Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers have sights set on stopping Moss

Steelers have sights set on stopping Moss
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:09 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — Dick LeBeau likens Randy Moss to a prolific scorer in basketball.

“You know he’s going to get some points,” said LeBeau, the Steelers’ defensive coordinator. “But you just have to keep him from getting enough to beat you. If he gets 17 or so points and your team wins the game, then you did OK.”

So, when the Steelers play New England on Sunday, they expect Moss to get his fair share of catches. But it will be paramount for the Steelers’ secondary to keep Moss from doing what he did last week.

In a 48-28 rout of the Dolphins, Moss caught eight passes for 123 yards and three touchdowns, all season high.

“I’m always amazed at what Randy can do,” Pats quarterback Matt Cassel said. “He’s a special player and those guys don’t come around very often. I’m lucky to be on the same team as him.”

Now in his 11th season, Moss hasn’t been putting up the numbers he did a year ago when he caught 98 passes for 1,493 yards and NFL record 23 TD passes. He and Steelers wideout Hines Ward are among four players tied for 19th in the league with 54 catches. But Moss is tied for second with eight TD grabs.

For his career, which included previous stints with the Vikings and Raiders, Moss now has 132 TD catches. He’s third on the al-time list behind future Hall of Famer Jerry Rice (197) and Terrell Owens (136) of the Dallas Cowboys.

“Moss is always been one of the top guys in the league,” Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden said. “He can change a game at any point. He always has respect from ant defensive backfields he may face.”

Strangely enough, the Dolphins didn’t respect Moss enough last week. In so many instances, the Dolphins decided to guard Moss with one cornerback. Maybe the Dolphins were just as concerned with the Patriots’ other wide receiver, Wes Welker.

Yes, Welker ranks second in the league with 80 catches. He’s a terrific weapon who has a knack for turning short catches into long gains. But at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds, Welker isn’t in the same league as Moss.

With his size (6-foot-4 and 210 pounds), his speed and his athleticism, Moss will win most one-on-one match-ups with any defensive back he faces.

“If Randy Moss gets single coverage, if he gets matched up one-on-one downfield with defenders, then there are big problems,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “It’s been that way for the 11 years he’s been in the league. Nothing has changed.

“Moss has done a nice job over the years of making quarterbacks look good. All you have to do is throw the ball in his general area. That’s not devaluing what Cassel does. It’s just the facts. If you have Randy Moss one-on-one with somebody, just throw the ball in his general area. It doesn’t require a great deal of accuracy or touch. He’ll come down with the football.”

In other words, expect Moss to get a lot of double coverage Sunday from the Steelers.

X’s and O’s

Steelers RB Willie Parker practiced for the second straight day Friday but is only listed as questionable on Tomlin’s injury report. Questionable in the NFL means a player has a 50/50 chance of playing. Parker aggravated a previously injury knee in the Nov. 20 game against the Cincinnati Bengals. … CB Bryant McFadden (arm) and CB Deshea Townsend (hamstring) are also listed as questionable. Townsend said he will definitely play. McFadden may be a game-time decision.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...2192213566.txt
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Re: Steelers have sights set on stopping Moss

With Ike being shut down all season long and the Steelers CB playing prevent D i don't see Moss getting anymore than 3 catches and for short yardage.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Makaveli
Banned

Member Number: 5998

Pressure, pressure, pressure,........
Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I just don't see Moss having a big game against our defense. Ike will be just fine shadowing him all game and will probably get help from Clark over the top. And I definitely don't see Moss or any other WR getting any big yardage catches against us. If we get back McFadden and Townsend that would really help as well.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

Welker and Faulk are the true weapons to worry about IMO

But our O better be freaking ready to control some damm clock. Thats the best Defense really.......and put it in the endzone when we get down there

Also Known as SteelerSpartan

Last edited by Steel_Bus_24; 11-30-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

i didnt expect reggie wayne (or moss last year) to have big games against the steelers.

but accidents hapen.

if the gameplan is to rush 3 and drop 8, i think cassell will do as well as brady traditionally has.

= dink and dunk and find the man in the hole.

if were rushing 5-6 and/or dropping 5-6, i think our odds greatly go up.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,749 Times in 1,581 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Hopefully we can keep Moss in check and not let him get behind our deffense if we can do this then we have a good shot at winning this game.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Moss will do little against the Steelers.

It's the dink and dunk bullcrap that should be contained. The Patriots have nickel and dimed the Steelers Defense for years and had success.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

My only question is why can't the Steelers use the exact same game plan against the Cheaters defense and dink and dunk them all day? We could be just as effective with the dink and dunk game.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
My only question is why can't the Steelers use the exact same game plan against the Cheaters defense and dink and dunk them all day? We could be just as effective with the dink and dunk game.
Because Arians is a fool.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote