Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steelers: Super Bowl Contender or Lucky Pretender?

Pittsburgh Steelers: Super Bowl Contender or Lucky Pretender?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...nder/show_full
by Matt Craig (Contributor)

Last Sunday, when Deshea Townsend intercepted Tony Romo on the Dallas 26-yard line and ran into the end zone for the go ahead touchdown that ultimately won the game, Bill Hillgrove was going nuts.

After reading Mike Craig's picks for Week 14, I left a comment and told him the Steelers would win the game.

After the game, I bragged about it in his comments. Mike told me the Steelers were lucky, which is something I have been hearing a lot.

There was nothing lucky about the Steelers' victory over the Cowboys.

It was not lucky that Santonio Holmes returned a punt 33 yards that set up a Jeff Reed field goal which made it a one possession game. The Steelers defense was dominating all day, making Romo throw errant passes.

The only blemishes against the Steelers were three plays.

The first was a 3rd-and-3 play when Tashard Choice ran for 22 yards, keeping the drive alive. That led to a Romo pass to Terrell Owens for a touchdown on a broken play.

Take away Choice's run—no touchdown.

The last play was a Romo pass to Choice that went for 50 yards and led to a Folk field goal which would be the last time Dallas scored.
Author Poll

The Steelers had a drive that saw them march down the field only to get shut down on the goal line by a good Dallas defense.

So after the 4th-and-goal, there was less than eight minutes left in the game.

Pittsburgh scored 17 points in eight minutes with good offense and defense, not luck.

Holmes' return, then the eight-play, 67-yard drive capped by a Ben Roethlisberger pass to Heath Miller for a touchdown to knot up the game, were not luck.

Townsend's pick was not lucky either.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley pressured Romo into throwing when he was not ready and sailed the ball too high. Townsend was there to pick it off and score.

Mike Ditka from ESPN's NFL Countdown said the best team won—good teams find a way to win and average teams find a way to lose. Dallas found a way to lose.

To all the naysayers, Pittsburgh, in my opinion, is the team to beat in the AFC.

Keep this in mind—the Steelers had four comeback victories when they trailed in the fourth quarter: week 11 against San Diego, week five against Jacksonville, week four against Baltimore, which was won in overtime, and now the Dallas Cowboys fall victim to the last quarter heroics of the Steelers.

It wasn't lucky the Steelers started playing football at the right time and Dallas decided to quit playing.

The next two weeks will be real challenges for the Steelers, as they face Baltimore and Tennessee, who are the second and third ranked defenses in the league. Both games are on the road and will probably be like the Pittsburgh/Dallas game—low scoring.

Pittsburgh is a team that is up to the challenge. They are 8-1 versus the AFC this year.

Unlike the Steelers from last season, they are getting healthy at the right time and I'm personally looking forward to the next two weekends of the NFL.

Final Diagnosis: Super Bowl Contenders.

Will they make it there? I don't want to say yes and be disappointed later, but they will make a run for it.

The 2008 Steelers have the same qualities as the 2005 Steelers. It would be cool to see the Steelers write history again by being the first to six, but you have to play one week at a time and there is still a lot of football left.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers: Super Bowl Contender or Lucky Pretender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Mike told me the Steelers were lucky, which is something I have been hearing a lot.

Mike just needs to shut the f**k up
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
After reading Mike Craig's picks for Week 14, I left a comment and told him the Steelers would win the game.

After the game, I bragged about it in his comments. Mike told me the Steelers were lucky, which is something I have been hearing a lot.
First off, who is Mike Craig?

Quote:
Mike's Bio

Freshman in college, I come from Oil City, Pennsylvania. Football is a big part of my life. In high school, I played in 9th grade. When I didn't start when I thought I should have, and because I didn't like the varsity coach, I decided not to play the following year. Instead I went to all of the games the Varsity and the JV teams had and cheered for our school. Or yelled when I thought the coach called a really dumb play. I always paid attention to the NFL. The Green Bay Packers have been my favorite football team since I was in the 2nd grade. Which at the point (I didn't know it) they had recently just won Super Bowl XXXI the previous year.
Which leads to the logical follow-up question: Why should I give a damn what he thinks?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Calling a time out, when Dallas ran on 1st down trying to get the game to OT is what lead to the INT. It forced Dallas to pass knowing we'd keep calling time outs to get them to punt to us and hopefully set up a game winning Field Goal Drive on a short field.

1:58 left to play ball at the Dallas 15. Shotgun formation, Run play, Choice gets 2 yards. Steelers call Time Out.

2nd and 8. Dallas Shotgun formation, Pass, INT.

Out Fcking Coached.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 AM   #5
jdsdaguy
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6102

i am so sick of hearing how good the titans are. they let the freakin jets beat em!!!!!! this guy is one of those idiots who always wants to go against the home team.(he said he grew up in penn.) he is probably fornicating with farves poster as we speak. the titans may have a decent team, but there record is soley based on a soft schedule. it really doesn't take a geniuos to figure that out. just another front runner or waggon groupy or what ever. my question is " where do you find these idiots?" the old saying goes, "good teams find a way to win", and yes, this is a good steelers team. so this dude can eat his words when we get lucky a few more times this season.
jdsdaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
VTsteel
Starter

Member Number: 8161

Contender or Pretender . . . I am not sure. But, I can say that our record is already better than I thought it would be (Thank You Defense). Before the season began I predicted a 9-7 record due to the tough schedule and preponderance of 4:00 games etc . . Now, we've already exceeded my expectations going in. Our offense is even better than I thought - Sure we are no juggernaut . . . but with this o-line, I thought for sure we'd be worse. And the defense is WAY better than anticipated - Sure I knew we'd be good . . . but not this good.

Final conclusion . . .

'08 Steelers are for real and definitely contenders!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,316 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

They can call it luck if they want to but we found a way to win and we did our deffense stepped up and played some good football I don't call that luck.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Calling a time out, when Dallas ran on 1st down trying to get the game to OT is what lead to the INT. It forced Dallas to pass knowing we'd keep calling time outs to get them to punt to us and hopefully set up a game winning Field Goal Drive on a short field.

1:58 left to play ball at the Dallas 15. Shotgun formation, Run play, Choice gets 2 yards. Steelers call Time Out.

2nd and 8. Dallas Shotgun formation, Pass, INT.

Out Fcking Coached.
Tomlin............
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

We keep winning and that has nothing to do with luck. Now we just need to take care of business on Sunday.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
The next two weeks will be real challenges for the Steelers, as they face Baltimore and Tennessee, who are the second and third ranked defenses in the league.
And Baltimore and Tennessee are both going to face the #1 ranked defense in the league, so those games will be challenges for them, as well. BITE ME.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote