Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,616
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 262
Thanked 1,304 Times in 474 Posts
Default Re: The Home Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
We better not let them do that dink and dunk BS and control the clock....

I cannot stand their FFing O.

And Farrior and Foote better be moving their butts to cover Faulk.......They have repeatedly been owned by him on Man Coverage in previous encounters. How many critical 3rd downs has that liitle turd picked up them over the years.

Maybe Timmons is the answer hes faster
We take the short stuff away and make them try to go deep - Cassel has trouble with the deep ball.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: The Home Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Next four games.

@Pats 7-4, Cowboys 7-4, @Ravens 7-4, and @Titans 10-1.

Can it get even more brutal? It would be nice if we got a few wins, but I don't know if the Steelers can do it. Signs are pointing to a 'limp into the playoffs' deal like last year, or we may even miss the playoffs entirely.

The Defense is awesome, but New England has owned it recently, offense is still a bit messy, and this Steelers team is prone to blowing games (Blowing 14-9 and 17-7 leads to NY and Indy).

Those Colts and Giants games really hurt now. This is not good.
I agree that the schedule is pretty tough. We NEED the win against the Ravens and the Pats IMO. We need to shoot for the 2nd playoff spot, though if the Titans lose another one and we win out, we will take the first spot by virtue of a tie breaker, either first or second place. However, if we beat the Pats, then we have the tiebreaker against them, and they still make overtake the Jets, though the Jets would have to sputter.

However, I have no idea how the "Signs are pointing to a 'limp into the playoffs' deal" like last year. Could you explain this to me? We are 7-3. We have lost only one game so far in the second half of the year (2-1), and our Defense is looking VERY strong, whereas it started falling off this time last year. Furthermore, our offensive line and offense in general are starting to come together, instead of starting to come apart like last year.

No, I think this stretch is starting to look just the OPPOSITE of last year.

We are prone to blowing games? 7-3, against three of the hottest teams in the league when we played them. No, I doubt we are truly PRONE to blowing games. How about the games we DIDN"T "blow" against the Ravens, the Chargers, and the Jags?

IMO we BLEW one game, and played bad in a couple others.


This is not good??? HUH?? 7-3, an offense that is beginning to come alive. 10 days for our injuries to heal again. Number 1 Defense in EVERY category. I think we are doing pretty dang good. . . . provided we get a new punter!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: The Home Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
We take the short stuff away and make them try to go deep - Cassel has trouble with the deep ball.

Yep, and also don't forget, we are playing with a healthy Troy P. We haven't had that in a couple years.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #14
DJ919
Draft Prospect
 
DJ919's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 93
Member Number: 10605
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The Home Stretch

Pats, Cowboys, Ravens, Titans...
I really think that if our Steelers play "Steelers" football, we are very much capable of getting 4 out of 4. At the least 3 out of 4.. Each of these 4 teams have QBs that WILL crack under the preasure of our Defense, so it will be very important for our Defense to establish a strong-hold. Nothing out of the norm, just intimidate the hell out of the shakey & pampered QBs that all 4 of these teams have. Punch em straight in the mouth with blitz combo packages out the wazoo. As far as Our O...Big Ben will have to be at his best. It will be all about establishing the run game to set up the pass. Pimp the hell out of the clock and keep their Os off the field for as long as possible. Our O' line will have to really step it up and keep as much heat off of Ben as possible. Should Ben become dazed and confused, or get banged up, DO NOT hesitate to make moves with B. Left. .... 4 BIG Games = 4 BIG Wins!! ... Take It To Em Steelers! ...
DJ919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,872
Member Number: 7718
Thanks: 96
Thanked 766 Times in 341 Posts
Default Re: The Home Stretch

I agree with Preacher, this year is not like last year. Last year our defense gave up drives late in games to lose several close games. We had injuries to Aaron and then to Willie. Also Arians has changed his game plan to include more short quick passes to alleviate some pressure on our O-line. And as far as Steeler football, what we have now, is what we have. Lets face it, we our not a power running football team right now. The best we can hope for is to be as productive as possible, run as often as we pass,or close to it, keep defenses honest. I like our personnel in the backfield, but honestly we cannot run, run, then pass every series. We have to pass short, or take what the defense gives us, set up manageable 2nd and 3rd downs where we have the option of run, pass-action. I am in no way advocating that we give up on the running game, its just I do not believe we have the hogs up front to grind it out. At this moment in time we seem to be more of a finesse offense. That pains me to say that.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #16
NYC SteelersFan
Banned
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 597
Member Number: 10612
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The Home Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I agree that the schedule is pretty tough. We NEED the win against the Ravens and the Pats IMO. We need to shoot for the 2nd playoff spot, though if the Titans lose another one and we win out, we will take the first spot by virtue of a tie breaker, either first or second place. However, if we beat the Pats, then we have the tiebreaker against them, and they still make overtake the Jets, though the Jets would have to sputter.

However, I have no idea how the "Signs are pointing to a 'limp into the playoffs' deal" like last year. Could you explain this to me? We are 7-3. We have lost only one game so far in the second half of the year (2-1), and our Defense is looking VERY strong, whereas it started falling off this time last year. Furthermore, our offensive line and offense in general are starting to come together, instead of starting to come apart like last year.

No, I think this stretch is starting to look just the OPPOSITE of last year.

We are prone to blowing games? 7-3, against three of the hottest teams in the league when we played them. No, I doubt we are truly PRONE to blowing games. How about the games we DIDN"T "blow" against the Ravens, the Chargers, and the Jags?

IMO we BLEW one game, and played bad in a couple others.


This is not good??? HUH?? 7-3, an offense that is beginning to come alive. 10 days for our injuries to heal again. Number 1 Defense in EVERY category. I think we are doing pretty dang good. . . . provided we get a new punter!
7-3? Preacher, are you aware we had a Thursday night game and won, making us 8-3. Or are you not counting a win against the Bengals, which I would kind of understand.

The fact is, 8 of our wins are against teams that are a combined 30-44-1. Of our 8 wins, only 2 teams have a record of .500 or better. The other 6 wins are against teams that combine to be 17-36-1. Our 3 losses are all against teams .500 or better and considering Philadelphia won't be .500 for long, our resume this year is not too good. If we had beaten one of the Giants or Colts instead of folding against both teams in similiar fashion, then I would be singing a different tune. As it stands now, If we go 4-1 to finish the season, I'll be confident in a return to the superbowl. 3-2 will get us passed the first round at the least, 2-3 or 1-4, we might as well not make the playoffs.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #17
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,616
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 262
Thanked 1,304 Times in 474 Posts
Default Re: The Home Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SteelersFan View Post
The fact is, 8 of our wins are against teams that are a combined 30-44-1. Of our 8 wins, only 2 teams have a record of .500 or better. The other 6 wins are against teams that combine to be 17-36-1. Our 3 losses are all against teams .500 or better and considering Philadelphia won't be .500 for long, our resume this year is not too good.
By that rationale, you can pretty much invalidate the Titans' and Patriots' records as well, because they've been beating creampuffs all year. We also haven't gotten stomped in any of our losses by 20 points+, whereas they have.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Blonde Bomber
Draft Prospect
 
Blonde Bomber's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 146
Member Number: 7829
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: The Home Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SteelersFan View Post
7-3? Preacher, are you aware we had a Thursday night game and won, making us 8-3. Or are you not counting a win against the Bengals, which I would kind of understand.

The fact is, 8 of our wins are against teams that are a combined 30-44-1. Of our 8 wins, only 2 teams have a record of .500 or better. The other 6 wins are against teams that combine to be 17-36-1. Our 3 losses are all against teams .500 or better and considering Philadelphia won't be .500 for long, our resume this year is not too good. If we had beaten one of the Giants or Colts instead of folding against both teams in similiar fashion, then I would be singing a different tune. As it stands now, If we go 4-1 to finish the season, I'll be confident in a return to the superbowl. 3-2 will get us passed the first round at the least, 2-3 or 1-4, we might as well not make the playoffs.
I totally agree here. Preach is drinking some kool-aid I think. I do like his optimism though.
__________________
R.I.P L.C.

How has a dink and dunk offense helped our QB I ask?
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #19
NYC SteelersFan
Banned
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 597
Member Number: 10612
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The Home Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
By that rationale, you can pretty much invalidate the Titans' and Patriots' records as well, because they've been beating creampuffs all year. We also haven't gotten stomped in any of our losses by 20 points+, whereas they have.
The Titans have 5 wins against teams that are .500 or better vs the Steelers who have only 2. And even the Patriots have 4 wins against teams .500 or better. But I still agree with you in a sense, which is all the more reason we need to go at least 3-2 to finish up the season because in all honesty, Tennessee and the Cowboys are over-rated, thePatriots don't have their #1 quarterback and Baltimore and Cleveland in no way have a better team than us.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,616
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 262
Thanked 1,304 Times in 474 Posts
Default Re: The Home Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SteelersFan View Post
The Titans have 5 wins against teams that are .500 or better vs the Steelers who have only 2. And even the Patriots have 4 wins against teams .500 or better. But I still agree with you in a sense, which is all the more reason we need to go at least 3-2 to finish up the season because in all honesty, Tennessee and the Cowboys are over-rated, thePatriots don't have their #1 quarterback and Baltimore and Cleveland in no way have a better team than us.
I didn't really check, to be honest. I agree with you - we need to go at least 3-2 down the stretch.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts