Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers-Ravens equals no love, but ton of hate

Steelers-Ravens equals no love, but ton of hate
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Not once but twice yesterday coach Mike Tomlin referred to the division rivalry between the Steelers and Baltimore Ravens as one based on "mutual respect."

Where has he been the past dozen years?

Mutual hate would more aptly describe the annual two-game series between these franchises since the Ravens moved to Baltimore from Cleveland in 1996, a carryover from the old Browns-Steelers game. As Steelers receiver Hines Ward once said, "The coaches hate each other, the players hate each other."

Respect? Tell that to a wounded Joey Porter, who challenged Ray Lewis to step off the Ravens' team bus at Heinz Field after he felt the Baltimore linebacker, mocking his "boot," made fun of him being shot outside a Denver bar in 2003.

Respect? Ben Roethlisberger probably does not think that's what Bart Scott was paying him when the Ravens' linebacker slammed into him in 2006 then later described the hit thusly to Sports Illustrated: "I heard him make this 'ungh' sound, like air rushing out. I jumped up and did my bird dance, then looked back and saw Ben was still down, and I'm like, 'Yeah, I knocked him out of the game.' "

Nor could Ward feel much respect when Scott threatened to "kill" him after Ward had the audacity to block the linebacker last year.

"I threatened him," Scott said. "If I see him again, I'm going to threaten him again."

That's OK, because Ward has been threatened by the best of them, including former Steeler Rod Woodson when the receiver drew the safety's ire by -- what else? -- blocking him.

Respect? Tell that to Baltimore's Todd Heap when, as the obviously injured tight end limped to the line so his quarterback could spike the ball and kill the clock, he was knocked to the ground by Porter in 2004. Even Bill Cowher admonished Porter for that one.

Explain to Ward the respect that Terrell Suggs paid him when he said on a national radio show this year that he and some others on the Ravens' defense placed bounties on him and rookie Rashard Mendenhall. Said Suggs, "Hines Ward is definitely a dirty player, a cheap-shot artist."

Then tell Mendenhall about the respect Lewis had for him when, after he broke his shoulder with a clean hit in the third game this season, the Ravens' great linebacker exulted. Lewis later admitted that "I wasn't screaming, 'He's hurt,' I was screaming, 'He's done!' "

Ahh, if this series had no mutual respect, it would have nothing at all.

Here was how Tomlin described the rivalry yesterday:

"I know that this is a big-time football game for us. More than anything, it's because they play football the way we play football. It's a heated rivalry. I think it's born out of mutual respect, or at least I can say that it's born out of respect on our standpoint. We respect those guys.

"They're a physically tough, mentally tough football team. Those are things that we honor and desire to be and in order to do that, you've got to line up and play these guys and play that style of game. I'm sure it's going to be that style of game. I'd be shocked if it's not."

When the word "hostile" was mentioned about the environment the Steelers will face in Baltimore, Tomlin said, "A lot of colorful words could be used to describe it.

"I hope that the fans appreciate the level of mutual respect and I think that's what makes this such a heated rivalry more than anything else is the desire to play the brand of football that both teams do. It's great."

It's great and it's hate, and that's mutual.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08345/934033-66.stm
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500
Default Re: Steelers-Ravens equals no love, but ton of hate

This game blows the Giants-Cowboys off the map.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
This game blows the Giants-Cowboys off the map.
At least that we can agree upon.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

another game that should be prime-time.. i mean the browns are playing on mnf this week?!?!?!?!?

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

"I threatened him," Scott said. "If I see him again, I'm going to threaten him again."

read it close...THREATEN! all they do is threaten...talk shit and run their mouths (much like Porter.) and they hate us because they fear us. same with Baltimore fans. piss up a a rope Ravens. i'm sick and tired of your jibs flapping in the wind. you are SO stupid that if you didn't talk so much, you wouldn't know where to feed yourself....dipshits. ;)

i can't get enough of this rivalry. too bad it ends on Sunday. =)
Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
another game that should be prime-time.. i mean the browns are playing on mnf this week?!?!?!?!?
the Browns are the biggest bust this year. do you know how many people picked them to win the division this year!? like...SERIOUSLY!? they are worthless. they have a fluke year with a fluke QB and they are the next big thing since pants with pockets. F them and they need to go back to the drawing board. straight up garbage comes out of Ohio...except Ben, Harrison, and The Black Keys. haha!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Statik
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1140

This sunday is going to be a battle of epic proportions, and the boys will stand on top of the bloody heap planting the black & gold flag at the 50 of the Ratbirds stadium....
Statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

MAN, I hope Hines gives them more reason to whine and cry about him Sunday! Also, cannot wait to see Flacco getting hounded by Harrison and our D, it is going to be a great game. #1 against #2 defense, Big Ben and the O better be ready to rise to the occasion, because we are going to need it.

Took Monday off work, I know I am going to need the day off after this one!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I'd like to see a three prong linebacker attack
Harrison
Woodley
Timmons

with the back up of
Big Snack

holding the front line of the ratbirds from doing a darn thing. Better yet how about Big Snack getting his 2nd and 3rd sack of the year!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote