Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458
Default Re: Pittsburgh Can Dominate Wounded Dallas vs Cowboys' Strategy Against the Pittsbur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill Write View Post
That line about the PK. 15 of 17, "reliable" from 40 to 50 yards. Yeah, them stats ain't from Heinz Field on a December night.
Nick Folk has been a very, very, very stud kicker for us. He's made some of the clutchest kicks in the most pressure of situations.

Last year in Buffalo, a game you probably saw that we miraculously pulled out despite 5 Romo INTs, he kicked not one, but TWO 53 yarders as time expired.(The reason why I said 2 is b/c Buffalo called a TO thanks to that new bogus rule after the first one)

I know it was fair weather then, and the field conditions will be horrible, but it's been YEARS since we've had a halfway decent kicker. The ones we had under Parcells were the most rotten I've ever seen.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,565 Times in 3,985 Posts
Default Re: Pittsburgh Can Dominate Wounded Dallas vs Cowboys' Strategy Against the Pittsbur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewman41 View Post
Nick Folk has been a very, very, very stud kicker for us. He's made some of the clutchest kicks in the most pressure of situations.

Last year in Buffalo, a game you probably saw that we miraculously pulled out despite 5 Romo INTs, he kicked not one, but TWO 53 yarders as time expired.(The reason why I said 2 is b/c Buffalo called a TO thanks to that new bogus rule after the first one)

I know it was fair weather then, and the field conditions will be horrible, but it's been YEARS since we've had a halfway decent kicker. The ones we had under Parcells were the most rotten I've ever seen.
this will be dallas's 1st trip to heinz field. id say their maximum range is 43 yds then. anything else will be missed. im trying to think if wade phillips (with n. kaeding or buffalo ever kicked there and how they did- cant remember off hand).

i say cowboys either punt, go for it, or miss, from anything further than 40 yds.

while they are the cowboys, theyre not used to playing in the cow pasture.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #13
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
this will be dallas's 1st trip to heinz field. id say their maximum range is 43 yds then. anything else will be missed. im trying to think if wade phillips (with n. kaeding or buffalo ever kicked there and how they did- cant remember off hand).

i say cowboys either punt, go for it, or miss, from anything further than 40 yds.

while they are the cowboys, theyre not used to playing in the cow pasture.
I know-was just pointing out what this writer was saying. Parcells had one heck of a time trying to find a decent kicker while he was here, to the point where it became near-comical. In '05, 2 bad kickers costed us 2-3 games. In '06, he made Matt Vandergact(believe it or not) the highest paid kicker in the league...only to cut him after Thanksgiving which costed us a cap hit, but then lucked out with Martin Gramatica(through his ties with Belichick) for the remainder of the season.

The season after when we drafted Folk, we lucked out AGAIN when Gramatica got injured in preseason-otherwise, Folk would have likely been a Giant.

But yeah-having seen a number of Steelers home games on tv, the announcers would talk about having to kick on the field alot.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #14
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,153 Posts
Default Re: Pittsburgh Can Dominate Wounded Dallas

Whats the longest field goal kicked at Heinz? I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any 50 yders.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by MACH1; 12-02-2008 at 11:50 PM.
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #15
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Tony Blomo is just a creation of the media sucking of the "South" Americas Team.
I don't like Romo any more than the next Steeler's fan, but the Romo trashing is just stupid.

Romo is a mobile, intelligent quarterback playing behind a good offensive line. He has good receivers, although they may be missing MBIII at RB. I don't think Dallas' offense will do much, but that's more a reflection on our defense than their offense--they're certainly good enough that if our offense gives them short fields with turnovers we could lose.

The most critical matchup in this game is Steelers O-Line vs. DeMarcus Ware. If Starks+assorted TEs and backs can contain Ware, we'll be fine.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
tony hipchest

lol. picking a kicker is like picking a booger. you can pick both but you cant wipe your kickers on the couch.

didnt the cowboys have todd suisham(?) at one point?

i think he was once thought to give reed competition in camp at one point (still cant remember for sure- he did alright 1 pre-season for us)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #17
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Whats the longest field goal kicked at Hinz? I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any 50 yders.
its vinatieri. i think it was 48-49 yder. (04 afcc game in the blistering cold i think).

jeff reed may have beaten that this year though (i think he missed it).
Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #18
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Quote:
lol. picking a kicker is like picking a booger. you can pick both but you cant wipe your kickers on the couch.

didnt the cowboys have todd suisham(?) at one point?

i think he was once thought to give reed competition in camp at one point (still cant remember for sure- he did alright 1 pre-season for us)
He plays with the Redskins now-while he can be wildly inconsistent for them once in awhile, he's been a good clutch kicker for them overall.

He didn't play well for us in the few games here, but somehow, he started booming them from 50 yards the minute he put on a Skins uniform.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #19
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Quote:
its vinatieri. i think it was 48-49 yder. (04 afcc game in the blistering cold i think).

Vinetierri is Houdini-the minute he put on a Colts uniform, his old self never went away.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,169 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:

Reed hit a 50-yarder on 12/3/06 vs. TB:

Quote:
12/3 vs. Tampa Bay: Converted a 50-yard field goal, the longest field goal made at Heinz Field by an NFL player....
http://news.steelers.com/Team/Player%7C73
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote