Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,157 Posts
Default Re: Steelers' Russell becomes dual threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
If the defenses only rush 4 or 5....ABSOLUTELY!! If they blitz more, the QB has to recognize and accept responsibility.

When you cant convert running the ball because the FB is stuffed in the hole.....Its the FB.
i was refering to not converting on short yardage. the steelers are 28th in YPC.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,321 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
When the fullback is stuffed because two lineman were able to get to him, it is the O line.
When did this happen?? I cant recall this happening in a game this season. Could you please remind me of when??
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #23
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,321 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i was refering to not converting on short yardage. the steelers are 28th in YPC.
Linemen are not in the backfield .5 seconds on short yardage plays. That is a total fabrication. On most short yardage plays the defense often plugs up the O line, or occupies a blocker and the plays have taken too long to develop and the LB;'s fill, or the lead blockers, TE's and FB's too have been stuffed into the hole.

Sure, if we had dominant run blockers they should get more push, but even if they can stalemate a DT and turn them, a decent blocking FB can seal a LB and get the conversion. That is what we saw McHugh do in the last game.

I have never said that we have the best O line in the game, in fact I think they were only the 15-20th best line when healthy. But even an adequate O line can block well for RB's.....the absense of a guy like Kreider, Lester, Williams, Witman is what hampers the Steelers the most on short yardage. McHugh helps out immensely.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #24
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I have always liked Russle.. I think that next year we will have Parker...Mendenhall... Russle... and we whould trade Moore...
Moores value should be decent
Old 11-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #25
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Linemen are not in the backfield .5 seconds on short yardage plays. That is a total fabrication. On most short yardage plays the defense often plugs up the O line, or occupies a blocker and the plays have taken too long to develop and the LB;'s fill, or the lead blockers, TE's and FB's too have been stuffed into the hole.

Sure, if we had dominant run blockers they should get more push, but even if they can stalemate a DT and turn them, a decent blocking FB can seal a LB and get the conversion. That is what we saw McHugh do in the last game.

I have never said that we have the best O line in the game, in fact I think they were only the 15-20th best line when healthy. But even an adequate O line can block well for RB's.....the absense of a guy like Kreider, Lester, Williams, Witman is what hampers the Steelers the most on short yardage. McHugh helps out immensely.
Agree with that. Although I consider the Steelers offensive line to be average, in most circumstances, average is GOOD ENOUGH!

I don't know Jackson, some of the members here act as if 25 or 26 NFL teams have some type of TREMENDOUSLY talented offensive line while the Steeelers are stuck with all of the scrubs. As a whole, there's only 4 or 5 teams out there that are truly talented at every offensive line position.

You hit on it man, the Steelers RECENT use of a lead blocking FB will be KEY to their success. The Steelers offensive line is not, was not, and will not be good enough to successfully run the ball from a singleback formation.

As we've seen most of the season, a run from the singleback most often spells disaster because the first defender who's able to shake his block or shoot through the hole of the pulling guard will hit the RB in the backfield. We need the blocking FB to absorb that initial penetration, as you obviously know, it makes a world of difference.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #26
Steeldude
Living Legend

i have been saying since last year that russell deserves a chance and is a good RB.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #27
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinart82 View Post
I just don't care for the speed back very much, I'ld rather have a guy that can ware down the "d." Willie has done some great things, but the only way he is effictive is if the "o" line is doing great. He can't use poewr to burst threw small holes.
You must be thinking of a big back like Brandon Jacobs he is a power runner.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #28
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Ill take Russell and Moore over Mendenhall. He hasnt shown me anything. I know he is hurt but still.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #29
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
i have been saying since last year that russell deserves a chance and is a good RB.
Choosing between options like Moore, Mendenhall & Russell to complement FWP is a nice problem to have.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #30
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I'll take Russell over Davenport every single time. I like the change.