Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #31
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485
Default Re: Steelers' Russell becomes dual threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
You must be thinking of a big back like Brandon Jacobs he is a power runner.
I do like Brandon Jacobs a lot. And I think the Giants are running the ball like the Steelers used to!
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #32
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think davis can block well enough to get the job done...

but with the emergance of moore and the flashing of what can be for russell, it does look like we wasted our 1st rd pick

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #33
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

I think it's good to put things in perspecitve here. I realize that some RB's quickly transition to the NFL, but for many it takes time. Although the positions are different, Polamalu and Timmons for instance, were skewered by many fans after their first year......Personally, I would give Mendenhall at least another year before considering him a "bust."

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #34
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
I'll take Russell over Davenport every single time. I like the change.
Me Too.

As for Davis being good enough FB to get the job done. He hasnt. What I dont get is if he was kept for flexibility instead of blocking, what has Carey Davis really contributed in Receiving yards?? Rushing yards?? Special Teams tackles??

Bronco's current FB Peyton Hillis was a 7th round pick and is a better FB than Carey Davis. His being drafted instead of Humpal or Mundy would have upgraded our running game immensely.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #35
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Me Too.

As for Davis being good enough FB to get the job done. He hasnt. What I dont get is if he was kept for flexibility instead of blocking, what has Carey Davis really contributed in Receiving yards?? Rushing yards?? Special Teams tackles??

Bronco's current FB Peyton Hillis was a 7th round pick and is a better FB than Carey Davis. His being drafted instead of Humpal or Mundy would have upgraded our running game immensely.
I don't know.

I did see him come around the corner last week (I think it was) and actually lay someone out, clearing the way.

He also carried pretty well last year when Willie went down the few times he was given the ball.

Didn't he also have a fullback weakside run that went for a first down on a third down play?

For the few times he is given the ball, he seems to do ok.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #36
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Ill take Russell and Moore over Mendenhall. He hasnt shown me anything. I know he is hurt but still.
You have to be kidding me. First, doesn't he have to have the TIME to actually develop and PLAY at this level before we start taking shots at him? Goodness. He played what, 4 games and then had his shoulder broken by (Thank you HTG for this GREAT name) Stabbit Ray.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #37
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I don't know.

I did see him come around the corner last week (I think it was) and actually lay someone out, clearing the way.

He also carried pretty well last year when Willie went down the few times he was given the ball.

Didn't he also have a fullback weakside run that went for a first down on a third down play?

For the few times he is given the ball, he seems to do ok.
Tell me....when he "laid somebody out" did he hit them straight up or take them out at the knees?? I'll guess the latter.

On 3rd and 1 around midfield against the chargers in the 3rd quarter, he gets stuffed in the hole by the Chargers ILB Steven Cooper, (that highly touted 6th rounder from Maine) who also tackles Moore for a loss. That is the essence of Davis' inability to block somebody mano-a-mano.

Otherwise Davis has 11 rushes for 24 yards and 3 receptions for 13 yards and has been credited with 0 special teams tackles. His 58 total yards on kick returns is his best part of his game, but IMO not impressive enough to make up for the fact that he is 1/2 the run blocker that McHugh is.

FB was the easiest position to improve this offseason, but its no longer valued in the new Steeler offense which is ranked near the bottom of the NFL in 3rd and short conversions.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #38
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Tell me....when he "laid somebody out" did he hit them straight up or take them out at the knees?? I'll guess the latter.

On 3rd and 1 around midfield against the chargers in the 3rd quarter, he gets stuffed in the hole by the Chargers ILB Steven Cooper, (that highly touted 6th rounder from Maine) who also tackles Moore for a loss. That is the essence of Davis' inability to block somebody mano-a-mano.

Otherwise Davis has 11 rushes for 24 yards and 3 receptions for 13 yards and has been credited with 0 special teams tackles. His 58 total yards on kick returns is his best part of his game, but IMO not impressive enough to make up for the fact that he is 1/2 the run blocker that McHugh is.

FB was the easiest position to improve this offseason, but its no longer valued in the new Steeler offense which is ranked near the bottom of the NFL in 3rd and short conversions.
And I doubt very much FB is the reason why.

When your line is completely disrespected, everything else goes down hill.

You may be right that we need to change somethings. But there is no barometer which can measure what needs to change effectively enough (outside of receivers dropping balls or RB's fumbling) until the O line is fixed. It all starts there.