Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Jim Wexell | Running back on the mark about Steelers’ ground game

Jim Wexell | Running back on the mark about Steelers’ ground game

By JIM WEXELL
For The Tribune-Democrat
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/spor...349001046.html
December 14, 2008 12:09 am

— Mike Tomlin was right on the mark when he inferred that Willie Parker’s complaints this week were informed.

The Steelers’ coach wasn’t happy that Parker complained about Bruce Arians’ tight end-heavy offense, but Tomlin knows Parker isn’t wrong about these facts concerning the run offense this season:

Two TEs/One back – 111-343, 3.1 yards per carry.

Three TEs/One back – 22-61, 2.8 yards per carry.

The numbers were gleaned after discarding QB scrambles and kneeldowns, as well as goal-line jumbo-package running plays.

So, running out of a one-back offense with two or three tight ends, the Steelers this season have carried 133 times for 404 yards at a paltry clip of 3.0 yards per carry.
Of course, Tomlin did publicly mock his hard-working, team-oriented running back by saying that Parker had not complained about the same offense when he was successful last year and early this year. But, again, Parker did not succeed without a fullback. Last year, with Dan Kreider on the roster, the Steelers’ fullbacks started 10 games.

This year, without Kreider, the Steelers’ fullbacks have started four games with their time decreasing each week.

In Parker’s best game this season, the opener against the Houston Texans, Parker averaged 6.0 yards per carry with a fullback on nine carries. In the 2TE/1RB set, he averaged 4.4 yards on nine carries. Also, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sustained his injured shoulder, an injury that’s affected his entire season, while attempting to throw out of the 2TE/1RB set.

Best running set: The study of the Steelers’ offensive run game produced one surprising statistic:

Three WRs/One RB – 121-564, 4.7 yards per carry.

This may not fit the Steelers’ storied tradition of physical offense, but it would seem to fit Parker’s body build and speed.

The Steelers have run out of this set 10 more times than any of their four other sets, by far their most productive numbers.

The Steelers used this set most often in the first game against the Ravens, but gained only 43 yards on 12 carries.

Against the Patriots – after which Tomlin mocked reporters who’d criticized his team’s run game – the Steelers had their most success of the season running out of 3WR/1RB sets, gaining 96 yards on 15 carries.

Why now?: Even those who agree with Parker say that this wasn’t the right time for him to speak out, that there’s nothing to be done right now.

Bologna.

In the second win over the Bengals, after the Steelers had struggled to run the ball 21 times for 95 yards – against an opponent they’ve tortured on the ground the past 15 years – the Steelers put fullback Sean McHugh on the field. He’d been picked up earlier in the year as Arians’ beloved third tight end, but as has been his history in pro, college and high school ball, the 6-foot-5, 265-pound McHugh found himself at fullback. And the Steelers cleaned up.

With the Bengals knowing Pittsburgh would run the ball, the Steelers powered their way to 30 yards on six carries to close out the game.

Did the Steelers finally find their fullback? After all, wasn’t McHugh the guy who a few weeks earlier had popped hated Ravens’ linebacker Bart Scott’s helmet off?

Well, apparently the Steelers had not found their fullback. After throwing excitement into players and coaches who’d been complaining – along with Parker – all season long about the offense, Tomlin refused to build from the Cincinnati game. He and Arians used a fullback – Heath Miller – in the backfield once against New England for a loss of 3 yards, and last week against Dallas, the Steelers ran behind a fullback only four times for 10 yards, thus completing our statistical findings on the fourth and fifth Steelers run sets:

Two TEs/two RBs – 51-192, 3.8 yards per carry.

One TE/two RBs – 28-101, 3.6 yards per carry.

And one more fact about the timing of Parker’s comments: They were made a week after Kreider had been released by the St. Louis Rams. Parker understands that the time to act is now, not March.

Jim Wexell is a freelance writer who covers the Steelers for The Tribune-Democrat.

Copyright © 1999-2008 cnhi, inc.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts
Default Re: Jim Wexell | Running back on the mark about Steelers’ ground game

Quote:
Two TEs/One back – 111-343, 3.1 yards per carry.

Three TEs/One back – 22-61, 2.8 yards per carry......

Best running set: The study of the Steelers’ offensive run game produced one surprising statistic:

Three WRs/One RB – 121-564, 4.7 yards per carry.
A difference of close to 2 yards per carry. THAT is significant.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Thanks for posting this. I had gotten it in my email, but couldn't read it.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

A difference of close to 2 yards per carry. THAT is significant.
Most definitely.

I've been advocating since last season for the 2 TE sets, but didn't realize how much it would adversely affect our running game and it obviously has. We need to get our running game established again as without it, I don't see us going very far in the playoffs.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Most definitely.

I've been advocating since last season for the 2 TE sets, but didn't realize how much it would adversely affect our running game and it obviously has. We need to get our running game established again as without it, I don't see us going very far in the playoffs.
It does seem that as our running game went south so has our whole offense.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

I dont understand. Wexel makes no reference to the O-line being absolutely terrible ?

With this 3WR ,1 RB set he describes....do the steelers somehow bring in GOOD offensive linemen as opposed to what we currenly have???
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I dont understand. Wexel makes no reference to the O-line being absolutely terrible ?

With this 3WR ,1 RB set he describes....do the steelers somehow bring in GOOD offensive linemen as opposed to what we currenly have???
What is strange is that other teams have taken a page from our playbook...built up their lines and drafted legitimate short yardage bruisers....

...while we have gotten away from tried and true, black and blue... Steeler Football.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

The key is to NOT let the defense know if it is run or pass.

When you come out on first down with an empty backfield you have given the D an edge! 1st they know its not run. 2nd there is no help with blitz pickup!

Now there has been a ton of talk about Arians being the problem with people on both sides of the fence.

I believe it is a combination of OC and O-line. The oline is not very good, but the OC has done very little to help that situation. The 1st down empty backfield for example, along with some very questionable playcalling on the goal line (NO BOOTLEGS?)!

It IS the players job to execute, but it is also the OCs job to adjust to his players strengths!

A successful formation in my opinion would be 2-WR 1-TE and 2-RBs.

The 2 backs would be split in the backfield while the TE is on the line or motioned out wide. Ben starts under center or can drop into shotgun. This package allows for uncertainty in the defense and also max protect if needed. You could also sub one RB with a TE. This package used in the hurry up would be successful because it offers unlimited play calling with run or pass and the ability to allow Ben to read the D and adjust the formation.

Granted, EVERYTHING comes down to Oline play. But why be predictable on Offense? Why not help out the Oline with some RBs in the backfield and a no huddle offense?

What it boils down to is that the Steeler Offense may be the ONLY offense that can beat the Steelers Defense! And that sucks an old mans marble pouch!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Exactly.

OF COURSE the running game is not up to par, when your O-line is your weakest link and you're down to one healthy RB for half a season.

OF COURSE Wexell omits this - he's a titstick.
Smashmouth is dead - get over it.

Ben has to put up points somehow, I fear for his health every game.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post
When you come out on first down with an empty backfield you have given the D an edge! 1st they know its not run. 2nd there is no help with blitz pickup!
That is one way to look at it. The other is that if you come out on 1st down and normally run a single back, then split him out as a WR......chances are that you have caught the Defense with their run defense and only 4DB's against a spread passing formation. ADVANTAGE OFFENSE!

You are absolutely correct that you have no blitz pickup, but if you then have Holmes, Ward, Moore, Miller, available to run a pattern and keep Spaeth into block.....then you just isolated Miller and Moore on LB's in a cover 2 defense. There is method to the madness.

Its the opposite philosophy as bringing in 4 WR's( or 3WR and a TE in Miller), spreading out the defense(probably playing a dime) and then running the ball, which is probably what is mostly averaging that 4.7 yards that Wexell refers to in his article.

The real question is when it is 3rd and a long yard, the defense knows what you have to do and you cant do it out of a 3TE,1RB set.....how do you expect to keep moving the chains?
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote