Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,496
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 420
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,332 Posts
Default The official "Fire Larry Zeirlein" thread.

OK, its been quiet for a while and I honestly thought that Coach Z needed a shot this season to show that he could "coach up" the O line. I know the unit is riddled with injuries, but he should be able to come up with blocking schemes behind Starks, Kemo, Hartwig that could get yardage in the run game.

As much as I think he is a technician and a good coach, I think he has lost the attention of the O line and they dont respect him as much as Grimm, just because he isnt one of the "hogs".

I saw a thing on NFL films where Tomlin came over to the O line on the bench and yelled at them to stop talking and then said ...."now listen to the man." and let Zeirline speak to them. If he isnt getting their attention in a sideline "chalk talk" I think he has lost them. I wouldnt be surprised to see him gone in 2009.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Burghfan58
Bench Warmer
 
Burghfan58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lancaster Pa.
Posts: 224
Member Number: 10872
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The official "Fire Larry Zeirlein" thread.

I'm not sold on Z. The O-line is definitly the weak link of the team. He's had two seasons with poor to average results. Time for a change.
__________________

Steelers can't win it every year. Some teams can't win it any year.
Burghfan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
BlastFurnace
Living Legend
 
BlastFurnace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 3,778
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6321
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The official "Fire Larry Zeirlein" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
OK, its been quiet for a while and I honestly thought that Coach Z needed a shot this season to show that he could "coach up" the O line. I know the unit is riddled with injuries, but he should be able to come up with blocking schemes behind Starks, Kemo, Hartwig that could get yardage in the run game.

As much as I think he is a technician and a good coach, I think he has lost the attention of the O line and they dont respect him as much as Grimm, just because he isnt one of the "hogs".

I saw a thing on NFL films where Tomlin came over to the O line on the bench and yelled at them to stop talking and then said ...."now listen to the man." and let Zeirline speak to them. If he isnt getting their attention in a sideline "chalk talk" I think he has lost them. I wouldnt be surprised to see him gone in 2009.
Wow...that doesn't speak too highly of Z.

From what some of the O'lineman said of how Faneca refused to listen to Z last year, it makes you wonder if the respect was lost from near the beginning of his hiring.

Personally, I think the line has been better since Simmons went out, but although you don't have to like your coaches, you must respect them.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,459
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4800
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The official "Fire Larry Zeirlein" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
Wow...that doesn't speak too highly of Z.

From what some of the O'lineman said of how Faneca refused to listen to Z last year, it makes you wonder if the respect was lost from near the beginning of his hiring.


Personally, I think the line has been better since Simmons went out, but although you don't have to like your coaches, you must respect them.
hmm....what did he do near the beginning of his hiring

oh yeah, I remember
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
NYC SteelersFan
Banned
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 597
Member Number: 10612
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The official "Fire Larry Zeirlein" thread.

I wouldn't be opposed at all.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
BlastFurnace
Living Legend
 
BlastFurnace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 3,778
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6321
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The official "Fire Larry Zeirlein" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
hmm....what did he do near the beginning of his hiring

oh yeah, I remember
LOL....I forgot about that. Coach Z sure made his mark with that one.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,915
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 9,647 Times in 4,009 Posts
Default Re: The official "Fire Larry Zeirlein" thread.

whats bruce matthews up to these days?
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,496
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 420
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,332 Posts
Default Re: The official "Fire Larry Zeirlein" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
hmm....what did he do near the beginning of his hiring

oh yeah, I remember
Come on....like you haven't hit REPLY TO ALL before by accident?? OK, maybe not to the NFL with porn
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
slippy
Bench Warmer
 
slippy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY: via Indiana, PA
Posts: 298
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5848
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The official "Fire Larry Zeirlein" thread.

it a result based league. unless we win the SB, coach Z must go.

i'd give arians one more year based only of the fact that it's impossible to run an offense without an o-line.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
Steelman16
Team President
 
Steelman16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,414
Member Number: 6517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The official "Fire Larry Zeirlein" thread.

Arians isn't as bad some like to believe. But Coach Z has to go.

If his players have no confidence in him, and he is unable to regain that trust, then it would only prove more detrimental to the team to keep him.
__________________
I'll keep my freedoms, my guns, and my
money . . . you can keep "THE CHANGE."
Steelman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts