Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Washington hold on bitter cold day

Washington hold on bitter cold day
By Bill Allmann
Times Sports Correspondent
Published: Monday, December 8, 2008 12:20 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — The stands were barely two-thirds full five minutes before kickoff as many fans put off arriving at their cold seats until the very last minute. The wind chill at kickoff was eight degrees.

But it wasn’t just the fans who noticed.

“It’s tough to play in 20-degree weather,” said Nate Washington, who finished as the Steelers’ top receiver despite not catching his first pass until two minutes left in the third quarter. “Just because we play in Pittsburgh doesn’t mean we’re used to this.”

Washington, though, wouldn’t even commit to this being the coldest game he ever played in. Geneva College fans may remember this game from November 2003.

That Saturday night, Washington was a member of the Tiffin University Dragons and accounted for every completion Tiffin had that night as they defeated Geneva 16-13 in Tiffin, Ohio.

“That night was colder,” Washington said. “I remember that game well.

“We went to watch the game films later and we couldn’t. The film was green because the camera froze.”

Playing in front of maybe hundreds of fans that night, Washington showed sure hands, a trait he continued to show in front of 60,000-plus at Heinz Field and a national television crowd. His first catch of the drive that tied the game in the final minutes was a masterful one that some questioned was really a catch.

“I knew I was definitely under it,” said Washington of the 14-yard completion in front of the Dallas bench. “I wanted them to challenge so they’d lose a timeout but my enthusiasm may have made them change their mind.”

On the next play, Washington caught a 32-yard pass to take the ball into Dallas territory at the 32-yard line. Four plays later, he got the ball into the red zone with a 16-yard reception.

“I don’t think I was the go-to guy,” Washington said. “Ben made great reads and found the open guy. It was me.”

On the tackle by Ken Hamlin after his last catch, though, he lay on the field long enough for the officials to stop the clock for an injury. Replays seemed to suggest a dislocated ankle or a broken foot. Moments later, Washington walked off without a limp.

“I don’t know how Nate got up from that deal,” said coach Mike Tomlin. “By the time I got out there he was jumping around and running.”

“It’s not an injury,” Washington said. “I’ll be practicing Wednesday. Don’t call it an injury. I could go out there now and play.”

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...3563305888.txt
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Washington hold on bitter cold day

I don't care what anyone thinks, I believe Nate is becoming a dangerous player. He is a reliable, yes reliable, 3rd WR. This guy has speed that the D needs to account for, which we don't exploit enough.

IMO, our best offensive weapons at this time on O are with the singleback 3WR set, with MeMo at RB.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
I don't care what anyone thinks, I believe Nate is becoming a dangerous player. He is a reliable, yes reliable, 3rd WR. This guy has speed that the D needs to account for, which we don't exploit enough.

IMO, our best offensive weapons at this time on O are with the singleback 3WR set, with MeMo at RB.
Couldnt agree more.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post

It is going to be very interesting to see if we resign him. IMO, he has done enough and has proved to be reliable. He is a lot more consistent this year than he has been in the past. Sure he has dropped a few, but so has hines. With Hines aging, i think we resign washington to have him, santonio, and sweed for the future.

And i hope we resign mcfadden too, although he could be a little more expendable. but i think mcfadden is a star on the rise and would be a HUGE mistake to let him walk.
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

The best kept secret is the guy who called the coin flip and took the wind at our backs in the 4th qtr.

It was the winning difference.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lers View Post
It is going to be very interesting to see if we resign him. IMO, he has done enough and has proved to be reliable. He is a lot more consistent this year than he has been in the past. Sure he has dropped a few, but so has hines. With Hines aging, i think we resign washington to have him, santonio, and sweed for the future.
I am liking Nate alot better this year than last year for the reasons that you have stated above. He has come up with some big time catches in some key moments.

I like your WR line up for the future, but I think that some team will come in and offer up a good contract to lure him away from us. Kind of reminds me of the Bobby Shaw situation. Hopefully not!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Santo has dropped just as many if not more than Nate at the most inopportune times this season, yet it's Nate that still gets crucified as the butterfingers. I expected Santo to take the next step this year and he hasn't, at least so far.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Santo has dropped just as many if not more than Nate at the most inopportune times this season, yet it's Nate that still gets crucified as the butterfingers. I expected Santo to take the next step this year and he hasn't, at least so far.
To santo's defense, he has made some unbelievable catches this year. for example, that catch from ben after he was almost sacked 3 times on the sideling.

EDIT: the sideline catch to make it 3rd and something, not the big play.

Last edited by Sharkissle29; 12-08-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clarification
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote