Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Steelers Experience

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
paulska
Water Boy

Member Number: 1570
Default What do real Steeler fans eat?

Hi all,
Congrats to the Steelers for an awesome season and a well deserved trip to the SB.

I'm a Packers fan, so I don't have much to cheer for these days, but I'm posting to see if you could help me out. We always host a SB party that features food from the two cities represented in the SB.

I'm wondering if Steelers fans could help me out with suggestions about the kind of food you'll all be eating at your favourite spot in Pittsburgh.

The last time Pittsburgh was in the SB I think we threw down beer boiled brats with kraut on a bun with brown mustard.

If you have suggestions, recipes or even links to stuff I could make so that the Steelers get the respect they deserve at our party, that would be awesome.

Best of luck to your team. No question about the fact that your D is KILLING people- I hope Clark is ready to go after that insane hit. I was in pain after that one...

Looking forward to your suggestions, thanks!
paulska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203
Default Re: What do real Steeler fans eat?

pierogis

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts

scroll down on the main forum page and hit the "recipe" forum for some good ideas.

chipped ham sandwiches, polish sausage, and of course peirogis is always a hit.

throw slaw and fries on any sandwich and you have instant "primanti bros".

enjoy
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372

chipped ham and anything with hienz catchup
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Pierogies. And tony, you can't just put the slaw on, the slaw makes the sandwich. Unless you have the recipe.
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Chickpea cutlets!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

ALright.

There are two ways of making perogis.

Since you are probably a newbie to the joys of perogi's go out and buy Mrs. T's. Now, No true Ukrainian, Polish, Eastern European heritage person would DARE want Mrs. T's instead of homemade. However, since your new at it, it will be ok.

Now you have two ways of cooking them. One is to boil them until they are soft, then throw them in a frying pan with onions and bacon. make sure they don't get too brown this way. Let the bacon grease coat the pan so that they don't stick and burn. Eat them with sour cream.

Here is a fancy pic

Then there is the Tail-Gate, immediate heart attack way (as if the former wasn't bad enough!). Take a stick of butter and melt it (yes, A STICK OF BUTTER). Put the perogis in and let the butter permeate. When they get real soft, you may have to empty some of the butter out, so that the perogies will begin to brown. In this case, you want them firm, browned, but not burnt. For extra taste, pour a little garlic on it. Either way, make sure you have the sour cream to dip them in.

Here is a pic of the perogies fried.... check out the darkest and the lightest.. you really want to stay right in between, shading just to the darker.

I have found it is best when you have that with either Italian (hot or sweet) or Polish sausage.

However, if you ask around this board, there will be a LOT of recipes for Perogis.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
ALright.

There are two ways of making perogis.

Since you are probably a newbie to the joys of perogi's go out and buy Mrs. T's. Now, No true Ukrainian, Polish, Eastern European heritage person would DARE want Mrs. T's instead of homemade. However, since your new at it, it will be ok.

Now you have two ways of cooking them. One is to boil them until they are soft, then throw them in a frying pan with onions and bacon. make sure they don't get too brown this way. Let the bacon grease coat the pan so that they don't stick and burn. Eat them with sour cream.

Here is a fancy pic

Then there is the Tail-Gate, immediate heart attack way (as if the former wasn't bad enough!). Take a stick of butter and melt it (yes, A STICK OF BUTTER). Put the perogis in and let the butter permeate. When they get real soft, you may have to empty some of the butter out, so that the perogies will begin to brown. In this case, you want them firm, browned, but not burnt. For extra taste, pour a little garlic on it. Either way, make sure you have the sour cream to dip them in.

Here is a pic of the perogies fried.... check out the darkest and the lightest.. you really want to stay right in between, shading just to the darker.

I have found it is best when you have that with either Italian (hot or sweet) or Polish sausage.

However, if you ask around this board, there will be a LOT of recipes for Perogis.

nothing beats Perogies Plus on island avenue, its in Mckees Rocks, on the west side of the burgh, i grew up right down the road

they will even deliver them to you for a price.....these things are AWESOME!!!!!

http://www.pierogiesplus.com/