Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Scientists are Storytellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
SUit,

That is exactly the argument that many, including I make against the sweeping gestures of postmodernism. This is a big topic in theology right now.

The key, is dealing with foundationalism.

Do you keep foundationalism, or dispose of it? Personally, I dispose of Cartesian foundationalism, as I am truly more Kantian.
Perfect! We arrive at the same conclusion in two entirely seperate ways, in two entirely different threads. Using mathematical analogies worked for me in the other thread, and that certainly "exposes me" as a Cartesian thinker. It's also important to note the Decartes represents, more or less, the unraveling of science and philosophy, since they were both pretty much analogous prior to his writings.

Which, incidentally, is part of the problem here. With science and philosophy so closely related in the recent past, it leaves the "flank" of enligtenment open to attack.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Perfect! We arrive at the same conclusion in two entirely seperate ways, in two entirely different threads. Using mathematical analogies worked for me in the other thread, and that certainly "exposes me" as a Cartesian thinker. It's also important to note the Decartes represents, more or less, the unraveling of science and philosophy, since they were both pretty much analogous prior to his writings.

Which, incidentally, is part of the problem here. With science and philosophy so closely related in the recent past, it leaves the "flank" of enligtenment open to attack.

We would have a great time over a steak and pirogies, wouldn't we?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

If that happens, I want to be a fly on a wall listening to you two. It's enlightening (at the very least) e-watching you two have your discussions.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
revefsreleets
Living Legend

You would have appreciated the debate I got into yesterday. Little exposition: I have a new girlfriend, and I went to Thanksgiving and met her entire family yesterday. This is the whole "first impression" thing, so I was on my best behavior. Unfortunately, one of her cousins is a conspiracy theorist, and he was just going on and on and on, and I finally couldn't hold my tongue any longer (The straw that broke the camels back was his claim that we shot the whole lunar landing at Paramount Studios). Kennedy. Moon landings. Aliens.

Boy, did things get ugly...
Old 11-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

LOL! That must have been absolutely hysterical.

Did you start singing that song to him: "Their coming to take me a way ha ha, to the funny farm where life is wonderful all of the time...." Or was there awkward silence followed by an uncomfortable segue by mom like: "OK, anybody ready for some home-made pumpkin pie?"

I mean seriously, how did the conversation end?

My cousin believes the lunar landing was a conspiracy as well. He is intelligent, articulate and has made some excellent points. The problem with many conspiracy theorists is that their delivery is often so in your face & apparently close minded / one-sided, that people completely disregard what they say, even it it makes sense or is factually based to a degree.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #16
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

It happens. My mom is a big conspiracy theorist. When she rants, I've learned to smile and nod because that's the only way we'll get along.

Does the cousin believe that only the late night radio talk shows tell the truth and all other media (to include Fox News) is extremley biased and owned by the Government who (if the Dems control all aspects) will overthrow society as we know it and we'll then have a tyranny on our hands?
Old 11-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #17
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post

Does the cousin believe that only the late night radio talk shows tell the truth and all other media (to include Fox News) is extremley biased and owned by the Government who (if the Dems control all aspects) will overthrow society as we know it and we'll then have a tyranny on our hands?
Are you implying you believe that isn't true?

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #18
revefsreleets
Living Legend

He made some outrageous assertions. He basically thinks that the radiation belt (Van Allen Belt...I knew the name...he did not) surrounding the Earth is impenetrable, even by radio waves. He also had no idea that we walked on the several times, not once.

As fore the whole "hoax" thing, really, it was fairly easy stuff to refute...it would have taken a massive film crew to pull it off, and how would you keep all those people quiet for 40 years?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #19
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,423 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
He made some outrageous assertions. He basically thinks that the radiation belt (Van Allen Belt...I knew the name...he did not) surrounding the Earth is impenetrable, even by radio waves. He also had no idea that we walked on the several times, not once.

As fore the whole "hoax" thing, really, it was fairly easy stuff to refute...it would have taken a massive film crew to pull it off, and how would you keep all those people quiet for 40 years?
Let me guess - he probably also believes the Pentagon was hit by a cruise missile and not an airplane on 9/11, right? And that the Twin Towers were brought down by internal explosives that were planted by Jews at Bush's behest?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #20
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I'm sure he does...we just never got that far...