Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Coach Tomlin not happy with Parker's comments

Quote:
Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin was not happy with comments made by two-time Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker, saying they could be misinterpreted as uninformed and selfish, and said he told Parker and all the players about it today in a team meeting.

"The issue for us has been, is and hopefully will continue to be winning -- that's my interpretation of Steelers football," Tomlin said. "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Parker said yesterday that the offense, which ranks 20th in the NFL in rushing, has gotten away from "Steelers football" and that the two-tight end offense used by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is not effective for running the ball.

Parker, who carried 12 times for 25 yards against the Dallas Cowboys, said opposing teams even know when and where the Steelers are going to run the ball.

"He needs to be a little more careful with things he says and how he says it because it can be misinterpreted as uninformed or selfish, of which he is neither," Tomlin said.

Asked how the two-tight end offense, which rarely employs a fullback, is performing, Tomlin said, "It was working pretty good last year when he was leading the league in rushing before he was hurt. It's not working as well right now. But we're in a better position than we were a year ago."

Parker was leading the NFL in rushing with 1,316 yards last season when he broke his leg in Week 15 in St. Louis. He also began this season with back-to-back 100-yard rushing performances before spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in Week 3 in Philadelphia -- an injury that caused him to miss four games and still limits his effectiveness.

"Do we need to get better in terms of running the football? Absolutely," Tomlin said. "And the reason is this -- because it increases our chances of winning.

"I talked to the football team. We're a 10-3 team trying to be an 11-3 team, and the issue and singular focus we should have is on winning."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08346...d=steelers.xml
Exactly what I was thinking. It could've been interpreted wrongly. Cuz we all know Parker is not a "Me-me-me" player like Moss or T.O.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: Coach Tomlin not happy with Parker's comments

"The issue for us has been, is and hopefully will continue to be winning -- that's my interpretation of Steelers football," Tomlin said. "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

AMEN COACH! Gotta love coach T!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The drafting of Mendenhall, the surge of Mewelde Moore, the comeuppance of Russell...

Parker....expendable?
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
bradness113
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1962

NO.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083

When Fast Willie gives a 1000 yd+ season next year, we'll all look back at this and chuckle, and thank whoever he was never sold.

He's still got the juice, and next season he'll prove it. He's had a shit year, with one thing or another, and he's frustrated. End of story.

The Media will probably hang on to this story and ring it dry till it bleeds, but meh.....They can go f**k themselves.
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts

Last edited by TeeJay; 12-11-2008 at 11:57 PM.
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
brick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The drafting of Mendenhall, the surge of Mewelde Moore, the comeuppance of Russell...

Parker....expendable?
no way. we play better all around when he's on the field and healthy
brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

people thought polamalu was washed up last year too. believe it or not injuries actually can have a negative effect on a player. that doesnt mean he is done.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
SteelCityKingsVP
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10901

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
people thought polamalu was washed up last year too. believe it or not injuries actually can have a negative effect on a player. that doesnt mean he is done.
I think you mean that injuries can actually have a POSITIVE affect on a player. If thats what you were trying to say my hats off to you and I couldnt agree more.

On a side note.....why cant people be this optimistic about quarterbacks?

Last edited by SteelCityKingsVP; 12-12-2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: misspelling
SteelCityKingsVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
Madhunter
Water Boy

Member Number: 10964

The running games all comes down to a pathetic Offensive Line. I don"t care who it was behind this line, they still couldn't be effective. And give up on Marvel Smith already he can' t stay healthy if his life depended on it.
Madhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #10
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
"Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."
Am I the only one who feels a burning desire within Mike Tomlin's heart to add to that collection? It's like this slow-match that will eventually turn into a giant flame.

I love Tomlin more and more. He's a great coach.

Concerning Parker, I think he just vented a little too much due to frustration about the horrible year he's had. He knows what Steelers football is, and he doesn't want to change it, he's just mad at himself.

The chip on his shoulder is growing larger folks. I agree with TeeJay that he'll come back strong next year.