Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts
Default exploit the dallas defense with TE's

2 wr/ 1 rb set with spaeth on d. wares side, leaving heath miller covered by their safety (who is it, henry?). great way to slow ware's pass rush down.

they can double up on miller,possibly leaving hines or santonio in 1 on 1, with just 1 man to stop willie or moore (assuming 5 linemen get a block).

we can easilly run no huddle out of this package leaving plenty of run or pass options open, and trap them with their base package on the field.

on the flipside, if the cowboys tried this, i would have no problem with clark, troy, or even woodley/timmons isolated on witten.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Steelers Since '75
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8308
Default Re: exploit the dallas defense with TE's

Tony... Tony... Tony... don't you realize that Arians needs three TE's or none... your offensive scheme is much too advanced
Steelers Since '75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Seattle's rookie TE John Carlson had success against the cowboys last week. Chris Cooley, the best TE they have faced, had 11 catches in 2 games against them

If used the right way, miller could do the same damage. And more

Every time Heath gets the ball the offense starts to work better. I really do hope they exploit this matchup

As for witten, tight ends have been dangerous against the steelers defense the past few years no matter how good the defense was. Not so much this year though

I'm less scared about him for this game than I would have been in the past I'll say that much
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i like that basic set up 4 the offense.. throw in some bunch formations and it could work with roll-outs...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Time out, time out!!!! Come on people,,, You act like BA is smart enuff to figure this out or something....
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
Time out, time out!!!! Come on people,,, You act like BA is smart enuff to figure this out or something....
he is.

shhh... but hes a frequent guest to this site. (you didnt hear that from me though, ok... )
Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #7
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Over the last 5 years, watching our D having to cover TEs has been a nightmare. FWIW, Jeremy Shockey always had career games against us(while doing next to nil against everyone else). Thankfully he's gone now, but yah-even the most mediocre of TEs would have a field day on us, including the Hawks' rookie last week.

I WILL say though when our DEEP secondary is HEALTHY, we've actually done a pretty good job this year in covering TEs b/c we would have Newman and Pacman covering the wideouts, with Jenkins/Scandrick in the slot, while it would leave Henry the luxury to matchup with TEs.

Anyhow-despite our slight improvement this year, it's still a bit of a concern for us. Our LBs aren't very fast either(although Bradie James has stepped up alot in recent weeks), and our safeties were never great cover guys themselves.

Just my 2 cents added.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

Yeah, the key is getting TEs isolated on their Linebackers. Dallas has solid corners, but the safeties and LBs are mediocre at best in pass coverage.

If we can hit some short passes to Heath we might be able to slow down the pass rush a bit, too.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMan21 View Post
Yeah, the key is getting TEs isolated on their Linebackers. Dallas has solid corners, but the safeties and LBs are mediocre at best in pass coverage.

If we can hit some short passes to Heath we might be able to slow down the pass rush a bit, too.
Just curious-how are your LBs and safeties in terms of pass coverage?

Also-I didn't catch any football throughout much of November(had other obligations)-how did Chris Cooley and Dallas Clark do against your D?
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #10
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

Our linebackers are generally tailored more to pass-rushing than pass defense, but Harrison in particular can be a playmaker in coverage. Timmons is also solid--he comes in on passing downs--and Farrior is an intelligent player who does pretty well. I expected Woodley to struggle, being a converted defensive end, but he's actually been pretty good. The linebacker corps is pretty much the heart of our team.

As for our safeties, Polamalu is basically superhuman, and while Clark is not nearly on the same level he's competent in coverage and hits hard.

If we have problems covering your guys, it's probably going to be due to Romo's mobility--I feel like we sometimes struggling with mobile quarterbacks who can get outside the pocket and evade our pass-rush, because our corners are solid but not the caliber of our LBs.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote