Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #11
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Member Number: 10612
Default Re: O-line rains on Pats, lack of credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
People need to keep chewing their butts off, because we still lack power in goalline situations
No longer just a problem, it is now a full blown weakness of the team.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,122 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SteelersFan View Post
Colon made a worthless penalty that negated the Washington TD in the Giants game but now he wants recognition for a great game against the Patriots?

I'll tell you what Willie, there are 4 games left, if you don't #$%^ up any of those games with miserable penalties and we win 3 out of 4 of them without Roethlisberger getting killed and with a decent rushing game, I'll give you your credit.
Most penalties are worthless, but what you are saying is making my point. I rewatch each Steeler game the day after and Colon is a dominating run blocker, that last game handled the rushers OK, but receives no recognition. He routinely false starts in passing situations because the speed rushers beat him because of his short arms. He is jumping offside or holding because he is probably a guard that is playing RT.

BTW, I dont think Colon is looking for any recognition. I think the entire line, Ben and offensive coaches think the O-line has taken undue criticizm. They are by no means a great line, but not as bad as everybody writes or posts.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Most penalties are worthless, but what you are saying is making my point. I rewatch each Steeler game the day after and Colon is a dominating run blocker, that last game handled the rushers OK, but receives no recognition. He routinely false starts in passing situations because the speed rushers beat him because of his short arms. He is jumping offside or holding because he is probably a guard that is playing RT.
He really is

Which leads me to believe he could be a decent guard

If kemo leaves ( either simmons or stapleton will stay at RG) Colon could be used at LG imo

They have to get better tackles in the draft though....
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
No longer just a problem, it is now a full blown weakness of the team.
This weakness of not having a short yardage offense is what I feared. Here is an article on the 2004 Browns season preview that mentions the '03 Browns offense (under Arians) had similar problems.

new offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie has no intention of adopting the West Coast Offense or any other pass-happy scheme. Robiskie and Davis want to run the ball down the throats of opponents, and they may finally have the players in place to win on the ground. The tandem of Lee Suggs and William Green have looked impressive and the offensive line has shown the ability to open holes on the left, middle, or right. The Browns will have a legitimate fullback for the first time in the expansion era, as Terrelle Smith will look to help the team convert the short-yardage and goal-line situations that were the bane of the team's existence in 2003.

http://det.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=292767
Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
He really is

Which leads me to believe he could be a decent guard

If kemo leaves ( either simmons or stapleton will stay at RG) Colon could be used at LG imo

They have to get better tackles in the draft though....
I believe that Colon would be a much better guard. I think that it gives flexibility that if Alex Mack is still on the board, the Steelers can pick him and look to use an interior line of Hartwig, Mack, Colon (with rehabilitating Simmons and Stapleton as backup).

Then I expect them to re-sign Starks(I dont personally like the move) and sign a 2nd level FA like Stinchcomb or St. Clair as a vet tackle and go with Hills and a rookie OT in reserve.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #16
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,077 Times in 568 Posts

Little by little they are improving. Pats front four are pretty darn good and Ben hardly got touched in the game. Now they need to try and fix this one yard issue they have had. Hopefully by playoff time, they will have meshed completely and make a 3 game season run with a title.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Check how many of those rush plays were called in the 4th quarter and near the end of the game when we had already basically won and were just running the clock out.
And that would be different from every other Steelers offense in every other year how exactly?

You haters hate, and nothing will dissuade you of that hate. Not results. Not wins. Not facts. Not even Super Bowl victories.

But it really doesn't matter because nattering nabobs of negativism have absolutely no impact on the reality,and that reality is that the Steelers are 9-3, they could easily be 11-1, and they seem to be getting better when it counts the most.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
This weakness of not having a short yardage offense is what I feared. Here is an article on the 2004 Browns season preview that mentions the '03 Browns offense (under Arians) had similar problems.

new offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie has no intention of adopting the West Coast Offense or any other pass-happy scheme. Robiskie and Davis want to run the ball down the throats of opponents, and they may finally have the players in place to win on the ground. The tandem of Lee Suggs and William Green have looked impressive and the offensive line has shown the ability to open holes on the left, middle, or right. The Browns will have a legitimate fullback for the first time in the expansion era, as Terrelle Smith will look to help the team convert the short-yardage and goal-line situations that were the bane of the team's existence in 2003.

http://det.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=292767
lol..Lee Suggs and Willie Green, I remember when both those guys were supposed to be really good that year and the problem going into the season was splitting time between 2 really good backs. They did absolutely nothing. You go to love football analysts.

The short-yardage rush offense is a major weakness, the root of the weakness may not be major but the weakness itself certainly is. It seems opposing defense's are now counting on stopping us on 3rd or 4th and 2 or less and when we are on the goal line whereas before, opposing teams defense's were terrified to get into those situations with the Steelers.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #19
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

You haters hate, and nothing will dissuade you of that hate. Not results. Not wins. Not facts. Not even Super Bowl victories.
Hey Rev, I dont consider myself a hater (a Carey Davis hater maybe ), but would you admitt the fact that Arians offenses in Cleveland struggling on short yardage and now struggling in Pittsburgh are a trend or coincidence??

I'm just asking the question, because it seems like a trend to me. Faith, optimism and loyalty are all admirable qualities, but I am just wondering if you are supporting the current offensive system without question or do wonder if the short yardage woes are based on system or players??
Old 12-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
And that would be different from every other Steelers offense in every other year how exactly?

But it really doesn't matter because nattering nabobs of negativism have absolutely no impact on the reality,and that reality is that the Steelers are 9-3, they could easily be 11-1, and they seem to be getting better when it counts the most.
The difference??

2007-442 pass plays 511 rush attempts 10-6
2006-523 pass plays 469 rush attempts (no Bus and no Burress) 8-8
2005-379 pass plays 549 rush attempts (the Bus splits time with Parker and no more Burress) 11-5
2004-358 pass plays 618 rush attempts (the Bus gets a tuneup and less Burress) 15-1
2003-532 pass plays 446 rush attempts (the Bus got a new alternator but was still in bad shape but we still had burress) 6-10
2002-551 pass plays 512 rush attempts (the Bus' transmission dropped and we really used Burress) 10-5-1
2001-454 pass plays 580 rush attempts (the Bus started to break down but we had Burress) 13-3
2000-439 pass plays 527 rush attempts 9-7
1999-535 pass plays 495 rush attempts 6-10

In the years we pass more. 30-33-1
In the years we rush more. 58-22

We pass the ball 3 and out on a lot of drives. On other drives we rush 2 times and pass on 3rd. We pass on 3rd and 2 or less on many occasions. The bulk of the rush plays come at the end of the game when we're winning when it used to be just a chunk of rush plays coming at the end of the game.

Really? Arians won us the Superbowl? I didn't even know he was the offensive coordinator at the time? I thought he was a wide-out coach.

Last edited by NYC SteelersFan; 12-02-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added 2 more years