Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #21
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560
Default Re: O-line rains on Pats, lack of credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Hey Rev, I dont consider myself a hater (a Carey Davis hater maybe ), but would you admitt the fact that Arians offenses in Cleveland struggling on short yardage and now struggling in Pittsburgh are a trend or coincidence??

I'm just asking the question, because it seems like a trend to me. Faith, optimism and loyalty are all admirable qualities, but I am just wondering if you are supporting the current offensive system without question or do wonder if the short yardage woes are based on system or players??
nice post.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #22
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SteelersFan View Post
The difference??

2007-442 pass plays 511 rush attempts 10-6
2006-523 pass plays 469 rush attempts (no Bus and no Burress) 8-8
2005-379 pass plays 549 rush attempts (the Bus splits time with Parker and no more Burress) 11-5
2004-358 pass plays 618 rush attempts (the Bus gets a tuneup and less Burress) 15-1
2003-532 pass plays 446 rush attempts (the Bus got a new alternator but was still in bad shape but we still had burress) 6-10
2002-551 pass plays 512 rush attempts (the Bus' transmission dropped and we really used Burress) 10-5-1
2001-454 pass plays 580 rush attempts (the Bus started to break down but we had Burress) 13-3
2000-439 pass plays 527 rush attempts 9-7
1999-535 pass plays 495 rush attempts 6-10

In the years we pass more. 30-33-1
In the years we rush more. 58-22

We pass the ball 3 and out on a lot of drives. On other drives we rush 2 times and pass on 3rd. We pass on 3rd and 2 or less on many occasions. The bulk of the rush plays come at the end of the game when we're winning when it used to be just a chunk of rush plays coming at the end of the game.

Really? Arians won us the Superbowl? I didn't even know he was the offensive coordinator at the time? I thought he was a wide-out coach.
Thank you NYC for pointing out the obvious, some people you just can't reach.......

Last edited by Steelers & I; 12-03-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:29 AM   #23
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Member Number: 10612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
Thank you NYC for pointing out the obvious, some people you just can't reach.......

LOL...I wish our bus was even that big. Our rush offense is driving a Chrysler Town and Country right now.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 AM   #24
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

As long as we are picking up W's I don't really care how we get there. Run it 40 times and win then so be it, pass is 40 times and win, just as good. It has everything to do with the talent you have anyway.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 AM   #25
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

I agree, I don't care if the offense is shanking defense's just to core, as long as we score consistently and win in the end, but lack of offensive consistency and identity catches up to you in the playoffs.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:05 AM   #26
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SteelersFan View Post
I agree, I don't care if the offense is shanking defense's just to core, as long as we score consistently and win in the end, but lack of offensive consistency and identity catches up to you in the playoffs.
Agree. The D really helps this year though. In 2000 you know who was just terrible on O but because of a great D they were able to win. I think we can both agree that our O is much better then that O was.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #27
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Hey Rev, I dont consider myself a hater (a Carey Davis hater maybe ), but would you admitt the fact that Arians offenses in Cleveland struggling on short yardage and now struggling in Pittsburgh are a trend or coincidence??

I'm just asking the question, because it seems like a trend to me. Faith, optimism and loyalty are all admirable qualities, but I am just wondering if you are supporting the current offensive system without question or do wonder if the short yardage woes are based on system or players??
Common denominator: Mediocre to poor offensive lines

OC doesn't draft or select FA lineman.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #28
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Common denominator: Mediocre to poor offensive lines

OC doesn't draft or select FA lineman.
GOOD ANSWER......this group can't even hold the point of attack, let alone push defenders backwords to guarantee a yard.i have yet to see arians on the field being pushed backwards by a DT.people bitch about a pass play on third and short, but yet forget about the 25 times the run got stuffed on 3rd and one.....:the coaches have a legitamate reason to not have much confidence in the line at gut check time. they've had numerous oppurtunities to show thier mettle , and have failed more often than not.....coffee:

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #29
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I LOVE the posts about the past Steelers successes as well. I guess we should just line up and sell out the run regardless of whether we have the personell to do so or not just because that's the way it used to work.

Arians has a creative offense. We need to be creative to cover up some flaws/injuries up front. We also lack a dominant power back. If we ran the ball 60% of the time I GUARANTEE you we would not be 9-3, more like 6-6.

But the beauty of this is that you don't need to believe me, and I don't give a flying eff if I'm pidgeonholed as some kind of Arians apologist. The facts are that we have a shitty oline and we are still 9-3, and we could easily be 11-1. Ripping Arians is easy and it's the scapegoat mentality. I once more defer to the FO, the HC and our QB who seem to have nothing but the utmost faith and trust in Arians. That's more than good enough for me...
Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #30
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I LOVE the posts about the past Steelers successes as well. I guess we should just line up and sell out the run regardless of whether we have the personell to do so or not just because that's the way it used to work.

Arians has a creative offense. We need to be creative to cover up some flaws/injuries up front. We also lack a dominant power back. If we ran the ball 60% of the time I GUARANTEE you we would not be 9-3, more like 6-6.

But the beauty of this is that you don't need to believe me, and I don't give a flying eff if I'm pidgeonholed as some kind of Arians apologist. The facts are that we have a shitty oline and we are still 9-3, and we could easily be 11-1. Ripping Arians is easy and it's the scapegoat mentality. I once more defer to the FO, the HC and our QB who seem to have nothing but the utmost faith and trust in Arians. That's more than good enough for me...
You can't be 100% sure whether or not you have the personell to rush the ball until you actually rush the ball. And that doesn't include rushing an injured Parker. Nor does it include rushing inconsistently and sporadically. Did we stop rushing the ball cause the Bus' wheels were worn down? No we discovered Willie Parker.

And if Arians was so creative and he knew how bad this o-line was coming into the season, considering everyone knew it was a weakness coming into the season, he would have filled the playbook with dump pass', shovel pass', hot routes and shotguns with 4 and 5WR sets to counter against the blitz. At the very least, these changes should have been made after the Eagles embarassed us but he didn't.

You can defer to the FO all you like. The FO thought Kordell was a franchise QB. The FO came intot he season without an o-line. The FO has let more free agent pro-bowlers leave than probably any other team in the NFL. And I don't care and still love the Steelers every year regardless of who they put on the field. But offensive coordinators get changed like dirty socks in the NFL and Arians thus far has proven miserable regardless of personell. And I too don't give a flying eff if I'm pidgeonholed by you as some kind of Arians scapegoater, I think he sucks, many others think he sucks and most of the evidence as far as our offense leans towards proving he sucks as well.