Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-09-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
browner3
Water Boy

Member Number: 10937
Default 2009 OFF-SEASON!!!!!!!

2008 Season

Steelers finish 12-4 and #2 in the AFC
Beat the Colts in the divisional game
Beat the Ravens in the AFC Championship
Beat the Panthers in the SB

The Steelers win the SB on the shoulders of the D. The Offense plays just well enough to get us that 6th ring. However, I still believe Arians should be fired. I know itís awfully rare for a SB team to fire its OC, but lets not fool ourselves, he must go. As well as the OL coach.

Extend Heath Miller and James Harrison

2009 NFL Free Agency Steelers:

The Steelers are unable to sign, or let walk:

Charlie Batch
Fernando Bryant
Paul Ernster
Trai Essex
Byron Leftwich
Bryant McFadden
Orpheus Roye
Marvel Smith
Nate Washington

The Steelers resign:

Willie Colon
Keyaron Fox
Chris Kemoeatu
Anthony Madison
Max Starks

2009 NFL Free Agency:

Sign Marc Colombo OT Dallas
Sign Domonique Foxworth CB Atlanta
Sign Roscoe Parrish WR Buffalo
Take a look at either Igor Olshansky or Chris Canty

2009 NFL Draft:

Rd. 1: Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma
Rd. 2: Vince Oghobaase DT/DE Duke
Rd. 3a: Kevin Barnes CB Maryland
Rd. 3b: Max Unger OT Oregon
Rd. 4: Pannel Egboh DE Stanford
Rd. 5: Mohamed Massaquoi WR Georgia
Rd. 6: Graham Harrell QB Texas Tech
Rd. 7a: Chris Pressley FB Wisconsin
Rd. 7b: Joey Husdon ILB Miami (OH)

2009 Depth Chart

LT: Max Starks, Tony Hills
LG: Duke Robinson, Kendall Simmons
C: Darnell Stapleton, Justin Hartwig
RG: Chris Kemoeatu, Wille Colon
RT: Marc Colombo, Max Unger
TE: Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, Sean McHugh
WR: Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Roscoe Parrish, Limas Sweed, Mohamed Massaquoi
FB: Chris Pressley
RB: Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, Gary Russell
QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Dennis Dixon

LDE: Aaron Smith, Nick Eason, Pannel Egboh
NT: Casey Hampton, Chris Hoke
RDE: Brett Keisel, Vince Oghobaase
LOLB: Lamarr Woodley, Bruce Davis
LILB: Lawrence Timmons, Keyaron Fox
RILB: James Farrior, Larry Foote
ROLB: James Harrison, Andre Frazier, Donovan Woods
CB: Ike Taylor, Kevin Barnes
SS: Troy Polomalu, Anthony Smith
FS: Ryan Clark, Ryan Mundy
CB: William Gay, Domonique Foxworth, Roy Lewis

K: Jeff Reed
P: Daniel Sepulveda
PR: Roscoe Parrish
KR: Roscoe Parrish, Rashard Mendenhall

Tell me what you think
browner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Member Number: 10612
Default Re: 2009 OFF-SEASON!!!!!!!

Arian's must go unless the offense mirculously comes together in the next 3 games or in the playoffs, which I highly doubt. And I agree, Superbowl or not, unless the offense takes 10 steps forward, he should go.

Cut Paul Ernster? Why? LOL..they should shoot him, not cut him

Colombo signed a 4 year extension today.

I'm not familiar with college at all and won't make pretend I am.

I want Offensive linemen in the first 2 rounds unless there is a "good" running back over 6'0 and 235 pounds.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I agree with most of this, except:

1) 12-4? Are you kidding? Who the hell are we going to lose to?

2) We won't fire Arians. Hopefully some piece of crap team like the Raiders will offer him the head coaching job and we'll let him go. Hell, maybe we'll even pick up the phone and give ol' Al Davs an unsolicited glowing recommendation.

3) I seriously worry about our ability to re-sign Harrison. He could've just priced himself out of our range.

4) I bet we keep Essex for cheap.

5) I'd put DL as an immediate need over OL, just because of how old everyone is and how thin we are. If there's a dominant DE or DT left by the time we pick, I bet we draft him. You can do fine at OL in the second and third rounds, and I'd be surprised if we don't take someone there. At every other position, we're basically set.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I agree with most of this, except:

1) 12-4? Are you kidding? Who the hell are we going to lose to?

2) We won't fire Arians. Hopefully some piece of crap team like the Raiders will offer him the head coaching job and we'll let him go. Hell, maybe we'll even pick up the phone and give ol' Al Davs an unsolicited glowing recommendation.

3) I seriously worry about our ability to re-sign Harrison. He could've just priced himself out of our range.

4) I bet we keep Essex for cheap.

5) I'd put DL as an immediate need over OL, just because of how old everyone is and how thin we are. If there's a dominant DE or DT left by the time we pick, I bet we draft him. You can do fine at OL in the second and third rounds, and I'd be surprised if we don't take someone there. At every other position, we're basically set.
I've lived through the stingyness of the Steelers for over 15 years, I hope you are wrong about Harrison though, I'm hopinh his age keeps him from getting to greedy.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SteelersFan View Post
I've lived through the stingyness of the Steelers for over 15 years, I hope you are wrong about Harrison though, I'm hopinh his age keeps him from getting to greedy.
With Harrison, it's not an issue of being cheap, it's an issue of the salary cap. If he wants a 5-year, $42 million deal, we just can't afford to pay him that much unless we want to give up Woodley or Clark or McFadden, or someone of that caliber. And given Harrison's age, I don't see us signing him to a long-term deal for that kind of money. Next year may really be it for him unless he does what Farrior did and takes a highish-but-still-reasonable offer. If the Redskins want to pay him something totally unrealistic, there's nothing we can do about it.

I really don't think the Steelers are cheap. They're right up against the salary cap limit every year, but probably two seasons out of three, they have to let go of a popular veteran who costs too much.

Just think of it in terms like this: Would you rather have Faneca on the team, or Polamalu? Would you rather keep Plaxico Burress, or Taylor, Townsend and Clark? Would you rather have kept Joey Porter, or Roethlisberger? Randle El, or Woodley and Holmes? Yeah, we've had to let some guys go, but 90% of the time, we end up being right on the ball about who's going to help us win in the long term.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Quote:
With Harrison, it's not an issue of being cheap, it's an issue of the salary cap. If he wants a 5-year, $42 million deal, we just can't afford to pay him that much unless we want to give up Woodley or Clark or McFadden, or someone of that caliber. And given Harrison's age, I don't see us signing him to a long-term deal for that kind of money. Next year may really be it for him unless he does what Farrior did and takes a highish-but-still-reasonable offer. If the Redskins want to pay him something totally unrealistic, there's nothing we can do about it.

I really don't think the Steelers are cheap. They're right up against the salary cap limit every year, but probably two seasons out of three, they have to let go of a popular veteran who costs too much.

Just think of it in terms like this: Would you rather have Faneca on the team, or Polamalu? Would you rather keep Plaxico Burress, or Taylor, Townsend and Clark? Would you rather have kept Joey Porter, or Roethlisberger? Randle El, or Woodley and Holmes? Yeah, we've had to let some guys go, but 90% of the time, we end up being right on the ball about who's going to help us win in the long term.
If he wasn't going to be a problem, honestly I would've kept Burress over Taylor, Townsend and Clark. I think they let Burress go because they knew he would end up shooting himself in the foot with his attitude. Who would've thought he would do it literally.

We always compete every year, I won't ever complain about front office moves. But I think they have been stingy in the past.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #7
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Dude, Holmes is basically the same receiver Burress is, minus the height and plus a little elusiveness. As I said in another thread, we're only allowed to have one talented-but-ghetto receiver on the team at a time.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 AM   #8
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

*raises hand*

I have a question. Why is your name "browner"?

Quote:
Dude, Holmes is basically the same receiver Burress is, minus the height and plus a little elusiveness. As I said in another thread, we're only allowed to have one talented-but-ghetto receiver on the team at a time.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I would be very happy if we got Duke Robinson in the first round. He is going to be a very good OL player in the NFL.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
With Harrison, it's not an issue of being cheap, it's an issue of the salary cap. If he wants a 5-year, $42 million deal, we just can't afford to pay him that much unless we want to give up Woodley or Clark or McFadden, or someone of that caliber.
I'd give up McFadden for silverback to stay

Nothing against him, but we have great corners and I know he's going to ask for a lot of money

If james takes a farrior type deal that would be the best thing in the world. Don't see it happening though. he DESERVES a good contract. just hope it's with the steelers....
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote