Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Post United Football League?

Quote:
United Football League eyeing Vick

Is there football life for Michael Vick after his scheduled release from federal prison next summer? According to Michael Huyghue, commissioner of the United Football League that is set to launch next fall, the answer is yes. "I do think he would be the type of player that would be a great player for this league," Huyghue told the Daily News, echoing remarks he made to Sports Illustrated in August. "I still continue to believe that we might prove to be the best type of buffer for a player like Michael Vick before he returns to the NFL. Obviously there are some things that would have to happen. No one has a crystal ball. Presumably he would still be suspended." Huyghue is fully aware of the possible backlash from entertaining the idea of giving Vick a second chance.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...fl?eref=fromSI
As I was reading this news, this is the first time I've learned about this league. Dug around a little found this on wikipedia.com

Quote:
The United Football League is a professional American Football league being organized by William Hambrecht, a Wall Street investor and former minority partner in the USFL's Oakland Invaders, and Tim Armstrong, a senior executive at Google. Mark Cuban, owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, was the first to publicly profess interest in owning a franchise.

The league, which is still in its infancy, plans to play games on Friday nights, which would put it in direct competition with high school football. The NFL, on the other hand, is prohibited under the federal anti-trust exemption law (15 U.S.C. 1291) from broadcasting any professional game within seventy-five miles of any inter-collegiate or inter-scholastic (high school) game on any Friday (after 6:00 PM) or Saturday, beginning with the 2nd Friday in September, and ending the 2nd Saturday in December (15 U.S.C. 1293). In essence, the UFL would be the only pro game in town.

Cuban has said that he believes the league will fill its rosters with quality players selected late in the NFL Draft, undrafted free agents, or players that are released by NFL teams.

Between six and eight teams will compete in the inaugural season, which was originally scheduled for August 2008. The league initially intended to place these teams in markets (including a few outside the United States) where the NFL had no presence.

Despite a June 2007 report in The New York Times indicating that teams were already being set up in Las Vegas, Mexico City and Los Angeles, no franchises have yet been officially established and Mexico City is now seen as unlikely to land a team in the league's inaugural season.

Expected to announce its first six franchises by the end of March 2008, the UFL instead saw that month pass with no team locations having been finalized. According to fan website "UFLAccess", the league's opening games have now been pushed back a year to August 2009 to allow for more time to attract owner-investors, negotiate a TV broadcast deal and build league branding.

Teams

It is rumored that the UFL will field teams in Hartford, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Orlando and San Francisco. It was later announced that the league is also looking for expansion in Monterrey and Salt Lake City.

Teams ------------ City
-Hartford ---------- East Hartford, CT
-Las Vegas ------ Las Vegas, NV
-Los Angeles ---- Los Angeles area
-Monterrey -------- Monterrey, Mexico
-New York -------- New York, NY
-Orlando ---------- Orlando area
-Salt Lake City --- Salt Lake City area
-San Francisco -- San Francisco Bay area

Other markets originally considered before being narrowed down included Austin, Texas, Birmingham, Alabama, Colombus, Ohio, Louisville, Kentucky, Memphis, Tennessee, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Raleigh, North Carolina, and San Antonio, Texas. London, England and Mexico City, Mexico were also considered for international franchises.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...eague_(planned)
What do you guys think?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Re: United Football League?

And you guys can check out their official site, and if you like you can even help with suggesting some teams' names at http://www.ufl-football.com/.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

In my opinion more football is a great thing. But just like the XFL itll be branded as subpar and dismissed.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,430 Times in 517 Posts

IMO, the UFL will have to wait, because Vick isn't going to play bush league ball for minimum wage when there will be at least one NFL team still stupid enough to take a chance on him.

In fact, I think I can pretty much script the way the next 2-4 years are going to play out for Vick. He'll be released from the federal pen in July of '09, if not a little sooner, and some NFL team (more than likely a bottom-feeding team with a history of making boneheaded personnel moves) will offer him a veteran minimum contract laden with incentives. When it's proven beyond any doubt that Vick spent the last couple years of his athletic peak wasting away inside a cellblock of a federal pen and no longer has the speed and elusiveness to cut it at the NFL level (let's face it, it wasn't his passing skills that kept him in a NFL uniform all those years in Atlanta), he'll be unceremoniously cut loose. He'll then more than likely take the Lawrence Phillips route to the CFL for a couple years before finally and completely fading away into obscurity, unless, of course, he gets in legal trouble again.

Last edited by fansince'76; 12-02-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8498

It is surprizing that there is really no true minor league football, there is minor league baseball, hockey & basketball.. but no football... I'm not sure if that is what the UFL is going for directly.. but, with no NFL Europe, I would think this would be a great opportunity for a lot of guys and would be fun for those in markets without an NFL team...

edit.. I guess I never realized there is minor league football...
http://www.minorleaguefootballnews.c...llnews&he=.com

100% Certified Grade-A SteelerChick
TailgateMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

I would actually like to see this league take off and place teams in markets where there isnt NFL. Like Canton Ohio. And with no NFL minor league this is a good place for guys to go and make a name and try to get in.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 AM   #7
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

The Cowboys will pick up Vick.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

No Cincy will pick him up.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateMel View Post
It is surprizing that there is really no true minor league football, there is minor league baseball, hockey & basketball.. but no football... I'm not sure if that is what the UFL is going for directly.. but, with no NFL Europe, I would think this would be a great opportunity for a lot of guys and would be fun for those in markets without an NFL team...

edit.. I guess I never realized there is minor league football...
http://www.minorleaguefootballnews.c...llnews&he=.com
I played HS football in WV and the field that our team used as a home field we shared with a minor league team known as the West Virginia Lightning. I used to work conessions at those games to try and earn some extra cash. (The pay sucked!)
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
In my opinion more football is a great thing. But just like the XFL itll be branded as subpar and dismissed.
I don't know about that. Look at the Arena Football League. It's pretty darn popular now. It's clearly not NFL caliber...so it might meet your definition of subpar...but it has it's own niche.

So long as the UFL understands that it's not going to usurp the NFL and keeps a tightly controlled budget in place, there should be no reason why it couldn't flourish. I would just ensure that it's a spring/summer league.