Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Tomlin addressed the team about keeping its eye on the prize.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

I love Tomlin and his attitude. Admittedly, I never played football...other than in the fields as a kid...but I know a great leader when I see one.

I love his passion for the team and how he is always looking at winning, team first, I'll use his words..."the level of expectation does not change"...when someone goes down to injury, and how enthusiastic he is.

One of the comments I have heard from Cowboy fans I live around is that they noticed how the team huddled together on the sideline...epecially the receivers with Ben, the O'line, the Defense, etc. They also commented on how much division was on their own sideline...with the yelling of T.O. and other things. To me, the togetherness of the team is a direct reflection of Tomlin.

I understand Willie's frustration. Some of us agree with him, some don't. What I think we all agree with is that we have a special team this season that could win it all...yes I said it....WIN IT ALL.

I was spoiled as a kid in the 70's with 4 SB titles in 6 years...I want to be spoiled again.

This team can win this...if we keep our eyes on the prize.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: Tomlin addressed the team about keeping its eye on the prize.

I'm a Tomlin Guy too. That was a great read, thanks BF!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
SteelCityKingsVP
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10901

We can We have and We WILL AGAIN!!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,939 Times in 1,653 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think Tomlin is going to be a good coach in the nfl you are always reading something good about him and I like the way he approaches the games.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
jdsdaguy
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6102

it took awhile for me to see what all the fuss was about. how everyone said you sit down with him for five minutes. i was very sceptically, but i really think this guy is the real deal.
jdsdaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #6
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083

The Steelers only hire guys they think will produce.

This is a long haul flight, and it's only touching down when the other hand is fully ringed up!
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

All that I ask if Tomlin has this team pumped up and ready to play hard nosed football this weekend. Only 2 more days!
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Excellent read - thanks
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

BATTLE PLANS: Ravens v. Steelers ~ December 12, 2008
http://www.ravens24x7.com/column_vie...7&view=archive
By Dev Panchwagh
( thescientist@profootball24x7.com )

Offense

1) Blocking the rush ends: When facing Pittsburgh, the primary objective of an offense is to protect the quarterback and pick up the blitz. To extend that point further, an offense must contain the blitzkrieg duo of James Harrison and Lamar Woodley at the outside spots.

As 3-4 outside backers, the two linebackers are essentially rush ends who can put their hands down and move past the outside shoulders of the tackles they face. If extra blockers are used to help the offensive tackles, then they will need to do an adequate job of slowing down either rusher before quarterback Joe Flacco gets rid of the ball. This is easier said than done, considering that the two backers are able to overpower smaller blockers.

Overall, if the Ravens are to have a viable passing attack against Pittsburgh, Woodley and Harrison cannot be as disruptive as they were when the two teams met earlier in the season.

2) Running from the spread: Running the ball successfully against the Steelers is a difficult task. The Ravens had some success piercing the Pittsburgh front seven in the Monday Night contest. They were able to run the ball well in the first half using power formations. But the running game tapered off in the second half when the Ravens had trouble sustaining offensive drives.

On Sunday, the Ravens may have a better chance of hitting on some running plays out of the shotgun spread formation. By spreading the formations, the Ravens could move defenders out of the box and open up gaps up the middle for the backs to crack through. In particular, rookie runner Ray Rice is effective on inside draws and delay runs. He could aid the Ravensí cause provided heís healthy enough to take the field.

The Ravens should employ these gap hitting rushes away from nose tackle Casey Hampton. In addition to operating from the shotgun spread, they should look to run the ball in situations when the Steelers expect the pass.

3) Pump and Go: Against the Steelers, it is nearly impossible to run a long-developing pass play. However, if the Baltimore offensive line is able to pick up the blitz, there will be opportunities to hit on a big play or two.

The Baltimore offense executed a perfect double move pattern against the Redskins last week, and if it runs an assortment of underneath curls and comeback routes, the double move could be in play again. Both Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason run such hard, in-cutting routes, that either player has the suddenness to break open on a second move over-the-top.

The key for hitting on another double move pattern against the Steelers will be moving a safety off of his landmark and again, giving the Flacco enough time to release the ball.

Defense

1) Zone scheme on third down: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has burned the Ravens so many times because when the blitz does not get home, Roethlisberger makes defenders pay. Specifically, if he is able to avoid the rush, Roethlisberger has been one of the best playmakers in the league, as a runner or a passer.

This is not to say that the Baltimore defense should not blitz Big Ben. The Steelers still struggle to pick up the blitz, especially off tackle. Moreover, the Ravens have had great success getting hits and sacks on Roethlisberger through the course of a game.

However, on third down, Baltimore will need to be careful. Roethlisberger made the right adjustments to defeat the Baltimore blitz in the first matchup. He was able to find the check downs and the slants over the middle, where the gaps were vacated by blitzing backers.

To get off the field on third down, the Ravens should attempt to play zone and rely more on their front four to compress the pocket.

2) Quick substitutions: When Pittsburgh got back into the Monday contest against the Ravens back in Week 3 they did so by running a hurry-up attack. That move sparked the Pittsburgh offense and it was able to get back into a rhythm.

It would not be a surprise to see the Steelers attempt to run more hurry-up drives against the Ravens on Sunday to keep the Baltimore substitutions to a minimum and to force the defense to stay in more conventional formations. In addition, Roethlisberger is very comfortable as the director of this hyper-speed chorus, even in a noisy environment like M&T Bank Stadium.

The defense will need to stay alert and ready to face the quick count.

3) No mental errors: Over the past few Sundays, the Ravens have proven themselves against stiffer competition because they have not succumbed to the careless errors that they committed at the beginning of the season.

Considering the tone of this game, it will be even more vital that the defensive players maintain their composure at all times. Any slight mistake could cost the team dearly. The defense will need to play hard, physical and fast, but more importantly, with discipline and intelligence.

One-on-one Matchup to Watch: James Harrison versus Jared Gaither: This proved to be a key matchup in favor of the Steelers in the first encounter. Since that game, the second-year offensive tackle has refined his technique and is more consistent overall. Gaither has the extension to keep Harrison from beating him off the edge, but Harrison has tremendous strength and uses his hands well.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Mr. T in THE MAN!

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote