Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default 2008 Defense- Steelers best, ever?

So I was bored, and didn't really want to do anymore writing on my paper. Plus I am still too excited by the game. So I decided to do a little comparison to the 76 Steeler team. Here is what I found.

(Methodology. T-test, 1 tail, allowing for unbalanced numbers. In other words, the test takes into account the fact that the Steelers have not played 14 games yet (which was the number of games in the 76 season).

1. Rushing. The 08 defense is allowing an average of 71 yards. 76 D, 104 yards. The difference in yardage is 99.3% statistically significant, which means the threshold of statistical significance is met (95%). It can be said with confidence that the 2008 team is better at stopping the run than the 76 team was.

2. Passing. The 08 team is allowing an average of 169 yards passing. The 76 team allowed 237 yards passing. The difference in yardage is 98.3 percent statistically (Meeting the threshold for statistical significance). Thus, it can be said again with confidence that the 2008 team is better at stopping the pass than the 76 team.

3. 1st downs. 08 team. average just under 16. 76 team, just under 14, Does the 2008 team have a statistically significant higher number of first downs allowed? Almost. 94% significance, which means that it the differnce in 1st downs may or may not be significant between the two teams.

So.. Does that tell the whole story? Nope. The 76 team (I can visualize this, don't even have to run the numbers) have a statistically significant difference in points allowed. . . 9.9 in 1976 to 14.5 today with 5 shutouts and 2 or 3 more games without a TD. The Steelers of this year have no shutouts and what looks like 2 games without a TD. However, that is only a 4.6 point differentiation between the two teams.

What's more, The Steelers of 2008 are averaging about half the turnovers of the 76 team, which may be the reason for the low score.
Here is the kicker. In 1976, each team scored an average of 19.2 points a game. This year, the average team is scoring 22.6 points a game.

So is the 2008 defense the best defense ever for a Steelers team?

Yes to Rushing
Yes to Passing
Just a little under on 1st downs
No on turnovers
On points. . . that is where it gets sticky. Yes the Steelers of 76 shut down teams in the stretch. However, over the long hall, when you look at the average point differential, the 76 team only has 1.2 points per game difference (when adding in the difference in average team scoring). Factor in the strength of schedule for this year, and the actual scoring difference is negated IMO.

Thus, in my conclusion, the 2008 defense is a little more dominant than the 76 defense on average, but not quite as able to take over a game as the 76 defense did down the stretch.

Let the arguments begin!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: 2008 Defense- Steelers best, ever?

Much to early to say this yet.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

From year to year, we've had a few defenses that compared to the dominance of the '70s teams. But let them keep it up for 6 or 7 years straight and then we'll see.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Much to early to say this yet.
Statistically, its not as we are only 2 games away from meeting the number of regular scheduled games in 76. Granted, we have some of our toughest teams ahead. However, we also have Tennessee, Ravens, and Browns, who are lower scoring, drag out games. That should actually work in the favor of the 2008 defense.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
From year to year, we've had a few defenses that compared to the dominance of the '70s teams. But let them keep it up for 6 or 7 years straight and then we'll see.
Absolutely. That is why I have only compared one year, and didn't discuss the "Dynasty Defense"
Old 11-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Well, they're definately the best Steelers Defense in recent memory. Even better than 1994 Blitzburgh Team. The 1994 Steelers allowed 300+ yards of offense six times throughout the year.

The 2008 Steelers have yet to have an opposing offense to put up 300+ total yards of offense in twelve consecutive games this year.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Even though we had the socalled toughest schedule in the league this year, we will still not be respected for being 9-3. The naysayers will just say that the teams we played were not really the toughest ones because they are all having down years. We just can't get any respect in that matter. Everyone has GOT TO SEE however that we have a pretty monster D going here.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,758 Times in 3,679 Posts

polamalu, harrison, and a. smith are the best at their position.

hampton, taylor, clark, woodley, farrior are easilly top 5.

that leaves-

mcfadden/townsend (both injured)
keisel (injured)
foote (definite top 10 interior 3-4 LB)

....who arent "pulling their weight".

this is one of the best steelers defenses in a long time. (hard to knock the 95 team if they had a healthy woodson, but even they werent quite as deep).

i still think the 08 team needs to go on a statistical run AND win a championship to be considered the best ever,

its exciting enough just to think its possible though...
Old 11-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
fordfan485
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7210

Another interesting point is the difference in rules with regards to passing under the '76 rules. With today's rules its much easier to pass and the fact that were are better in that stat i think speaks volumes.
fordfan485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Is the 2008 Steelers D, their best defense ever?

If we win the Super Bowl, yes, I think the 2008 defense is better hands-down, no questions asked.

However, if that doesn't happen, then I still think the 2008 D is one of the best ever, if not second-best behind the '76 D.

For fortitude, depth, and people stepping up when their number is called, the 2008 D tops the bunch. That has been the story of this season, and even if we don't win a playoff game, I'll remember this season.

But in answer to your question. Is it the best yet? No. Can it be? Absolutely. It's very close.