.
Thankfully Obama will get us through this diplomatically. I mean how could he not? He is a uniter and he speaks so eloquently.....oh, and he's for change...

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,317 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Steel Head View Post
Quick lets invade!
Nah, let's agree to give them a few light-water reactors in exchange for their crossing-their-hearts-and-hoping-to-die promise that they won't pursue the development of nuclear weapons. I mean it worked great with North Korea!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I'd let Israel deal with it why we still can.

Obama ain't much of a fan of Israel, by the way. That's not real good news, by the by...
Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Well folks this is where the rubber meets the road!

The freedom we have today and the society we enjoy are direct results of our military sqaushing aggresion. If obama tries to talk his way into peace with the worlds aggressors, this country WILL pay a price! This world is far more dangerous now then when this country WAS the tip of the sword against all aggressors. Now obama wants us to be the what? He wants to bring a microphone to a gunfight !?! I know hes not right for this country but I do hope he proves me wrong! That is if he wakes up to the real world eventually!

People don't want to admit it but........................TO ENSURE PEACE , YOU MUST PREPARE FOR WAR!