Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-10-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,799 Posts
Default Last Meaningful Game Of Year?

The most important game of the season was last Sunday's loss to the Bengals. With that loss any real possibility of a home playoff game, let alone a first round bye, went out the window. Someday some wildcard team is going to win three road playoff games to get to the Super Bowl (just as the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit on the Yankees last year), but I wouldn't count on it happening this year.

That having been said, the season is not yet over. However, if the Steelers lose tomorrow and go to 7-6, I believe any playoff hopes will no longer be realistic. So as I watch tomorrow, it will be with the anxiety that with a loss it will be the last meaningful game of the year.

Too pessimistic or cold reality?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Last Meaningful Game Of Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
The most important game of the season was last Sunday's loss to the Bengals. With that loss any real possibility of a home playoff game, let alone a first round bye, went out the window. Someday some wildcard team is going to win three road playoff games to get to the Super Bowl (just as the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit on the Yankees last year), but I wouldn't count on it happening this year.

That having been said, the season is not yet over. However, if the Steelers lose tomorrow and go to 7-6, I believe any playoff hopes will no longer be realistic. So as I watch tomorrow, it will be with the anxiety that with a loss it will be the last meaningful game of the year.

Too pessimistic or cold reality?

A little Of Both Atlanta Dan I hate To admit it. But We Can Still Make The Playoffs With a Cincy loss.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
StillerPaul
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 821

I'm kinda teetering on the "half empty glass, half full glass" myself. A big part of me believes that if we win sunday it becomes a whole new season. We all know how Cowher can motivate and drive once the team gets a little confidence. But should we lose? It's 4 in a row and a clear sign of the team not buying into it any more IMO. I guess time will tell.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #4
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844

Who cares about the loss to Cincy. It's over and can't be corrected so it doesn't matter to what happens from here on out. At that point in the season, it was the biggest game of the year but the NFL season keeps on moving.

Sunday's game against the Bears is the most important of the season. Win and next week is the most importatant. The Steelers aren't out of this, yet, and I don't see why they can't win out and make the playoffs.

As for wildcard teams winning it all, I think the '83 Raiders were the first to do it. I 99% sure that the '97 Broncos won three straight on the road, including the AFC championship game in Pittsburgh, to win the SB.

It's not impossible to do it. Is this the team that can do it again? I don't know, but I do know that playing at home has been no guarantee of success for the Steelers. All any team has to do to have a chance to win the SB is get in the playoffs.

You're right about losing, 7-6 is out of it. Unless you're in the AFC East. Screw it. This week's game is the most important of the season. And after the Steelers win, next week is the most important.

Last edited by SalukiSteelers; 12-10-2005 at 11:30 AM.
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

We Got More Things To Be Concerned about. We need To Focus on winning the final 4 Games that We Can possibly Get in the Playoffs.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiSteelers
Who cares about the loss to Cincy. It's over and can't be corrected so it doesn't matter to what happens from here on out. At that point in the season, it was the biggest game of the year but the NFL season keeps on moving.

Sunday's game against the Bears is the most important of the season. Win and next week is the most importatant. The Steelers aren't out of this, yet, and I don't see why they can't win out and make the playoffs.

As for wildcard teams winning it all, I think the '83 Raiders were the first to do it. I 99% sure that the '97 Broncos won three straight on the road, including the AFC championship game in Pittsburgh, to win the SB.

It's not impossible to do it. Is this the team that can do it again? I don't know, but I do know that playing at home has been no guarantee of success for the Steelers. All any team has to do to have a chance to win the SB is get in the playoffs.

You're right about losing, 7-6 is out of it. Unless you're in the AFC East. Screw it. This week's game is the most important of the season. And after the Steelers win, next week is the most important.
Raiders won it all as wild card in 1980 but beat Houston at home before beating Cleveland and San Diego on road

Denver beat Jax at home before beating KC and Steelers on road in 1997

Ravens won it all in 2000 by beating Denver at home and then winning at Tennessee and Oakland on the road

No team has won three playoff games on the road to make the Super Bowl.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:52 PM   #7
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844

My bad, AD. I guess this year will be the first. Here we go Steelers.
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

if we lose sunday then yes it is the last meaningful game of the year, cause there'll be no real chance at a playoff birth, but if we win the next week is the most important and so on and so on. we are gonna win out and i think get the last wildcard
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

We Need To Win and hope That Some how The Bengals Lose 3 Of Their Final 4 So We Can Take Back The Divison.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

i could care less about the division, just making the playoffs is more important then worrying about a pointless division championship
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote