Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323
Default Kids I Have Seen

Lets try to keep our breakdowns in one place so they will be easy to find and go back to.

Alex Mack / Center / Cal. / 6'5" - 315 - 5.13/40 / 1st round.
Strong in run blocking and pass protection. Great footwork and technique. Hardly ever misses a block and can engage at the line, slip the block and move down field. Works till after the whistle, and I have seen him get a little nasty. Could probably start for most teams next year, could start for ours tomorrow. I haven't wanted anyone this bad since that little blond in the 10th grade.

Eric Wood / Center / Louisville / 6'4" - 305 - 5.10/40 / Probably 3rd round.
Saw him for the 1st time yesterday and he surprised the hell out of me. Very strong, with good footwork. Will drive the DT off the line often 5 yards deep. Not as good at down field blocking as Mack, but not bad either. Keeps in front of his man on pass protection and never gets driven back, at one point I saw him block 2 pass rushers and neither of them got close to the QB. Seems to control his man easily. A lot like Mack but not as good at this time. If we don't get Mack or Luigs, I would grab him in the 3rd.

Peria Jerry / DT-DE / Old Miss. / 6'2" - 300 - 4.95/40 / 2nd, maybe 1st round.
Quick for his size. Strong and will take on blockers and hold at the line. Comes of the line low and has good drive in pass rush. Looks to me that he may rely a bit to much on his physical strength and may need to develop a couple more moves in the pros. Kids got one hell on a motor, and just wouldn't quit. Can he play DE for us? I think so. Don't think I want him in the 1st, but if he's there in the 2nd I got to think hard about it. 3rd round, no brainier, but not going to happen.

Mitch King / DE / Iowa / 6'3" - 278 - 4.70/4 / 5th or 6th round.
Now you knew there would be 1 Iowa Kid. The heart and sole of a very good D-line. Strong, hard working , blue collar type, the type Pittsburgh and their fans fall in love with. Plays for whistle to whistle, will not give up on any play. Good tackler, it he gets his hands on them, they go down, and hits like a truck. Could make a very good backup in our 3-4 line.

Mark Parson / CB / Ohio / 5'10" - 195 - 4.39/40 / 4th or 3rd round.
Can play man to man and is not afraid on anyone. Will run stride for stride with almost any WR. and breaks up a lot of passes. Will punish a WR after he does make the catch. Hits very very hard. Doesn't give up the big play to often. This is my 2nd favorite player in the draft.

Louis Vasquez / Guard / Texas Tech. / 6'6" - 335 - 5.25/40 / 5th or 6th round.
Is sliding because of injury's this year, but he does not have a history of injures. I believe he played 22 consecutive games before this year. Did not give up a sack last year playing for pass happy Texas Tech. Big body with descent footwork, will help to hold the middle of the line which I think we need help at. Probably would need a years work before he is ready to really contribute.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Kids I Have Seen

I like what I saw in Eric Wood. Mack is great, but something tells me he'll be picked before the steelers

In that case, Wood could work as a 2nd-3rd rounder. I like the the way he always drive forward, that's just what we need

Quote:
Mark Parson / CB / Ohio / 5'10" - 195 - 4.39/40 / 4th or 3rd round.
Can play man to man and is not afraid on anyone. Will run stride for stride with almost any WR. and breaks up a lot of passes. Will punish a WR after he does make the catch. Hits very very hard. Doesn't give up the big play to often. This is my 2nd favorite player in the draft.
He sounds pretty good too

Good breakdown tex
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Tex, did you see the LSU-Ole Miss game? Had a look at some guys that I already mentioned in the 2009 Mock thread, but here are a few more.

Curtis Taylor- FS, LSU....big and tall safety, but didnt look like he had great range. Was late getting over on a few pass plays and while a good hitter, he wasnt in the action a lot in run support.

Marlon Favorite- DT-LSU.....solid 3 technique guy that plugs the middle on run plays and gets a good bull rush in the pass to disrupt the pocket. Looks like a 4-3 DT, but not a 3-4 DE. Might be a 3rd round or later guy.

Tyson Jackson- DE, LSU- Again, I dont see the hype on Jackson. He likes to stand up and play "patty-cake" in pass rush. The rebels TE #80 handled him in pass blocking several times. In the run game Jackson holds his own, but not what I would call a premier run stuffer. He could go in the first round by all the hype, or could slide and be the Dre Moore of this years draft.

Herman Johnson OG LSU- Just a massive man. Comes out low in run blocking and immediately stands up which allows the DT's to get leverage on him. He just falls forward and moves the pile. Good feet for such a large guy and handles his own in pass protection. Not a guy that is gonna pull or get downfield well on screens, but more a Larry Allen, Flozell Adams guy that locks onto defenders and keeps pushing. If he can learn to keep low he can be great, or if he can drop some LB's he might be a better RT.

Michael Oher- OT Ole Miss- like I said before, he is the total package in a LT and will go in the top 5 or 10 picks.

Peria Jerry, DT Ole Miss- Posted elsewhere that I like his game, strong, great motor, stays low and might be a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Should go in the end of the 1st or then the 2nd round.

Ciron Black- OT LSU. Saw some of the same things here as in the Alabama game. not great technique, decent feet, but dips his head in pass protection a lot. He got swam, ripped and bull rushed by Hardy several times and beat, but luckily the pass plays were quick 3 step drops. Run plays he looks to use a shoulder and defenders slip off him, but when he uses his hands he locks on well. At least he stayed on his feet more than compared to the Bama game. Black should stay another year. All I have seen says he is a 4th rounder or later, but many have him as a top 5 tackle......he just hasnt show it that much to me.

Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss- Hardy looked quick and surprisingly powerful for a smaller DE. At 265 lbs, he looked more powerful than Tyson Jackson did, or he just did a better job bull rushing Ciron Black than Jackson did John Jerry. He was apparently injured or coming off one, but looked like an interesting prospect for a 4-3 DE. Might be too big to play OLB for a 3-4, but can rush the passer.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
Lets try to keep our breakdowns in one place so they will be easy to find and go back to.

Alex Mack / Center / Cal. / 6'5" - 315 - 5.13/40 / 1st round.
Strong in run blocking and pass protection. Great footwork and technique. Hardly ever misses a block and can engage at the line, slip the block and move down field. Works till after the whistle, and I have seen him get a little nasty. Could probably start for most teams next year, could start for ours tomorrow. I haven't wanted anyone this bad since that little blond in the 10th grade.

Eric Wood / Center / Louisville / 6'4" - 305 - 5.10/40 / Probably 3rd round.
Saw him for the 1st time yesterday and he surprised the hell out of me. Very strong, with good footwork. Will drive the DT off the line often 5 yards deep. Not as good at down field blocking as Mack, but not bad either. Keeps in front of his man on pass protection and never gets driven back, at one point I saw him block 2 pass rushers and neither of them got close to the QB. Seems to control his man easily. A lot like Mack but not as good at this time. If we don't get Mack or Luigs, I would grab him in the 3rd.
Glad to see you are coming around to Wood....I still have him graded above Luigs (only because I think he fits our scheme better)

Nice to think that we could possibley get a OC in the 1st....2nd...or 3rd round. I think this draft is going to provide us with an OT..and an OC...but we may find it harder to come up with the DE that we need..

I have been looking at some other DT's that may be able to play DE in the 3-4...

Fili Moala USC...6'4. 292 lbs
Been in some legal trouble but he has the muscle..

Vince Oghobaase from Duke 6'6 310 lbs
I dont see an ounce of fat on this dude...His size reminds me a little of Mario Williams

Jarron Gilbert from San Jose State 6'5 286 lbs
My sleeper favorite for this year....He has 21.5 tackles for loss and 9 sacks ....We may be able to get him at the end of the 3rd to 4th round.

Dorell Scott of Clemson 6'4 310 lbs
Described as having a great work ethic...and can bench press a mini-van
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Glad to see you are coming around to Wood....I still have him graded above Luigs (only because I think he fits our scheme better)

Nice to think that we could possibley get a OC in the 1st....2nd...or 3rd round. I think this draft is going to provide us with an OT..and an OC...but we may find it harder to come up with the DE that we need..

I have been looking at some other DT's that may be able to play DE in the 3-4...

Fili Moala USC...6'4. 292 lbs
Been in some legal trouble but he has the muscle..

Vince Oghobaase from Duke 6'6 310 lbs
I dont see an ounce of fat on this dude...His size reminds me a little of Mario Williams

Jarron Gilbert from San Jose State 6'5 286 lbs
My sleeper favorite for this year....He has 21.5 tackles for loss and 9 sacks ....We may be able to get him at the end of the 3rd to 4th round.

Dorell Scott of Clemson 6'4 310 lbs
Described as having a great work ethic...and can bench press a mini-van
You can put me on the Wood bandwagon, but I do want to see him again.. I would still rather have Mack, but say we could make a move to get one of the sure fire OTs and still pick up Wood. That could instantly improve out O-line.

Oghobaase, and Scott both look to me to have more of a NT mentality, but that doesn't mean they couldn't make the switch. I think there may be a few other names you may be able to add, Evander Hood of Missu. Vance Walker of GT, Ricky Jean-Fancois of LSU if he comes out. We may not be able to find an starter, but there may be a quality backup there. I don't know anything about Jarron Gilbert, but if you like him I intend to watch for him.

Simply, The Chief.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Tex, did you see the LSU-Ole Miss game? Had a look at some guys that I already mentioned in the 2009 Mock thread, but here are a few more.

Curtis Taylor- FS, LSU....big and tall safety, but didnt look like he had great range. Was late getting over on a few pass plays and while a good hitter, he wasnt in the action a lot in run support.

Marlon Favorite- DT-LSU.....solid 3 technique guy that plugs the middle on run plays and gets a good bull rush in the pass to disrupt the pocket. Looks like a 4-3 DT, but not a 3-4 DE. Might be a 3rd round or later guy.

Tyson Jackson- DE, LSU- Again, I dont see the hype on Jackson. He likes to stand up and play "patty-cake" in pass rush. The rebels TE #80 handled him in pass blocking several times. In the run game Jackson holds his own, but not what I would call a premier run stuffer. He could go in the first round by all the hype, or could slide and be the Dre Moore of this years draft.

Herman Johnson OG LSU- Just a massive man. Comes out low in run blocking and immediately stands up which allows the DT's to get leverage on him. He just falls forward and moves the pile. Good feet for such a large guy and handles his own in pass protection. Not a guy that is gonna pull or get downfield well on screens, but more a Larry Allen, Flozell Adams guy that locks onto defenders and keeps pushing. If he can learn to keep low he can be great, or if he can drop some LB's he might be a better RT.

Michael Oher- OT Ole Miss- like I said before, he is the total package in a LT and will go in the top 5 or 10 picks.

Peria Jerry, DT Ole Miss- Posted elsewhere that I like his game, strong, great motor, stays low and might be a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Should go in the end of the 1st or then the 2nd round.

Ciron Black- OT LSU. Saw some of the same things here as in the Alabama game. not great technique, decent feet, but dips his head in pass protection a lot. He got swam, ripped and bull rushed by Hardy several times and beat, but luckily the pass plays were quick 3 step drops. Run plays he looks to use a shoulder and defenders slip off him, but when he uses his hands he locks on well. At least he stayed on his feet more than compared to the Bama game. Black should stay another year. All I have seen says he is a 4th rounder or later, but many have him as a top 5 tackle......he just hasnt show it that much to me.

Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss- Hardy looked quick and surprisingly powerful for a smaller DE. At 265 lbs, he looked more powerful than Tyson Jackson did, or he just did a better job bull rushing Ciron Black than Jackson did John Jerry. He was apparently injured or coming off one, but looked like an interesting prospect for a 4-3 DE. Might be too big to play OLB for a 3-4, but can rush the passer.
Yes I did see the game and got it recorded and I will be watching it again.

I've always liked Favorite but I'm not sure he has a place on our line.

Both Jackson and Black are really pissing me off, cause I know they are better that they are playing. Jackson seems to just want to try an run around blocks and Black has gotten to where he just throws himself and the defenders legs instead of taking them on. Right now they can both take a flying leap for all I care..

Did It look to you like Curtis Taylor got a late brake on all most every play. He just didn't look to me that he was sure what he was going to do next.

Oher is Oher and will be gone before I get back from the bathroom.

I really like Jerry, but I think we would have to us our 1st pick on him.

Herman Johnson is now LSUs best lineman, but I am afraid will cost to much. Besides I still really like Vasquez of Texas Tech.

Have you see Jason Smith of Baylor this year?

Simply, The Chief.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:51 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
You can put me on the Wood bandwagon, but I do want to see him again.. I would still rather have Mack, but say we could make a move to get one of the sure fire OTs and still pick up Wood. That could instantly improve out O-line.

Oghobaase, and Scott both look to me to have more of a NT mentality, but that doesn't mean they couldn't make the switch. I think there may be a few other names you may be able to add, Evander Hood of Missu. Vance Walker of GT, Ricky Jean-Fancois of LSU if he comes out. We may not be able to find an starter, but there may be a quality backup there. I don't know anything about Jarron Gilbert, but if you like him I intend to watch for him.
I think he has quietly led the nation in tackles for loss....granted we have to take his level of competition into consideration...but I think he is this years "Langford"

(Of course that means that he will shoot up the boards and we will have no chance to get him)
Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Yes I did see the game and got it recorded and I will be watching it again.

I've always liked Favorite but I'm not sure he has a place on our line.

Both Jackson and Black are really pissing me off, cause I know they are better that they are playing. Jackson seems to just want to try an run around blocks and Black has gotten to where he just throws himself and the defenders legs instead of taking them on. Right now they can both take a flying leap for all I care..

Did It look to you like Curtis Taylor got a late brake on all most every play. He just didn't look to me that he was sure what he was going to do next.

Oher is Oher and will be gone before I get back from the bathroom.

I really like Jerry, but I think we would have to us our 1st pick on him.

Herman Johnson is now LSUs best lineman, but I am afraid will cost to much. Besides I still really like Vasquez of Texas Tech.

Have you see Jason Smith of Baylor this year?
I agree. Favorite is pretty much a 4-3 DT and doesnt fit well in a 3-4. Jackson plays much like Bruce Davis did at UCLA...he doesnt engage the blocker in pass rush and actually seeing the Miss TE handle him wasnt impressive.

Yeah, Taylor looked like a slow 230lb safety, but he only weighs somewhere around 205. Pass on him. Jerry could possibly be around in the top of the 2nd and we would have to trade up and get him, much like was done to draft Marvel Smith in the 2nd round.

Herman Johnson doesnt fit with the Steelers IMO. He's like a bigger,stiffer version of Max Starks that plays guard. I too like what I saw of Vasquez, also like Dockery from Texas and the Wisconsin guard Kemp. Robinson will be gone early.

I havent seen Jason Smith at all. Read some good things, but tough to say. Converted TE, has the height at 6'5", but a little light at under 300lbs. Have to see if he has the frame to add more weight and how he is in the run game.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I havent seen Jason Smith at all. Read some good things, but tough to say. Converted TE, has the height at 6'5", but a little light at under 300lbs. Have to see if he has the frame to add more weight and how he is in the run game.
Smith might be another one of those players that drive us crazy...by shooting up the draft board when we think that he might be a steal in the second round

Smith played one year at TE at Baylor then switched to OT in 2006......he has pretty quick feet and therefore nice footwork and he has a very nice hand punch....I have him at 6'4 and 305.... some scouts say that his negatives are that he has been hampered by a bad knee, missing three games in 2007 and two this year. Also said that he has room to gain strenth.

I havent seen anywhere where he has pigeon-holed him as a zone blocker,,,but have seen several draftnicks say that it is very hard for DE's to get the corner on him.

Very intriguing.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Smith might be another one of those players that drive us crazy...by shooting up the draft board when we think that he might be a steal in the second round

Smith played one year at TE at Baylor then switched to OT in 2006......he has pretty quick feet and therefore nice footwork and he has a very nice hand punch....I have him at 6'4 and 305.... some scouts say that his negatives are that he has been hampered by a bad knee, missing three games in 2007 and two this year. Also said that he has room to gain strenth.

I havent seen anywhere where he has pigeon-holed him as a zone blocker,,,but have seen several draftnicks say that it is very hard for DE's to get the corner on him.

Very intriguing.
Thanks, I cant find any Baylor games on to watch, so this is good to hear. I think Kiper has him as the #3 OT, so probably already shooting up the boards. If he is to be a Steeler, he needs to run block, so I would like to see him do that.

Guys in last years draft like Chris Williams, Sam Baker I thought didnt have the run game to be Steelers and Cherilus had trouble with speed rushers, so scared me too. Oher, Monroe, Andre Smith, Loadholt, Boone all can run block, but maybe only Loadholt and Boone will be there when we pick. If this Smith is a solid run blocker....he is in the mix and may help another quality guy drop to us.