Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers host "America's Team" By Jim Wexell

Steelers host "America's Team"
By Jim Wexell , For the Herald-Standard
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/n...d=468632&rfi=6

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers have played the Dallas Cowboys only twice in the last 13 years, yet the Cowboys are considered one of the Steelers' great rivals.
The Cowboys are "America's Team," and Steelers Nation hates them for that and what they stand for.

It's not so much a rivalry based on competition, but one based on a way of life: Glamour vs. Blue-collar idealism.

Why are the Cowboys so glamorous?

"I think they have a glamour owner," said Steelers free safety Ryan Clark. "You see Mr. Rooney, he walks around, unassuming, just a great guy. He's never really in front of the cameras, and when he is in front of the cameras there's usually a good reason. Whereas Jerry Jones, he's a moneymaker. He knows how to put his team in the forefront. He knows how to make his team Hollywood. They do training camp in California. They're always making blockbuster trades and free agent moves. When you put your team out there like that, and they perform, that's going to be the glamour team."

The Cowboys have performed this year. They are 8-4 and have overcome a month-long loss of quarterback Tony Romo. He returned three games ago, led the team to three wins, and propelled himself to the top of the NFL passer rating list (103.2).

Of course, the last time the Steelers faced the league's top passer, Philip Rivers was intercepted twice and led his team to only 10 points in a loss. The Steelers also were the first to intercept Jason Campbell this season and last week sent Matt Cassel back to reality.

But Clark says Romo, the undrafted free agent from Eastern Illinois, is the real deal.

"He really is," Clark said. "I think he plays free. It's just rare to see. You see it in guys like Brett Favre, and Jay Cutler is coming along like that, too. Romo is definitely in the upper echelon of quarterbacks."

It helps that Romo has a deep threat like Terrell Owens. The 34-year-old hasn't slowed much. He's second in the NFL with 8 touchdown catches. His 52 catches ranks second on his team behind tight end Jason Witten (58-709). The other tight end, 6-6 rookie Marcellus Bennett, has caught touchdown passes in each of the last three games. The other Cowboys wide receivers are Patrick Crayton (31-409) and talented newcomer Roy Williams (11-161) from the Detroit Lions.

"They've got all the weapons a good offense has: a good quarterback, good receiver, great running back, a big offensive line," said Steelers linebacker James Farrior. "They've got all the tools to get the job done. We'll have to stop the run first and foremost and then let the dogs loose after that."

But Cowboys running back Marion Barber (870 yards rushing, 3.9 avg.) has missed practice all week with a dislocated pinkie toe. If he plays, he'll play with a plate in his shoe.

Defensively, the Cowboys are second in the league in sacks, two behind the Steelers. DeMarcus Ware, the right outside linebacker, leads the NFL with 15 sacks. His bookend, Greg Ellis, has five, while nose tackle Jay Ratliff has six.

The Cowboys, like the Steelers, run a 3-4 scheme and rank 10th in the league overall.

"Their 3-4 is a lot different than ours," said Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley. "Our 3-4 is different from any other across the league. We get different looks. Our defensive linemen and outside linebackers are asked to do certain things other teams don't do.

"Another thing their quarterback is going to see is the weather. It's going to be different than what's going on in Texas. In this game, it might be 20 degrees and snow, with the wind coming off that water. It's definitely going to be a different environment as well."

In other words, Heinz Field might not be the place for America's Team to get glamorous.

(Glamor? It's just media driven hype. The wretched cow turds probably spend more on advertising than they do on scouting. I have no interest in their psycho circus of egotistical, drug crazed, borderline psychos and their escapades with their straight to video, gold digging, Hollywood skank profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilters. Give me hard working blue collar players any day of the week and twice on Sunday. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
Burghfan58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10872
Default Re: Steelers host "America's Team" By Jim Wexell

Glitz and glamour aside, this game could hinge on turnovers. With 20 to 30 mph winds I can't see many, if any deep balls being converted. Todays conditions are best suited for short passes and a running game. I like the blue collar guys chances.

Steelers can't win it every year. Some teams can't win it any year.
Burghfan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
CrimsonTideSteelersFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4772

Let's go Steelers!!! Beat the hell out of Dallas today and send those girly men back to the Little D with their tails tucked.
CrimsonTideSteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

i saw an AWESOME article on how the steelers were americas team and not the cowboys. a REALLY awesome article damn i wish i could find it. i'll keep looking, but either way, cowgirls are goin downnnnn
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

As long as Ben's brain damage don't act up and make him throw 7 picks we should be OK.

I say we send Anthony Smith out to take a flag and light up T.O. on the first Dallas series, crack him hard to send a message to all their WR's. A little head-hunting never hurt.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Burghfan58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
As long as Ben's brain damage don't act up and make him throw 7 picks we should be OK.

I say we send Anthony Smith out to take a flag and light up T.O. on the first Dallas series, crack him hard to send a message to all their WR's. A little head-hunting never hurt.
The message was sent last week. I'm sure T.O. and company saw the video of Ryan Clark laying out Welker. I'm pretty sure they will have their heads on a swivel if they choose to come across the middle. Get your popcorn ready.

Steelers can't win it every year. Some teams can't win it any year.
Burghfan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

It should be a good game, and Im sure we will light up one of their chump recievrs
Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

With the weather today I just don't see a lot offensive numbers being put up and IMO it will come down to who runs the ball better. Let's see Tashard Choice or Moore/FWP. Gotta go with FWP and Moore. I guarantee that our defense will be fired up just like they were last week for today's challenge.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote