Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default I still want a Bruiser at Running Back

I like Willie. I like MeMo. I like Russell. From what I have seen, I like Mendenhall.

Admittedly, I really liked what I see in McClain. No, I am not saying I would want McClain to be our starter, but a back like that on the Steelers would sure do wonders for our offense.

I didn't see Mendenhall play in college. The only exposure I have of him is what I have seen with us.

I like the more open offense, but I also miss the 3rd and 1...with no worries of getting that yard.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: I still want a Bruiser at Running Back

I thought Willie had a great game today. He did break Ray Ray's tackle in the hole and had quite a few really good runs today.

But I wouldn't mind Steven Jackson from the Rams. Yep, I still got a man crush on that monster. He'd look really nice in Black and Gold on a 3rd and 1.

Of coarse, how about our guys fight for that extra yard on 2nd down. You know, to prevent the 3rd and 1 to begin with.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Member Number: 10612

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I like Willie. I like MeMo. I like Russell. From what I have seen, I like Mendenhall.

Admittedly, I really liked what I see in McClain. No, I am not saying I would want McClain to be our starter, but a back like that on the Steelers would sure do wonders for our offense.

I didn't see Mendenhall play in college. The only exposure I have of him is what I have seen with us.

I like the more open offense, but I also miss the 3rd and 1...with no worries of getting that yard.
We need the big back or at least a reliable fullback for short-yardage situations. It used to be an automatic first down, now it's an automatic punt or interception. Did anyone see CBS put up that nifty stat just before the Roethlisberger fumble? We have the worst 3rd and 1 conversion% in the NFL.

The greater problem is the inconsistent commitment to the rush in general.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

This is unproven, and many people are already saying he isn't that kind of back... But trust me - I saw Mendenhall play at Illinois, and all the guy does is straight up hammer the ball over and over and over, relentlessly.

Before he got hurt, he was starting to get on a roll against the Ravens. He can pound it and you'll see that next year.

I totally agree, I can't wait until we get back to power football in certain situations. And I think its coming!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
This is unproven, and many people are already saying he isn't that kind of back... But trust me - I saw Mendenhall play at Illinois, and all the guy does is straight up hammer the ball over and over and over, relentlessly.

Before he got hurt, he was starting to get on a roll against the Ravens. He can pound it and you'll see that next year.

I totally agree, I can't wait until we get back to power football in certain situations. And I think its coming!
I wouldn't dream of arguing until I see him. I didn't see Mendenhall enough to pass judgement. I hope he is the answer though. I just know a lone Parker won't cut it.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251

Bettis is a hall of fame RB, those guys don't come around very often. I too would love to have a guy you could absolutely count on in those situations. In my opinion it all starts up front, and until we fix that problem it won't matter who we have in the backfield. I hope that next season we can address this glaring need and get back to our bread and butter-Power football.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

if we got jackson "which would be cool to see him in black and gold" but he'll have to be the number 1 guy.. and we alrdy have too many of those types of backs

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SteelersFan View Post
I wouldn't dream of arguing until I see him. I didn't see Mendenhall enough to pass judgement. I hope he is the answer though. I just know a lone Parker won't cut it.
On that you are absolutely right.

I have been arguing for a back rotation for a long time... featured backs just don't seem to make it anymore. I also would LOVE to have a fast back with a big back compliment... and think we have it with mende.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
On that you are absolutely right.

I have been arguing for a back rotation for a long time... featured backs just don't seem to make it anymore. I also would LOVE to have a fast back with a big back compliment... and think we have it with mende.
Thunder and lightning RB combo has usually been successful. I hope Mendenhall can be the thunder to Parker's lightning.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #10
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Folks, we need LenDale White!