Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room > Well Wishes

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #21
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Prayers needed

Prayers from Hollidaysburg. Sounds like your daughter is a tough cookie as HTG said.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #22
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,891 Times in 1,630 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Hang in there thoughts and prayers
Old 01-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #23
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 7120

Still praying...please keep us posted and may God bless you and keep you in His loving care.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
Mamaduck43
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 592

UPDATE:
Karen's week had some ups and downs... For the most part, I think that we were expecting more severe side effects, and we are thankful that the discomfort and ill feelings aren't debilitating so far... The nausea has been under control - - they added steroids to her treatments to keep the brain swelling down somewhat - - we determined that a lot of the headaches caused by the swelling were making the nausea worse... She says that she gets a closing up feeling in her throat a lot of the time, but she hasn't gone into the full-blown nausea of the first week....

They did a repositioning on Friday so that they can attack "Basil and the Blips" from a different angle... We decided that Basil got po'd at this and Karen has had random severe and fleeting back and leg pains as a result....

My older daughter will be in from Green Bay this week - - and she is happy to be here for the playoff game on Sunday - - we have a party set up for our local group of avid Steelers fans - - can't wait for that.... I have to give my granddaughter her birthday present a couple of weeks early - - a brand new Polamalu jersey!!!!! She will love it!!!!

Karen had planned to shave her head on New Year's day, but outside of some scalp uneasiness, she hasn't been bothered by handfuls of hair yet - - they say that hits after 10 treatments - - this week will cross that.... They say that you might as well shave since the hair loss is a very visible and scary result of the treatment.... And I think that if Linda and I go and hold her hand, it might help.....

Keep 'em coming - - I know that all of the prayers and positive thoughts do help.....

Pat
Mamaduck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaduck43 View Post
UPDATE:
Karen's week had some ups and downs... For the most part, I think that we were expecting more severe side effects, and we are thankful that the discomfort and ill feelings aren't debilitating so far... The nausea has been under control - - they added steroids to her treatments to keep the brain swelling down somewhat - - we determined that a lot of the headaches caused by the swelling were making the nausea worse... She says that she gets a closing up feeling in her throat a lot of the time, but she hasn't gone into the full-blown nausea of the first week....

They did a repositioning on Friday so that they can attack "Basil and the Blips" from a different angle... We decided that Basil got po'd at this and Karen has had random severe and fleeting back and leg pains as a result....

My older daughter will be in from Green Bay this week - - and she is happy to be here for the playoff game on Sunday - - we have a party set up for our local group of avid Steelers fans - - can't wait for that.... I have to give my granddaughter her birthday present a couple of weeks early - - a brand new Polamalu jersey!!!!! She will love it!!!!

Karen had planned to shave her head on New Year's day, but outside of some scalp uneasiness, she hasn't been bothered by handfuls of hair yet - - they say that hits after 10 treatments - - this week will cross that.... They say that you might as well shave since the hair loss is a very visible and scary result of the treatment.... And I think that if Linda and I go and hold her hand, it might help.....

Keep 'em coming - - I know that all of the prayers and positive thoughts do help.....

Pat
Pat - my prayers and my family are with you on this journey. It will be in God's hands and all will be for the glory of God. Hang tight with your faith - okay?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #26
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Prayers sent.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #27
Mamaduck43
Bench Warmer
Supporter

UPDATE: 1/7

Well tonight is the shaving party - - - today was a horrendous day - - she was in bad pain from some 'plumbing' problems and on top of that, after her shower this morning, she had noticeable hair loss - - not to the handful stage but enough that she decided not to wait until tomorrow when her sister flies in from Green Bay...... Her buddies from work are coming over - - armed with clippers and cameras and the deed will be done.... At least one of her co-workers will join her wonderful baldness..... I am tempted - - I have a super high forehead, and it would be neat to not have to worry about bangs for a while..... We shall see....

I do think that this is the lowest day she has had so far.... I was headed over to her house and she told me that she was going to curl up and nap - - so I stayed home and curled up and cried a lot..... This is most definitely the hardest thing I have ever encountered... The one saving grace is that if she is feeling so crummy, the tumor, "Basil" has got to be suffering, too.......

Keep 'em coming.....
Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #28
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

She will continue to be in our prayers

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #29
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaduck43 View Post
UPDATE: 1/7

Well tonight is the shaving party - - - today was a horrendous day - - she was in bad pain from some 'plumbing' problems and on top of that, after her shower this morning, she had noticeable hair loss - - not to the handful stage but enough that she decided not to wait until tomorrow when her sister flies in from Green Bay...... Her buddies from work are coming over - - armed with clippers and cameras and the deed will be done.... At least one of her co-workers will join her wonderful baldness..... I am tempted - - I have a super high forehead, and it would be neat to not have to worry about bangs for a while..... We shall see....

I do think that this is the lowest day she has had so far.... I was headed over to her house and she told me that she was going to curl up and nap - - so I stayed home and curled up and cried a lot..... This is most definitely the hardest thing I have ever encountered... The one saving grace is that if she is feeling so crummy, the tumor, "Basil" has got to be suffering, too.......

Keep 'em coming.....
Still praying - we are here on SF and care and love so very much.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #30
Mamaduck43
Bench Warmer
Supporter

I am so proud of my baby girl - - - she had the gang over for a shaving party last night and she drew so much strength from her wonderful circle of friends... Everybody joined in in some way - - with token locks by some folks to a full blown mohawk by one of her co-workers... Karen ended up with a mohawk for a day, but today we went to a salon and while I got my hair cut, she went all the way down to a 1.5 comb length..... She looks absolutely beautiful - - she never met a camera that didn't like her.....

Yesterday's 'down' feeling came from the reality that her hair was falling out and that this is really happening.... Her friends helped her over that hump and her sister's arrival in about an hour will be a big help, as well..... We are very excited......

She actually has an appetite, and that is amazing the doctors.... She has not had any bad taste sensations, so that is a good thing..... Tomorrow, we will go to L&L Hawaiian Barbecue and get some 'local' style food.... 20+ years of Hawaii is hard to get out of your system......

Keep 'em coming, my friends - - I just want you to know that this prayer thing works both ways, too - - I thank God every day for the wonderful folks in Cyberspace who take the time to share their love and caring with virtual strangers... You guys are great....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg karenhaircut.JPG (17.4 KB, 6 views)