Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' quiet grinders are heard By Jim Wexell

11/22/2008
Steelers' quiet grinders are heard
By Jim Wexell , For the Herald-Standard
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/n...d=468632&rfi=6

PITTSBURGH - Perhaps they're flying under the radar at 8-3, but the Steelers like it that way.

"It's kind of our thing," Troy Polamalu said after his interception ended Thursday night's 27-10 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.

"We're not a flashy team," he said. "We're not the Dallas Cowboys, where we have a lot of stars and draw a lot of attention. We grind 'em out and we play kind of ugly, rough and physical. And we win, thank God. But the personality of the city matches the personality of the team. It's so blue collar, none of that New York-Los Angeles-Hollywood mentality within us, and we like that."

The grind-it-out players stepped up to take a bow against the Bengals.

Tight end Heath Miller is one quiet guy who made his presence felt early. He made up for a holding penalty early in the second quarter by catching a 14-yard pass on the next snap. He finished the drive with a 3-yard touchdown catch near the right pylon to tie the game, 7-7.

"It was just a good play call and a good throw. I had the easy part," said Miller. "I was open in the flat and Matt Spaeth had a good pick route on the play."

Spaeth, sitting next to Miller in the locker room, laughed at the description. He'd caught 12 passes during Miller's two-game absence, but was blanked this week as Miller caught four passes for 44 yards and the touchdown. Miller also set up Gary Russell's 2-yard touchdown run with a 19-yard catch down the left seam after quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had checked down from the right side.

Russell's touchdown late in the third quarter put the Steelers ahead by 20-7 and sealed the win. It was the first career touchdown for Russell, another of the quiet grinders.

"I consider myself a power back. I'm not Willie fast," Russell said of Willie Parker.

Russell appears to have secured the short-yardage role Thursday. He converted a fourth-and-1 on the Steelers' first scoring drive and was the first and only option for the Steelers at the goal line.

"I'm only in my second year," Russell said. "Usually they call on guys who've been here awhile. When he called my number, it surprised me. It's something you dream of."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin also called Mewelde Moore's number Thursday night when Parker aggravated his knee, and Moore responded with a workmanlike 56 yards on 15 carries to lead all rushers. Moore also took a screen pass 18 yards to not only establish a team-high for the play this season, it set up Roethlisberger's 8-yard touchdown run to finish the scoring.

"You could read the defense and see it was going to work," Moore said of the screen pass. "Saw it, liked it, hit it."

Of course, the bluest collar among these blue-collar Steelers belongs to defensive end Aaron Smith. He batted three passes, sniffed out a screen for no gain, and blew up several running plays Thursday night. The Bengals rushed for only 43 yards on 20 carries.

"To be 8-3 with these few days off is nice," said the quiet giant. "Coming off that short week is hard. It was hard to come back, so we'll get some rest and get our legs back underneath us."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555
Default Re: Steelers' quiet grinders are heard By Jim Wexell

Rest up Boys, and then put the pedal to the metal down the stretch and get that first round bye !!!
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

Aaron Smith honestly is one of the best players on the team.

If the only stat that really mattered for DE's and Pro Bowls wasn't just sacks, he would have gone to multiple Pro Bowls
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

With the injuries we have this season combined with our tough schedule....it is amazing that we are 8-3..

Great job Steelers....Take your 10 days to get healty and go get them Patriots
Old 11-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
With the injuries we have this season combined with our tough schedule....it is amazing that we are 8-3..

Great job Steelers....Take your 10 days to get healty and go get them Patriots
Agreed hopefully we can get our players back from injuries and everyone can get rested and we can go to foxboro and whip those patriots.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Heath Miller is a 'quiet guy" because Arians is an idiot.

Throw him the damn ball.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Heath Miller is a 'quiet guy" because Arians is an idiot.

Throw him the damn ball.

I am sure you were screaming for that all those years with Cowher as well right? Seems to me, we are throwing more to our TE now then we ever have before.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Dizzle43
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8235

Our record with the difficutly of our schedule is outstanding!! I'm proud of the coaches and the team so far. We should be able to get a little more healthy before the game against the cheaters.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

We are an ugly team!

Its why we are so beautiful!!!

The Steelers do not do 16-0, not since I've been a fan(around 2 or 3, only 22 now). However, we still get to Superbowls because when the going gets tough, we might make mistakes, but we dig in and tough it out in the trenches.

I love where we are, and wouldn't see it any other way.

In 3 games that we've lost, it is for a total of what? 16 points behind? 5 Eagles, 4 Colts, 7 Giants. Because of this, I'm loving where we are.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Seems to me, we are throwing more to our TE now then we ever have before.
Miller had 1 receiving TD all year? That's not what I would effective use of your #1 draft pick TE. Truth is, Ben's ego is having a hard time checking down to those measly 12 yard catches, when the voices in his brain tell him to throw the 70 yd bombs, that's what that is all about.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote