Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 11-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #21
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560
Default Re: A well called game by Arians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Well, I hate to pat myself on the back, but....
LMAO Dude! Great!
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Do you think it's possible Arians read our posts calling for the FB dive? I know that was the first thing I thought of. Great timed call!

O.K., I'll give him an ounce of credit.
I was not one who constantly bashed Arians, but I was fed up with him after the Colts game. Whatever he did, it was nice to see him making the right calls in the right situations, which is all anyone can really ask for. He has made a lot of boneheaded play calls this season that deserved criticism, but I'm not one who immediately calls for someone to be fired/cut when he screws up and gives him a chance to redeem himself.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Great post alltogether!!!
Thanks man, by the way, what system do you play your Madden on? I'm on the PS3, SmashMouthPlayer, look me up for a game.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #24
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
Thanks man, by the way, what system do you play your Madden on? I'm on the PS3, SmashMouthPlayer, look me up for a game.
Keep this in the gamer chat section please.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #25
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
I'm a hater and I said LAST week that I liked some of the CHANGES that Arians made to the play DESIGNS and CALLS. I promised to lay off of him last week and I did. As for the "execution" refererence, sorry man, that word was used as an excuse by the Arians supporters, they typically blamed the failures of the offense on the lack of "execution" by the players.

The game last night showed FURTHER evidence of the CHANGES, changes that I will speak of later in this reply. Utilizing a FB in the running game, MORE running plays from the I-Formation, shorter WR routes which enable Roethlisberger to get rid of the ball without taking sacks, the calling of more screen plays, and the calling of RUNNING PLAYS on those 3rd and short situations. Bravo Bruce Arians, keep it up man!

Now this last bit goes out to ANYONE who wants to "call out the Bruce Arians haters".
I would find it to be absolutely hilarious if long-time Arians supporters attempt to call out long-time Arians haters based on the Steelers 2 game streak of efficiently run offensive football.

Arians supporters, go ahead and call out the haters if you feel the need to but I would suggest that you first check the archive threads on the topic and REALIZE THIS: Over the past 2 games, Arians is doing PRECISELY what the haters have been calling for him to do ALL DAMN SEASON! "shorter WR routes", "the use of a FB", "calling screen plays", and "running the ball on 3rd and short as opposed to passing".

Now supporters, swallow your pride and ADMIT that the haters have been right ALL ALONG! I'm still not sold on Arians and probably never will be but at least for another week, I'll lay off the man.
Dude....I wasnt calling anybody out. The last line of my OP was just a reaffirmation that haters...hate and supporters....slather praise excessively. I am neither, but somewhere in between as not everything is always black or white..........but sometimes grey.

I loved seeing a real FB and some screen passes though.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #26
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I can't give him too much credit... for changing. I think he called the same type of game.

Now before you all call me a hater... follow my reasoning, and it will make sense.

I think this was the NORMAL type of game Arians WANTS to call. So I am not going to make a big deal out of it. It was great to watch though.

What I think has happened, is that we now have a line that has settled in enough that they are giving Ben some good pass protection, at least against the Bungles. When Ben has time, he is able to do a couple things (as planned by Arians and Ben together, as Ben has said repeatedly). That sets up the plays that Arians wants to call to go for the jugular on drives.

For instance. I was SCREAMING, "Why are we running to the left on almost EVERY first down play?"

Answer, because they were setting up a DEEP thrown to Santo in the third quarter for a quick 6 on a first down play action (running yes, to the left). Sadly, I think Ben's shoulder held him back from putting the ball where it needed to go. You have to have some time to make that play happen. If the line doesn't give Ben the time, then that throw doesn't happen. If that throw doesn't happen, I am in here today wondering why Arians ran the ball to the left all night on first down and have no idea that his O line prevented him from calling the long ball, because he would be protecting Ben from another sack.

That is one example.

The screens are another. I think we saw more screens because his line was able to block better, so the D had to send more people. That allows the screen to be called, without LB's and DL'men sitting back for the screen.

Now that our line is playing a bit better, Ben is getting a bit healthier, and our TE's are coming back strong, I think we all will start to understand Arians playcalling a lot better.

So yes, it was a well called game for Arians, but I am starting to think, it really wasn't out of the ordinary for him. Execution of his game plan is what showed us how is game plan IS SUPPOSED TO WORK EVERY GAME.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #27
Hamer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 448

Very very happy to see the return of the fullback position, not to mention running on 3rd and short.

I wonder though- how much Tomlin had to do with those changes instead of Arians or Ben.
Hamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #28
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I can't give him too much credit... for changing. I think he called the same type of game.

Now before you all call me a hater... follow my reasoning, and it will make sense.

I think this was the NORMAL type of game Arians WANTS to call. So I am not going to make a big deal out of it. It was great to watch though.

What I think has happened, is that we now have a line that has settled in enough that they are giving Ben some good pass protection, at least against the Bungles. When Ben has time, he is able to do a couple things (as planned by Arians and Ben together, as Ben has said repeatedly). That sets up the plays that Arians wants to call to go for the jugular on drives.

For instance. I was SCREAMING, "Why are we running to the left on almost EVERY first down play?"

Answer, because they were setting up a DEEP thrown to Santo in the third quarter for a quick 6 on a first down play action (running yes, to the left). Sadly, I think Ben's shoulder held him back from putting the ball where it needed to go. You have to have some time to make that play happen. If the line doesn't give Ben the time, then that throw doesn't happen. If that throw doesn't happen, I am in here today wondering why Arians ran the ball to the left all night on first down and have no idea that his O line prevented him from calling the long ball, because he would be protecting Ben from another sack.

That is one example.

The screens are another. I think we saw more screens because his line was able to block better, so the D had to send more people. That allows the screen to be called, without LB's and DL'men sitting back for the screen.

Now that our line is playing a bit better, Ben is getting a bit healthier, and our TE's are coming back strong, I think we all will start to understand Arians playcalling a lot better.

So yes, it was a well called game for Arians, but I am starting to think, it really wasn't out of the ordinary for him. Execution of his game plan is what showed us how is game plan IS SUPPOSED TO WORK EVERY GAME.

Execution is key, yes indeed, but I disagree with your insinuation that the last two offensive game plans have been status quo with what we've seen all season. I've seen changes in the past two weeks that allow for the players, specifically the offensive line, "to execute within their means".

For nearly half of this season, Arians play designs and play calls have required that an AVERAGE group of offensive linemen "execute far beyond their means". I truly do see the adjustments in the game plan. I just can't credit the two game-efficient like effort by the offense to the "players better executing the gameplan".

Last edited by Steelers & I; 11-21-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #29
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,051 Posts

I dont think this was the NORMAL game Arians WANTS to call.

He doesnt normally want a 250lb guy in the backfield as a lead blocker and I dont normally see him call many screen passes. I think they sat down and looked at what went wrong the past few weeks and tried some new things.

Hey Preacher.......did you see Stapleton get steamrolled by Peko around 2:45 min into the 3rd quarter? To his credit, there was no sack, but thats the kind of "lack of leverage" that I dont like from him. The kid needs more time in the gym.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #30
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Keep this in the gamer chat section please.
Yes Sir!