Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458
Default Re: Dallas fan here-I know it's early, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay View Post
I was just wondering who would The Cowboys like to see take over in Dallas.
BC is the man, proven record.....sh*t, his record goes before him. Just that would really blow and suck to see Cowher coaching someone else (but at least that'd mean it wouldn't be The Browns....*chokes*)
Regardless of the outcome at season's end, Wade will likely be gone(i.e. We win the Super Bowl, he'll retire in the sunset. We come up short, he'll likely be fired).

Jason Garrett is all but a lock to replace him. He didn't get that extension AND a raise for nothing after last year. I don't have a problem with it at all-I prefer a young coach who has alot of longetivity to maintain continuity.

As for others, I wouldn't mind getting Steve Spagnuola(the Giants' defensive wizard) either.

As for Cowher-I've always really admired and respected the guy, but he WILL be 52. Pt being that this isn't the Cowher of 1992 that was in his 30's, had tons of energy, and had the whole horizon ahead of him to stay with one team and maintain continuity. I just can't imagine him doing the same wherever he goes next year-after 4 years, I can see him getting burned out and jumping ship...alot like Parcells when he reached his 50's and was coaching other teams.

Like I said above, I really like Cowher, but as we've seen with older coaches like Parcells and Vermiel, the longevity just isn't there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Hey TNewman - good to see ya!

No matter how you slice it, the Steelers/Cowboys game is going to be a good one. These two franchises still dislike each other from their rivalry in the 70's. We have a slight advantage in that we are playing at HF, but I never take the Cowboys for granted.

I'm going to send Jessica Simpson a personal invite!
Honestly-didn't become a football fan until '85, so didn't grow up during those Cowboys/Steelers rivalries in the 70's, so never really hated the Steelers. So ended up liking Terry Bradshaw alot, for some reason(my mom, who HATES football, thinks he's cute).

The only team I REALLY hate with a passion is the Eagles b/c of 1) Bounty Bowl in '89, 2) the batteries in the snowballs incident on Jimmy Johnson later that year, 3) the Mike Irvin incident at The Vet in '99, and 4) of course, their hateful, albeit delusional fans-whenever this team comes up short at season's end, at least our fan base can have some satisfaction.

I'll admit-I got a good laugh out of Jessica Simpon when our season last year ended on a thud.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewman41 View Post
Regardless of the outcome at season's end, Wade will likely be gone(i.e. We win the Super Bowl, he'll retire in the sunset. We come up short, he'll likely be fired).
Harsh....but expected

Quote:
Jason Garrett is all but a lock to replace him. He didn't get that extension AND a raise for nothing after last year. I don't have a problem with it at all-I prefer a young coach who has alot of longetivity to maintain continuity.

As for others, I wouldn't mind getting Steve Spagnuola(the Giants' defensive wizard) either.
Sean Payton?

Quote:
As for Cowher-I've always really admired and respected the guy, but he WILL be 52. Pt being that this isn't the Cowher of 1992 that was in his 30's, had tons of energy, and had the whole horizon ahead of him to stay with one team and maintain continuity. I just can't imagine him doing the same wherever he goes next year-after 4 years, I can see him getting burned out and jumping ship...alot like Parcells when he reached his 50's and was coaching other teams.

Like I said above, I really like Cowher, but as we've seen with older coaches like Parcells and Vermiel, the longevity just isn't there anymore.
Thank f**k for that!! To be honest, it just wouldn't be right to see BC on 'the otherside' of the field, coaching someone else!

Get a 'young' one, and stick with 'em, regardless of the first few years results. (Which is why, if I was the owner of The Cowboys, I'd poach Sean Payton now ....I like his approach, and I'm sure New Orleans wouldn't mind!! And that may explain why I'm a Civil Engineer and not a Football Coach! )
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #13
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELAMANIA View Post
The new turf at Hines looked great today.......it will be covered with snow by the time the Cowbores arrive ....lol
The new turf is at Heinz Field, not Hines' house.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #14
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Some great points newman. Should be a fun game to watch. We need to pressure Romo.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
STEELAMANIA
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8791

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
The new turf is at Heinz Field, not Hines' house.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #16
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
What makes you so sure Wade will be fired? Overall, good success in Dallas, no playoff wins yes, but a good share of great coaches have had that type of problem.
The contract he signed from '07 is for 3 years.

When Parcells bolted unexpectedly last year, Jerry's window to find a new HC was pretty short b/c he bolted a bit too late. We had no chance to hire a young guy(like you guys with Cowher in '92) with the little time left to learn the ropes in terms of scouting for talent in the draft, FA, etc.(even though Chicago's DC Ron Rivera and Peyton Manning's QB coach Jim Caldwell were interviewed)

Anyhow, it left Jerry no choice but to get a vet coach-that left us Norv Turner and Wade Phillips(although Mike Singletary WOWED Jerry in his interview to the point he [briefly] came onto his short list).

To be frank-at the time, I wasn't thrilled with either one, ESPECIALLY Norv. Even though Norv was our OC in the 90's under Jimmy when we won 2 of those Super Bowls, he's a notoriously horrific HC.(see Chargers now) At least Wade has had decent success.

Anyways, didn't mean to ramble on-pt being that we're not exactly a rebuilding team. A young team, yes-but one with Super Bowl aspirations. If anything, not only the reasons given above, but Wade is more or less a 1-stop gap. If he takes us over the top, he deserves all the accolades in the world. If not, then it didn't work out.

Plus Jason Garrett was hired as OC *before* Wade was hired. So if anything, Jerry was also making long-term plans for Garrett to become HC somewhere down the line.(i.e. I'm not a fan of Jerry b/c at times, he gets impulses to meddle with decisions that coaches should have control over-but I thought he made the right decision here)

As for my opinions on Wade-I kinda feel bad for the guy at times. No-he's not a Parcells/Cowher busting-balls/in your face type of head coach...he's more of a nice, players coach, leave it up to his assistants and team leaders when it comes to accountability et al kind of guy...but he IS a pretty good coach IMHO who had some dumb luck in the playoffs.(i.e. Ralph Wilson forcing him to bench Flutie for Rob Johnson for that Music City Miracle game put a fork in that team for years)

BTW-I just hope we can avoid the post-Parcells curse. When Parcells bolted his previous teams, the Giants, Pats, and Jets unexpectedly AND late, he left them in situations where management for those teams were given short notice to hire vet coaches...you saw how Ray Handley, Pete Carroll, and Al Grogh/Herman Edwards turned out for those teams over the long haul.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #17
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewman41 View Post
1) Obviously, we just finished our wk13 game tonight, and 2) It's Thanksgiving, a rare opportunity to come post over on another team's MB with not much else to do this weekend.:)

Anyhow-first off, congrats to Mike Thomlin for continuining and thriving in the system Bill Cowher layed the groundwork for-he's done an outstanding job in his 2 years in Pitt.(FWIW too, having lived in New Orleans for almost 20 years, my dad and I are also Colts and Giants fans b/c of the Manning connection in The Big Easy, so we like Tony Dungy alot too...which is where we also like his former assistants like Lovie and Thomlin) How old is he? Like 36?(I'm in my 30's too) This is remarkable for a young guy to thrive in a 24/7 high stress job like this.

Second-definitely looking forward to our 12/07 meeting. 2 very good Super Bowl contending teams, albeit former outer-conference rivals going at it in prime time(afternoon).

Like I said-it's still early as you guys still have your wk13 game to prepare, so will be back next week with my analysis. I WILL say that the big monkey on our backs is our Dec doldroms since the Parcells-era started in '03.
*Tee Oh EM EL IE EN
Tomlin

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
cowboykilla
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9604

Uh,why are dollars floating around your head? Welcome to Steelers Fever i guess. On the other hand being a ''true'' cowboys hater i wish your team nothing but bad luck and some of this and a little of . Go STEELERS
cowboykilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #19
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Up next, Romo gets destroyed.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #20
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

I'm going to send Jessica Simpson a personal invite!
EL 0H EL