Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Makaveli
Banned

Member Number: 5998
Default Re: Big Ben haters have been quiet lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
On NO!!! You were a Rivers pimp!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

Indeed Gonzo,..my Rivers pimp hand was "StrongLikeKong". (The kid was the "Bizness" at N.C State)
Old 11-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337

I think he's worth every penny, I always have. IMHO, Ben is just really well rounded - all of his qualities add up. His problems have been injury related and because he's high-risk, high-reward, it's not unusal for him to have a few sucky games and easy for his popularity with fans to waver when he has those bad days. He's the perfect puzzle piece for a team like the one we have now. This isn't a one man show. I'm glad.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post
Indeed Gonzo,..my Rivers pimp hand was "StrongLikeKong". (The kid was the "Bizness" at N.C State)
And Danny Weurfell was the fishizzle at Florida....but that meant nothing at the time.

I was always down on that wonky delivery of Rivers and the lack of velocity on the deep ball because of it. No doubt that he can ball, but Rivers is a dick and I'm glad we got Ben.

I remember seeing this report on Ben's workout in college and knew he was the deal.

Ben Roethlisberger QB Roethlisberger's workout was scripted by Steve Clarkson, who is a former San Jose State QB and currently helps prepare quarterbacks for the NFL. Roethlisberger (6-4 7/8, 240) ran his 40s in 4.81 and 4.82. He had a 30-inch vertical, a 4.32 short shuttle and a 6.81 three-cone drill.

His positional drills were referred to as outstanding. They had him throw a lot of passes on the move, and threw about 80 passes total with very good accuracy. He threw to Grant Mattos, who was with the Chargers last year, along with Cal Murry, a running back at Miami, Ohio this past year and tight end Matt Brandt (no relation). They finished the workout by having him stand flat-footed on his own 40 and throwing to receivers in five-yard increments starting at the opposing 30-yard line. By the end of the drill, he was connecting to receivers in the end zone 60 yards away. One Giants personnel guy said to me, "I've seen enough," as in Roethlisberger can't get any better. Another person there said, "If Al Davis passes on him, he's making a big mistake."

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/131757-post1.html
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Wow We could of had Rivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God for unanswered prayers.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Its all about Big Ben being smart with the ball and not being afraid to Run with it once in a while. The 2 scrambles he had last night were clutch, and those are the type of plays that have been missing. Feel the heat, step up, and when you notice the linebackers are not in the middle of the field, run for the first down. Basic crap that he was doing great until last season when he started to get sacked a lot in the "run and gun" style offense he was setting records with. Now its been made clear. Ben, manage the game, don't make mistaks, be smart with the ball, and dang it, Scramble!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #16
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Its all about Big Ben being smart with the ball and not being afraid to Run with it once in a while. The 2 scrambles he had last night were clutch, and those are the type of plays that have been missing. Feel the heat, step up, and when you notice the linebackers are not in the middle of the field, run for the first down. Basic crap that he was doing great until last season when he started to get sacked a lot in the "run and gun" style offense he was setting records with. Now its been made clear. Ben, manage the game, don't make mistaks, be smart with the ball, and dang it, Scramble!
I agree with what you said. Take off when you can, get he first down with your legs

BUT, I don't think it's a matter of ben being scared and more of the defense not letting ben get out of the pocket, where everyone knows he is most dangerous. He said it himself I believe. I'll try to look for the quote

But yeah, when he can he has to take off, just like last night. Most of the times it's a positive gain
Old 11-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

ok.. im going to catch a lot of hate here.. but it needs to be said. he made a couple of bonehead throws last night. i remember the screen pass and the pass to miller were both terrible. both probably should have been picked off. if those get picked off, who knows.. this could be like the day after the colts game all over again. i thought for the most part he played good in the colts game, however his bonehead passes were picked off.. i thought he played a good game last night, but this time his bonehead passes werent intercepted.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #18
Makaveli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
And Danny Weurfell was the fishizzle at Florida....but that meant nothing at the time.

I was always down on that wonky delivery of Rivers and the lack of velocity on the deep ball because of it. No doubt that he can ball, but Rivers is a dick and I'm glad we got Ben.

I remember seeing this report on Ben's workout in college and knew he was the deal.

Ben Roethlisberger QB Roethlisberger's workout was scripted by Steve Clarkson, who is a former San Jose State QB and currently helps prepare quarterbacks for the NFL. Roethlisberger (6-4 7/8, 240) ran his 40s in 4.81 and 4.82. He had a 30-inch vertical, a 4.32 short shuttle and a 6.81 three-cone drill.

His positional drills were referred to as outstanding. They had him throw a lot of passes on the move, and threw about 80 passes total with very good accuracy. He threw to Grant Mattos, who was with the Chargers last year, along with Cal Murry, a running back at Miami, Ohio this past year and tight end Matt Brandt (no relation). They finished the workout by having him stand flat-footed on his own 40 and throwing to receivers in five-yard increments starting at the opposing 30-yard line. By the end of the drill, he was connecting to receivers in the end zone 60 yards away. One Giants personnel guy said to me, "I've seen enough," as in Roethlisberger can't get any better. Another person there said, "If Al Davis passes on him, he's making a big mistake."

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/131757-post1.html
Yea,....much was made of the "hitch" in his (Phil's) throwing motion. But he was an extremely productive, accurate, intelligent, and highly competitive leader of men whom played the position since childhood as a coach's son. (Note the still prodigious strength of my pimp hand)

As far as Ben,..i remember the reports of his workouts at the time very well. In fact it was also said that the Giants had even told him shortly before the draft that he'd been "tapped" by them.

I guess thats what explained his surprise when he didn't go in the top ten,...even though he was invited to N.Y for this reason.

But i digress,....as the past is the past and the kid does have what it takes to be a great one in terms of physical tools. But what will determine not only his future,.. but the immediate future of this franchise will be whether or not he has what it takes "upstairs" and within his "heart".
Old 11-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #19
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

Still with thr o line we have ben is our best fit do you really think Eli or the mouth Rivers could do any better? I say no way Ben is the man.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #20
Makaveli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
Still with thr o line we have ben is our best fit do you really think Eli or the mouth Rivers could do any better? I say no way Ben is the man.

I feel you,...in terms of your opinion striker. But i think given the exact circumstances under which Ben stepped upon the field for us,...and more specifically the same roster around him,(The Unit that made the Superbowl run),...he (Philip) would have performed at the very least just well as Ben did.

In fact,...i'd go as far as to say we would have repeated and coach Cowher might very well still be our head Coach.

But,...all of that is but mere theory on my part. Fate (along with Eli Manning ) decided that Ben was indeed the "future" of this franchise,.....whatever that might be,.........
Closed Thread