Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default (Pats) Ready to play through pain (and on the lookout for Ward)

Ready to play through pain
Seymour, Warren set to go despite injuries
http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal..._through_pain/

By Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff | November 29, 2008

FOXBOROUGH - Richard Seymour is listed as questionable for tomorrow's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers with a knee injury, but there didn't seem to be any question in the defensive end's mind that he is playing.

Seymour practiced yesterday for the first time all week, having limited participation. Prior to practicing, he was asked if he'd be ready to go on Sunday.

"Absolutely," said Seymour. "Hopefully, that's the game plan. This time of year everybody is banged up and not feeling 100 percent, but you try to go out and give it your best shot."

Being banged up along the defensive line is not the ideal way to go into a game against a team as physical at the line of scrimmage as Pittsburgh, but that's where the Patriots find themselves, as both of their starting defensive ends are fighting injuries. Left defensive end Ty Warren remains hampered by a groin injury that forced him to miss the Jets game Nov. 13.

"Even with my ailments I'm going to go out there and do what I got to do," said Warren, also listed as questionable. "And I'm going to take pride in doing what I got to do. My goal always is to neutralize whatever they do coming to my side when I'm in there, and the same for Richard. So, I know he's going to take pride, despite whatever ailment he has, in going out there and performing the best way he can. That's really all you can control. You just try to win more battles than you lose."

Sitting out isn't really an option for Seymour or Warren at this point in the season.

"Absolutely, it's a big game for us, an AFC game. It holds a lot of weight," said Warren.

Seymour and Warren were among five players listed as questionable for tomorrow's game. They were joined by linebacker Tedy Bruschi (knee), cornerback Ellis Hobbs (shoulder), and running back LaMont Jordan (right calf), who has not played since Oct. 5 but was able to practice all three days this week.

Wide receiver Kelley Washington and linebacker Adalius Thomas were the only Patriots who didn't practice yesterday. Thomas, still recovering from a broken right forearm, was listed as out. Washington (thigh) didn't practice all week and is doubtful.

Keisel, Smith out

The Steelers will be without two starters: defensive end Brett Keisel (sprained medial collateral ligament in his knee), and left tackle Marvel Smith (back).

The status of running back Willie Parker (inflammation in left knee) remains up in the air. Parker had full participation in practice for the second straight day, but is listed as questionable, along with cornerbacks Bryant McFadden (broken forearm) and Deshea Townsend (hamstring).

If Parker can't go, Pittsburgh will turn to running back Mewelde Moore, who lacks Parker's home run-hitting speed.

"But both of them do a good job," said Seymour. "[Moore] is more like Kevin Faulk; he's real shifty and will catch some balls out of the backfield and does a good job for them."

Words have no impact

While Steelers safety Anthony Smith was at it again, repeating his infamous victory guarantee from a year ago, Patriots coach Bill Belichick said such utterances rarely work as motivation.

"In the end, the game is won and lost out on the field by the players," Belichick said. "You can go in there and hit your helmet against a locker before you go out on the field, hold hands and chant, kick chairs and break blackboards and all that, but as soon as the ball's snapped, either you do your job better than they do theirs, or vice versa.

"That stuff really is for a couple plays. It may even be for one play. It's really about execution. I don't think it helps you block. I don't think it helps you tackle. I don't think it helps you do the things you need to do from a football standpoint."

Nose tackle Vince Wilfork said the Patriots weren't taking Smith's comments to heart.

"I don't think anything of it," Wilfork said earlier in the week. "Some people express themselves in different ways. To me, that's just saying how confident he feels. He's probably speaking for the team, [and] how confident they feel. Every time you play a ballgame, you want to come in and win. Nobody looks forward to losing. Like I said, some people do it differently. We'll see on Sunday."

On lookout for Ward

The Patriots' secondary, already decimated by injuries, is preparing for some bruising encounters with Pittsburgh receiver Hines Ward, a proficient and punishing downfield blocker. He broke the jaw of Cincinnati rookie linebacker Keith Rivers on a devastating blow earlier this season. "Hines Ward makes you play football," said Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather. "He's not one of those guys you can go to sleep on any time. First of all, he's a great receiver. He's probably one of the best receivers in the game right now. He blocks and he runs great routes. So, Hines Ward just makes you play football 100 percent of the time. There's no play you can take off, because even on running plays he makes you play football against him. I have a lot of respect for him."

. . . Walpole star running back Ryan Izzo, the Division 2 scoring leader with 34 touchdowns, is not related to Patriots special teams captain Larry Izzo. "No, we are not relatives, but we might be if you go back all the way to the old country," Larry said. "I've followed him a little bit and from what I've read, he's a heck of a football player, and I wish him well." Ryan has led his team to a Division 2 playoff game against Reading.

Michael Vega of the Globe staff contributed to this report.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
GutterflowerSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1261
Default Re: (Pats) Ready to play through pain (and on the lookout for Ward)

Good read.

This time their D is more banged up than ours - and we've got a healthy Troy, Aaron and Ryan ready to take the field. I heard an interview with Ryan Clark on Sirius yesterday - he's READY for tomorrow's battle

~Sig created by SteelDuck~
GutterflowerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
STEELAMANIA
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8791

NE's sideline is gonna need a good supply of body bags.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,697 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote:
Hines Ward just makes you play football 100 percent of the time. There's no play you can take off, because even on running plays he makes you play football against him. I have a lot of respect for him."
In other words. Keep your head on a swivel.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
ben7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9960

Pats OL looks like a tasty treat
Old 11-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
"Absolutely," said Seymour. "Hopefully, that's the game plan. This time of year everybody is banged up and not feeling 100 percent, but you try to go out and give it your best cheapshot."
He forgot to add that part.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I hope our OL is up for the task in trying to beat the Cheaters DL. They need to play very physical. I really hope Ward gets to block a few Cheater defenders.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELAMANIA View Post
NE's sideline is gonna need a good supply of body bags.
SteelersMongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Seymour practiced yesterday for the first time all week, having limited participation. Prior to practicing, he was asked if he'd be ready to go on Sunday.

"Absolutely," said Seymour. "Hopefully, that's the game plan. This time of year everybody is banged up and not feeling 100 percent, but you try to go out and give it your best shot."

"Even with my ailments I'm going to go out there and do what I got to do," said Warren, also listed as questionable. "And I'm going to take pride in doing what I got to do. My goal always is to neutralize whatever they do coming to my side when I'm in there, and the same for Richard. So, I know he's going to take pride, despite whatever ailment he has, in going out there and performing the best way he can.
Sounds like their getting their excuses ready.

Quote:
While Steelers safety Anthony Smith was at it again, repeating his infamous victory guarantee from a year ago, Patriots coach Bill Belichick said such utterances rarely work as motivation.
Code words for : "Holy shit, Polamalu and Clark are playing this year."
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,162 Times in 1,343 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Good read I hope we play our A game today and keep New England on its heals I would love to see Hines with one of his good hits today as well.