Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Default Do we fall apart down the stretch like we did last year??

I gotta say Im worried. Not being able to run on the Bengals is pretty bad.

If our Oline doesn't get in gear I don't see us going very far in the playoffs despite our amazing D.

Heck Im not sure we'll hang on to the Division.

Last year I believed Ben could use his magic(See MNF Ravens Game) and still make this O proficient...which he did

This year his shoulder is gimped and he looks gun shy from all the hits.(Though theres a glimmer that hes coming out of it)

So if we can't run the ball against good Teams, and Ben isn't as spot on as he was last year...thats leaving us(Mainly Defense) with little to no margin of error.

And Now throw in this awful punter of ours.........the Steelers better not be resting on their laurels because they muddled through the 1-9-1 Bengals.......They have some serious retooling to do for this final stretch...

I dunno how they do it, but the attitude has to change in a big way IMO(along the lines of 05)

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202
Default Re: Do we fall apart down the stretch like we did last year??

I agree somewhat with you! We play some pretty good teams starting next week. The Brady less Patriots are still a good team, but defense has slowed down. The Cowgirls have some good pass rushers, the Ravens are the Ravens (divisional games are always tricky), and tennessee is hot right now. I thought that if you stopped TN's run, they were done, but Collins looks good. Could be an interesting stretch for us, I see us going 3-1 though, but that all depends on which Steelers offense shows up to the game.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

First of all you've got to look at the field. I'm happy we didn't get stuff at the goal line for a third straight week.

I've got faith in our players that the running game will straighten out as soon as Ben gets back to form. Lately teams have been stuffing the run and asking Ben to throw the ball which the last 4-5 weeks has been nail biting. But now he's starting to get his form back and teams will have to recognize that and when they do the run game will open up.

I think we'll be fine down the stretch so much that by the time we play the ratbirds we'll probably have the division won.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

we were a holding call away from beating the giants and one int too many from beating the colts.. we came into the eagles game completely unprepared, yet still had a chance to win in the 4th quarter.

last year we fell apart because of injuries.. if we dont have any season enders, other than marvel smith, we will be a completely different team than last year at this time.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
I gotta say Im worried. Not being able to run on the Bengals is pretty bad.

If our Oline doesn't get in gear I don't see us going very far in the playoffs despite our amazing D.

Heck Im not sure we'll hang on to the Division.

Last year I believed Ben could use his magic(See MNF Ravens Game) and still make this O proficient...which he did

This year his shoulder is gimped and he looks gun shy from all the hits.(Though theres a glimmer that hes coming out of it)

So if we can't run the ball against good Teams, and Ben isn't as spot on as he was last year...thats leaving us(Mainly Defense) with little to no margin of error.

And Now throw in this awful punter of ours.........the Steelers better not be resting on their laurels because they muddled through the 1-9-1 Bengals.......They have some serious retooling to do for this final stretch...

I dunno how they do it, but the attitude has to change in a big way IMO(along the lines of 05)
I have to agree with you. I am worried to. The Bengals did a good job stopping our running game, and this is a defense who isn't anywhere near the top, but to their credit, have been playing very well the last few weeks.

I don't see us going very deep into the playoffs either if the O line doesn't make some vast improvements. Ben didn't get sacked, which I am very thankful for, but like I just mentioned, our running game was poor.

You are right, we have no margin for error. Our D can not be on the field for 60 minutes or they will start to wear down no matter how great they are. They need to be able to REST. Against sub par teams you can maybe get away with not moving the ball as well, and letting the outcome rest mostly on your D. When you play against quality opponents though, you have got to score and keep it going. You can't keep handing them the ball back and expect to win.

And that horrid punter was making me cry and throw things at the tv at the same time.just torture watching him punt. Think about it, that was against the Bengals...could you imagine against the good teams we are going to be playing down the stretch... giving them that kind of field p. what they would do with it???

GO STEELERS!!!!
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

guys, that was a sleepwalk win for us. we fell asleep last year at the jets and lost.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
guys, that was a sleepwalk win for us. we fell asleep last year at the jets and lost.
the 1st quarter they were sleep walking.. the rest of the game they played good football.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
the 1st quarter they were sleep walking.. the rest of the game they played good football.
unfortunely they cant sleep walk in the 1st quarter with the games we have remaining. they need to come out and be firing.. but to the question at hand. no i dont think we will fall apart like we did last year. we have seen that we dont need ben to be the hero and throw deep balls to make plays or keep the chains moving. take the short pass if its there, just keep the chains moving and score... no more getting stuffed at the goalline.... and definately make sure the players know what the rule is if there is a tie(sorry, i couldnt resist)

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

No we don't.

Critical Injuries to key players on the Defense did the Steelers in last year. This year we have a healthy Aaron Smith, a healthy Polamalu in 2004-2005 form, and we didn't have Lamar Woodley.

We lost Willie Parker last year and the running game went with him. This year we have Moore and Russell. Wish Mendenhall didn't get hurt, then I'd really like our chances.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
No we don't.
Wish Mendenhall didn't get hurt, then I'd really like our chances.
you can thank good old ray lewis for that

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote