Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default It's time for Steelers' Reed to get his due

It's time for Steelers' Reed to get his due
Monday, November 24, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jeff Reed, among the most accurate kickers in the league, has never been to the Pro Bowl. Maybe it's time.

Not much bothers kicker Jeff Reed. Not Rob Bironas. Not Shaun Suisham. Not even the slippery surface at Heinz Field, the bane of all kickers. He has stood up to them all at various stages of his seven-year career with the Steelers, never flinching, never backing down, though occasionally slipping and sliding on his home turf.

"That's one of those things where you just kind of deal with the hand you've been dealt," Reed said. It might seem ironic to say that Reed, 29, has stood up to the challenge when sometimes he ends up on the seat of his pants. But, despite the elements he has to deal with at home, Reed has become every bit as dependable and rock-solid as the Steelers' top-ranked defense.

After being the NFL's most accurate kicker last season (23 of 25), he has continued that pace in 2008, converting field-goal attempts of 37 and 38 yards in Thursday night's 27-10 victory against the Cincinnati Bengals. That improved his season total to 18 of 19 (94.7 percent), his only miss coming in the Nov. 9 loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

Since the beginning of the 2007 season, Reed has converted 41 of 44 field goals, a 93.2 percent conversion that leads all NFL kickers.

"When you're kicking here, it mentally wears on you," Reed said. "I never say I'm a head-case because I'm not. That's why I can kick through this stuff. If you're a kicker in this league, you're not ever a head-case."

Reed's misses weren't just routine attempts, either.

Consider:

A 65-yarder in Denver in Week 6 last season that was attempted on the final play of the first half, only because the Steelers were playing in rarefied air, where the ball travels farther.

A 44-yard field goal against the Miami Dolphins in the muck and goo at Heinz Field last year, the first game played on a new sod surface that became water-logged from heavy rains and a broken tarp. "It was horrendous," Reed said. "It about hit the pylon."

A 51-yarder into the wind on a squishy field against the Indianapolis Colts two weeks ago at home.

Over the years, his accuracy -- heck, his dependability -- has increased, even at Heinz Field.

"Even when it's nice in the preseason, or the first couple games of the season when Pitt plays at 6 p.m. and we play at 1 [p.m. the next day], it's torn up, and that's when it's 90 degrees outside," Reed said. "You slip, you slide, sometimes better than others. Some spots are better than others, like that Miami game last year. My first attempt was horrendous. Thank goodness Ben got sacked on the second one. It was a perfect spot."

Not surprisingly, Reed is even more accurate on the road. Since missing a 41-yard attempt Nov. 28, 2005, in Indianapolis -- in the climate-controlled RCA Dome, no less -- Reed has missed just one field goal away from Heinz Field, and that was the 65-yard attempt in Denver.

Since the miss in Indianapolis three years ago, he has converted 35 of 36 field goals (97.2 percent) on the road, including all seven attempts this season.

Even though he has never been selected to the Pro Bowl, maybe it's time Reed is considered among the best, if not the best, kickers in the NFL.

"It's tough," Reed said. "There are 32 kickers in the NFL and probably at least 100 capable of playing at this level," Reed said. "I have friends who are just as good as me, if not sometimes better. You're like, man, how does he not have a job. And there are some guys you wonder how they keep their jobs, but they're veterans who make big kicks and that's what's important to people."

"That was always coach [Bill] Cowher's saying -- it's tough to get in the league, but it's even tougher to stay."

Reed not only has stayed, he has outlasted training-camp competitions from other young kickers brought in to challenge him. Among the candidates: Bironas, who was brought to training camp in 2004, and Suisham, a strong-legged kicker who was in training camp with the Steelers in 2005.

Bironas eventually signed with the Tennessee Titans and set an NFL record with eight field goals in a game against Houston Oct. 21, 2007. He was selected to the Pro Bowl and named to the All-Pro team last season.

Suisham has kicked for three teams since being cut by the Steelers, but he spent the past 2 1/2 seasons with the Washington Redskins. He has converted 56 of 69 field-goal attempts (81.2 percent) with the Redskins.

"Every time I've had a kicker in camp competing with me, they've made 85 percent of their field goals that I've seen. I know they're capable of kicking. I'm talking about in actual games and practice that I see them.

"[Bironas] was good at the time. That time was trying for me because that was coming off my hip surgery and they didn't know if I would be able to last. He was always consistent and strong-legged. He was a one-upper. If I hit a 50-yarder, he'd go back to 58 yards and say, 'Come back here.' I wouldn't fall into that trap. He's done very well for himself."

So has Reed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08329/930321-66.stm
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Re: It's time for Steelers' Reed to get his due

This is def. the year Reed makes it to the pro bowl. He has deserved this role from the last two seasons.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Reed definitely belongs in the Pro Bowl. Should have been there last year also. Not bad for a guy who won a try out at Heinz Field after he was yanked off of a farm in NC.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Yup Skippy Reed has been $$ ever since he donned the Black and Gold. We will need him to keep it up as some very close games versus better competition is coming up and points will be premium.

Can he Punt ??
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I know I've given this guy at least 1 game ball this year. He's so clutch!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

He is one crazy motherf@$&er, he would be a great closer in baseball. Gotta love that mentallity!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Hey, I've seen us employ some pretty unreliable kickers in the past, and it's a huge relief to have someone you know you can count on. Reed is a machine. We should hang on to him until his leg falls off.

The only knock against him could be that he doesn't have the strongest leg in the world, but who really cares? I'd take him any day over a guy like Janikowski who can make it from 60 yards but misses twice as often from 40.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:33 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Already posted.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
TerribleSteelyMcBeam
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
I know I've given this guy at least 1 game ball this year. He's so clutch!
there is no one else in the league i would rather have kicking a 45 yarder with :05 left.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam is offline   Reply With Quote