Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #71
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Browns have Schottenheimer on radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
Heres the sound of things coming from Clayton:

Do you think his loyalty to Pittsburgh would prevent coaching in the division? Does that trump a whole brinks trunk full of money, and everything he'd want to do in a franchise? Or could this be just him using Clayton as a mouthpiece saying "Randy, you're going to have to offer me more", or is it just Clayton speculating things? He is after all from the Steel city, so there could be a slight bias there.

I'm curious if he left on good terms with the Rooneys, I've heard that he was forced out, I've also heard that he had/has a good relationship with them.
His relationship with the Rooneys very well could keep him from coaching within the division.

Cowher grew up in the Pittsburgh area and grew up a Steelers fan. The Browns chose Bellichick over Cowher and look at where that has gotten the Browns. It got them one playoff appearance, a loss to Cowher's Steelers.

I do not know how Cowher left, there is only speculation. The only people that truly know how Cowher left is Cowher, his family, and the Rooneys.

We'll see how much his bond with the Rooneys and the rest of the Steelers orginization means to him when he makes his desicion on coaching (go the Cleveland, go somewhere else, stay on tv).

Also, I highly doubt Bill Cowher needs the money. Unless he invested it all into the stock market, he's sitting on quite a lot...plus making a nice chunk working one day a week. So loyalty to the Rooneys could keep him from having a Brinks truck from Cleveland backing up to his door.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #72
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
His relationship with the Rooneys very well could keep him from coaching within the division.

Cowher grew up in the Pittsburgh area and grew up a Steelers fan. The Browns chose Bellichick over Cowher and look at where that has gotten the Browns. It got them one playoff appearance, a loss to Cowher's Steelers.

I do not know how Cowher left, there is only speculation. The only people that truly know how Cowher left is Cowher, his family, and the Rooneys.

We'll see how much his bond with the Rooneys and the rest of the Steelers orginization means to him when he makes his desicion on coaching (go the Cleveland, go somewhere else, stay on tv).

Also, I highly doubt Bill Cowher needs the money. Unless he invested it all into the stock market, he's sitting on quite a lot...plus making a nice chunk working one day a week. So loyalty to the Rooneys could keep him from having a Brinks truck from Cleveland backing up to his door.
We now know how Cleveland apparently treated him last time around, this is from Fred Phelps,the guy who does the Cavs pre/post-game on FSNOhio:

From the sound of things, the Art Moddell led Browns treated Cowher like crap when trying to get the job. Heard on the radio, that when Belichick came to the airport for his job interview, he was privately chauffeured as to avoid the press, and moddell kissed his ass the whole way. When Cowher came, he was really excited and wanted the job very badly, shows up to the airport expecting a taxi or something to pick him up and let him go to berea, thing is, Moddell left him hanging, and a TV news truck that was set to interview him, had to give him a ride to Berea.

Many of the Browns fans were auctually sort of pissed that Moddel hired mumbles instead of Bill, "We hired the wrong Bill!", was the call that rang out by the end of Mumbles first season, Dude was hated.

Just more proof that Art was a scumbag, but thats for another time.

What was the speculation when he did quit back in '07? I'm curious is there any thread on here about what may have happened?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #73
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
Heres the sound of things coming from Clayton:

Do you think his loyalty to Pittsburgh would prevent coaching in the division? Does that trump a whole brinks trunk full of money, and everything he'd want to do in a franchise? Or could this be just him using Clayton as a mouthpiece saying "Randy, you're going to have to offer me more", or is it just Clayton speculating things? He is after all from the Steel city, so there could be a slight bias there.

I'm curious if he left on good terms with the Rooneys, I've heard that he was forced out, I've also heard that he had/has a good relationship with them.
Cowher still bleeds black and gold, I can hear him every time he announces on the steelers or anything like that, he gets excited, his chin starts to jut out lol.

But playing what if scenario, If cowher does decide to go to the Browns, then the Rooneys can play hardball because if Im correct, Cowher did still have 1 more year left in his contract and try to bust cowhers chops or ask $$$$ from the browns, but then again, I can be wrong. I say fire o line coach z and put him as the new coach lol. That would be impossible because I can see a massive locker room split coming up.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #74
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
If cowher does decide to go to the Browns, then the Rooneys can play hardball because if Im correct, Cowher did still have 1 more year left in his contract.

That's a negative - Cowher's last contract year with the Steelers ended with the 2007 season.

He's free and clear to do what he wants.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #75
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This whole "He's loyal to the Rooney's" thing is a ruse concocted by Steelers fans who are trying to find ways to convice themselves that this won't happen.

I also put pretty much zero stock in Clayton's claims that Cowher is playing games with the Browns to increase his stock. His asking price is what it is regardless.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #76
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

it's like saying that lebron james will def stay with the cavs b/c he is an ohio kid... ppl go where either A: the money is or B: where the championship is.... so if bill does decide 2 coach the browns, it's b/c he may need the money

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #77
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
This whole "He's loyal to the Rooney's" thing is a ruse concocted by Steelers fans who are trying to find ways to convice themselves that this won't happen..
I think you're dead on with that one.

Bill will take the money and run, but I don't think his ego could stand losing twice a year to the Steelers, that's what will keep him out of the AFC North.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #78
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
it's like saying that lebron james will def stay with the cavs b/c he is an ohio kid... ppl go where either A: the money is or B: where the championship is.... so if bill does decide 2 coach the browns, it's b/c he may need the money
I think in Bill's case, it's both. If he comes to the Browns it's because he's getting paid and believes he'll have a chance at winning a ring for Cleveland.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #79
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
This whole "He's loyal to the Rooney's" thing is a ruse concocted by Steelers fans who are trying to find ways to convice themselves that this won't happen.

I also put pretty much zero stock in Clayton's claims that Cowher is playing games with the Browns to increase his stock. His asking price is what it is regardless.
Right, Right...Top three things he wants contract wise would be:

1.) 8-9 mill.
2.) To call the shots on who runs the front office.
3.)Some form of stock in the team, (IE Minority Ownership)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
LeBron..is..Up in the air about being an Ohio kid, its defintly a plus for him wanting to stay here, as far as the two that were mentioned you're dead on, the reason I see him staying with the Cavs are those two reasons right now.

Now, with those applied to Cowher, The money I think is there, and the talent on the team to contend for a championship...is still missing a lot of pieces...But there are a few pieces in place, again from the sound of him talking on the CBS pre game the other day, he was very defensive of Cleveland, something that struck me as odd.

Now, Bernie Kosar (who does a part time job with lerner, gives him his opinion, etc) was on the radio just a few hours a go, and had said, that coaches when they're approached about another mans job, while the guy still has the job and whether they would take it, the coach will always say no, regardless of the situation, until that coach is fired. I tend to think that theory is right.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #80
Fire Haley
Banned

I still say FG Bill is too comfy sitting in the studio with the stuffed shirts to come back to coaching just yet.

Maybe in another year or two, like he's been saying.