Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default O-line rains on Pats, lack of credit

O-line rains on Pats, lack of credit
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Given the chance to brag about his much-maligned ground game that churned out 161 yards in Sunday's 23-point win at New England, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin elected not to take the high road.

"We still can't run it," Tomlin said sarcastically in response to a reporter's question. "That's what you guys will write anyway."

From their coach on down the line, the Steelers are taking it all personally.

You couldn't blame them after the offensive line manhandled the Patriots' front seven, after a revitalized Willie Parker averaged 5.4 yards on 16 carries, after quarterback Ben Roethlisberger received sufficient time to pick out his receivers while being sacked only once.

If the starters on the offensive line played as though they believed they had something to prove against New England, they certainly had their reasons.

"We understand what we have," right tackle Willie Colon said. "Despite what everybody wants to say about us and what they think, the only thing that counts is what we think in that locker room."

What the offensive linemen think is that they have played better than what they've been given credit. In fact, some of them are agitated that it took so long for their solid play to be recognized.

"We spread things out and got them into their sub defense and ran the ball"' center Justin Hartwig said following the Steelers' best rushing output since helping rack up 183 yards against Houston in the opener. "We stuck with it and had some huge gains."

Frankly, the players are tired of hearing about how bad they are. Beating up on the Patriots put the spotlight on the offensive line in a favorable light, for a change.

"This was a big game for the offensive linemen," left guard Chris Kemoeatu said. "It was the kind of game to put a statement out there that we are capable of running and passing the ball."

For Hartwig, the line's ability to control the ball and the clock against New England could result in winning over offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to call more rushing plays.

"We have leaned a little bit more on the pass. We have to be able to run it when we get those opportunities," said Hartwig, one of four new starters along with Kemoeatu, left tackle Max Starks and right guard Darnell Stapleton. "We want to instill confidence in our coordinator to dial up those running plays."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_600995.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560
Default Re: O-line rains on Pats, lack of credit

"We want to instill confidence in our coordinator to dial up those running plays"

Good luck with that. This offensive coordinator is a "PASS HAPPY S.O.B."
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Well, well, well. what have we here?

The nobody believes is us but us attitude with the playoffs looming ahead.

Sweeeeeeeet!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

People need to keep chewing their butts off, because we still lack power in goalline situations

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

when the O-line starts showing some positive consistency, let me know.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Just so long as they don't all get the swolled heads and think they're invincible now and go back to the 7-step drop, double move, pump fake offense that will get us killed.

I'm thinking of you, Ben.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
What the offensive linemen think is that they have played better than what they've been given credit. In fact, some of them are agitated that it took so long for their solid play to be recognized.
Exactly!! The media and fans have just been dumping on them because teams were blitzing a ton and getting sacks. It's like those that think Ike Taylor isnt playing well because of his lack of INT's.

Nobody is giving Colon recognition for a really great game against the Patriots. Also, they believe that Stapleton is playing really well, but if you really watch him on film, you see that he is the weakest link on the O-line.

Perception is reality, but its not always the truth.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
"We want to instill confidence in our coordinator to dial up those running plays"

Good luck with that. This offensive coordinator is a "PASS HAPPY S.O.B."
Please don't a little thing like facts and figures stand in the way of your completely biased, not to mention flat out wrong, opinion.

In 2008 we have run:
346 rushing plays
367 passing plays

I think I'd call that balance...
Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Member Number: 10612

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Please don't a little thing like facts and figures stand in the way of your completely biased, not to mention flat out wrong, opinion.

In 2008 we have run:
346 rushing plays
367 passing plays

I think I'd call that balance...
Check how many of those rush plays were called in the 4th quarter and near the end of the game when we had already basically won and were just running the clock out.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Member Number: 10612

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Exactly!! The media and fans have just been dumping on them because teams were blitzing a ton and getting sacks. It's like those that think Ike Taylor isnt playing well because of his lack of INT's.

Nobody is giving Colon recognition for a really great game against the Patriots. Also, they believe that Stapleton is playing really well, but if you really watch him on film, you see that he is the weakest link on the O-line.

Perception is reality, but its not always the truth.
Colon made a worthless penalty that negated the Washington TD in the Giants game but now he wants recognition for a great game against the Patriots?

I'll tell you what Willie, there are 4 games left, if you don't #$%^ up any of those games with miserable penalties and we win 3 out of 4 of them without Roethlisberger getting killed and with a decent rushing game, I'll give you your credit.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote