Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202
Default Chambliss wins in Georgia

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...a-runoff_N.htm

SMYRNA, Ga. Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss easily won Georgia's contentious, month-long runoff election Tuesday, ending Democratic hopes of reaching a 60-seat majority in the Senate.

Chambliss, who beat Democratic challenger Jim Martin, promised voters throughout the campaign that he would serve as a check on Democratic power after the party expanded its majority in Congress last month.

"People all around the world have truly had their eyes on Georgia," he said. "And you have delivered tonight a strong message that conservative Georgia values matter."

Robert "Mike" Duncan, chairman of the Republican National Committee, said the victory "sends a strong message to Washington that unchecked power is not acceptable."

On stage with Chambliss, Duncan said "the resurgence of the Republican Party is beginning tonight here in Georgia."

With 96% of precincts reporting, Chambliss was ahead 57.5% to 42.5%. In his concession speech, Martin called his defeat "a sad moment" for his family, campaign and supporters.

Turnout appeared to be lower than the Nov. 4 general election, when 3.8 million people voted. Turnout was below general election levels in every county where all the votes had been counted by late Tuesday evening.

Georgia requires a runoff when no candidate receives more than 50% of the vote in a general election. On Nov. 4, Chambliss topped Martin 49.8% to 46.8%.

Senate Democrats will control at least 58 votes next year, up from 51 in the current Congress. To reach 60, which would have given the Democrats a filibuster-proof majority, they needed to win in Georgia and Minnesota, where a recount is underway.

Both of Georgia's candidates played up the national significance of the race. Martin said a wider Democratic majority would help President-elect Barack Obama cut income taxes. Chambliss said he would serve as a check on Democratic power.

"The balance of power is important," said Rick Mianulli, a 46-year-old Cobb County businessman who voted for Chambliss. "If it were the other way, and the Republicans held everything, I would have voted Democrat."

Merribel McKeever, a 23-year-old student who voted for Martin, said: "I thought it was time to do better."

A parade of high-profile party leaders visited in the final weeks of the campaign. Republican presidential nominee, Sen. John McCain, and his former running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, both campaigned for Chambliss.

Former president Bill Clinton and former vice president Al Gore visited Georgia for Martin. Obama did not, but he recorded a radio advertisement for Martin.

I am glad that the Dems didn't get the filibuster proof vote. I don't want either party to ever have the complete rule of our government per say, we need checks and balances in place. But, there are alot of Liberal Republicans in the senate and this runoff might not matter anyways.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Chambliss wins in Georgia

It's a small step in the right direction. Balance is key in everything we do.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Dangit. I can't stand Bum Knee Saxby.

58/59/60 seats isn't that much of a difference because there's no procedural ban on a filibuster if you get to 60. You still have to round up the votes on individual bills, and there are Senators on both sides who will cross over on at least some issues.

It's good to keep it from being too lopsided, but I'd rather have one more D seat than have an unpatriotic coward like Chambliss in public office.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I don't like draft dodgers either, but there are an awful lot of them still in politics today.

The balance trumps the lack of character in the man in my book.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I don't like draft dodgers either, but there are an awful lot of them still in politics today.
True. But most of the draft dodgers at least keep their mouths shut. Chambliss questioned the patriotism of a man who lost both legs and an arm in Nam and that puts him in a special class of douchebag.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Dangit. I can't stand Bum Knee Saxby.

58/59/60 seats isn't that much of a difference because there's no procedural ban on a filibuster if you get to 60. You still have to round up the votes on individual bills, and there are Senators on both sides who will cross over on at least some issues.

It's good to keep it from being too lopsided, but I'd rather have one more D seat than have an unpatriotic coward like Chambliss in public office.
Honestly-with all this hoopla how the Dems wanted that magic 60 number...

1) Especially from that '06 midterm election, there are a good number of Reaganites, Pro Life, Pro 2nd Ammendment Democrats(i.e. VA's Jim Webb and PA's Bill Casey).

2) The Senate also has their fair share of Rhino Republicans as well(i.e. Arlen Spector, Susan Collins, and Olympia Snowe).

In the end, it could very well even out. And besides-everyone said how having even the slightest GOP majority in the Senate was great for Bush. I would think 58 is GREAT for any President.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
Havik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8843

Chambliss is a douchebag. I hate seeing people like him in Congress.
Havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havik View Post
Chambliss is a douchebag. I hate seeing people like him in Congress.
I've started to hate having 1 party in charge of all branches of govt. Allows a lot of room for corruption.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote