Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,099
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 1,848
Thanked 5,827 Times in 2,693 Posts
Default Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

Interesting article in Post-Gazette Black & Gold Insider by Ed B. of the Post-Gazette today regarding Cowher remaining in a snit about discussions on Ben's thumb.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05349/622751.asp

Without repeating the entire article, key points were that:

"In a way, Cowher is throwing another quarterback under the bus by making it out to appear that this is such a minor injury that it should not even be mentioned. Full disclosure. As you may see by a story I wrote that's in Thursday's Post-Gazette, the thumb has a tendon or ligament strain with a sliver of bone chipped off. Where's the mystery or intrigue? Why could the Steelers have not just said that It's not as if an opponent can gain an advantage from that knowledge because they already know that Roethlisberger's thumb hurts him.

I'm starting to wonder about Cowher's relationships with his quarterbacks. He does not seem to support them the way he has supported other players on his team. Kordell Stewart was a prime example.

I do believe that Roethlsiberger rubs Cowher the wrong way. Maybe it's his youth or self-confidence, or maybe it's the fact that Roethlisberger does not bow to all of his coach's wishes (such as the motorcycle helmet issue). It was very telling in January when Cowher had such a strong reaction to Ben saying he broke three toes in the AFC title game against New England. Cowher vehemently denied they were broken. What was the big deal? The season was over. Cowher could have just shrugged and said he did not believe they were broken, but it was no big deal. Instead, he acted as if his quarterback had just hand delivered the game plan to the enemy."



To me, the Ben/Cowher relationship is strained because Cowher potentially will, for the first time since he arrived as coach in 1992, no longer be the center of attention for the Pittsburgh Steelers (e.g. - "It's Bill Cowher & the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday Night Football!"). Belichek and Brady both appear to have checked their egos at the door to win Super Bowls, Tony Dungy appears comfortable in letting Peyton Manning be the star of the show, and Carson Palmer is working with a head coach who is as new to his job as Palmer is to being a QB in the NFL.

However, for the first time in his 14 year tenure as head coach, Cowher has a franchise QB to work with and those types (unlike simply great players at other positions like Bettis, Dermonnti Dawson & Rod Woodson) have a lot more clout than any other player. Cowher has never appeared to be good at sharing, but he better work it out with Ben or the Steelers management may work it out for him if the Steelers still have not won a Super Bowl when Ben comes up for free agency in a few years and wants a style of play & coaching more to his liking.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter
 
BB2W's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Your Mom's
Posts: 2,685
Gender: Male
Member Number: 328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
I do believe that Roethlsiberger rubs Cowher the wrong way.
I get the same feeling sometimes...

I have not liked all of my coworkers, but we got the job done.
__________________
BB2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dale City, Virginia.
Posts: 1,793
Gender: Male
Member Number: 604
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

I remember hearing a quote from Johnny Unitas that went something like:

"A good Quarterback needs to know when to tell the head coach to go to Hell".

If it should come to it I hope Ben knows when to tell Bill to "Piss Off" concerning issues both on and off the field.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
TexaSteeler
Bench Warmer
 
TexaSteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 331
Member Number: 896
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

Wow, good article. Explains a lot. Especially why he clung to a dud like Kordell. Forgive me guys, but I boycotted the Steelers in '00 and '01 because of him. I couldn't handle it. I still kind of hold a grudge against Cowher for that.

So we got Ben, are we going to keep him? You know in the NBA all-stars can get their coaches fired. We can only hope.
TexaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
Koopa
Living Legend
 
Koopa's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Coast Born, That Mean I'm Texas Raised
Posts: 3,439
Gender: Male
Member Number: 508
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

well cowher better not be rubbing big ben the wrong way when it comes time to resign him or we can say bye bye to the best thing that has happened to us in a long long time. and i would like to see ben tell cowher to go to hell that would be funny
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:12 PM   #6
StillerPaul
Draft Prospect
 
StillerPaul's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH AKA Behind enemy lines
Posts: 133
Member Number: 821
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Interesting article in Post-Gazette Black & Gold Insider by Ed B. of the Post-Gazette today regarding Cowher remaining in a snit about discussions on Ben's thumb.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05349/622751.asp

Without repeating the entire article, key points were that:

"In a way, Cowher is throwing another quarterback under the bus by making it out to appear that this is such a minor injury that it should not even be mentioned. Full disclosure. As you may see by a story I wrote that's in Thursday's Post-Gazette, the thumb has a tendon or ligament strain with a sliver of bone chipped off. Where's the mystery or intrigue? Why could the Steelers have not just said that It's not as if an opponent can gain an advantage from that knowledge because they already know that Roethlisberger's thumb hurts him.

I'm starting to wonder about Cowher's relationships with his quarterbacks. He does not seem to support them the way he has supported other players on his team. Kordell Stewart was a prime example.

I do believe that Roethlsiberger rubs Cowher the wrong way. Maybe it's his youth or self-confidence, or maybe it's the fact that Roethlisberger does not bow to all of his coach's wishes (such as the motorcycle helmet issue). It was very telling in January when Cowher had such a strong reaction to Ben saying he broke three toes in the AFC title game against New England. Cowher vehemently denied they were broken. What was the big deal? The season was over. Cowher could have just shrugged and said he did not believe they were broken, but it was no big deal. Instead, he acted as if his quarterback had just hand delivered the game plan to the enemy."



To me, the Ben/Cowher relationship is strained because Cowher potentially will, for the first time since he arrived as coach in 1992, no longer be the center of attention for the Pittsburgh Steelers (e.g. - "It's Bill Cowher & the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday Night Football!"). Belichek and Brady both appear to have checked their egos at the door to win Super Bowls, Tony Dungy appears comfortable in letting Peyton Manning be the star of the show, and Carson Palmer is working with a head coach who is as new to his job as Palmer is to being a QB in the NFL.

However, for the first time in his 14 year tenure as head coach, Cowher has a franchise QB to work with and those types (unlike simply great players at other positions like Bettis, Dermonnti Dawson & Rod Woodson) have a lot more clout than any other player. Cowher has never appeared to be good at sharing, but he better work it out with Ben or the Steelers management may work it out for him if the Steelers still have not won a Super Bowl when Ben comes up for free agency in a few years and wants a style of play & coaching more to his liking.
AD can i share this with my Steeler fan friends at SR? Is that entire post from the article?
__________________
In Ben we trust
StillerPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:16 AM   #7
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,701
Gender: Male
Member Number: 618
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

When Bens contract is up in a few years. the steelers better sign him to a long ass deal. Ben needs to retire as a steeler....and i agree.....Ben takes the steelers away from cowher.
But then again.......since last year and until ben retires.........its bens team.noone elses.....step aside cowher.....
__________________
Change Has Come To America
BIGBENFASTWILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:26 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,099
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 1,848
Thanked 5,827 Times in 2,693 Posts
Default Re: Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillerPaul
AD can i share this with my Steeler fan friends at SR? Is that entire post from the article?
Stiller Paul

The entire article can be accessed through the link at the top of my post. I do not post full articles from BGI in that it is a paid site and the P-G presumably, although I doubt that it would do so, could argue reposting an entire article is a violation of fair use of copyrighted material.

The quoted excerpt which I clearly attribute to the P-G is the crux of the article and can be retransmitted as you see fit as far as I am concerned. If the link to the entire article works, then the P-G presumably does not care who accesses the whole article and retransmits it. If I get sued maybe I can ask the Forum members to contribute to my legal defense fund :)

For what it is worth, I have e-mailed Ed B. and asked him to consider writing an article for the dead trees version of the P-G, which could be accessed through the public P-G web site, which develops his views on the Ben-Cowher relationship and would include views (anonymous or otherwise) of the players on Ben's interactions with coaches and teammates.

Ben appears to have strained relationships with Cowher and at least some teammates. I believe the major issue the Steelers will have over the next several years is how their first franchise QB since Bradshaw fits into a team on which Ben is not surrounded by the number of stars on the '70s Steelers team that kept that team from becoming the Terry Bradshaw show. The real fireworks will come when Ben will need to decide if he will be like Tom Brady and leave some $$$ on the table in order that the Steelers can pay for other players or whether he will go the Peyton Manning/Michael Vick route and grab for every $ he can get. Given the problems that occurred in the Hines Ward negotiations, that may not be a pleasant process.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:25 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,155
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,488
Thanked 6,227 Times in 2,679 Posts
Default Re: Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

i dont see from cowher that he is a media hog or would be jealous of not being the main attraction in pittsburgh. and i think hes rather low key for being the longest tenured coach, and for as many coaches he has tutored, and all his success (and failures).

as for the helmet incident i think cowher talked to ben like a concerned father would. thats the impression i got.

as for cowher falling in love with kordell, i think that was seen as a sign of weakness and the coach has probably learned from that. he sort of got burnt. its probably a concentrated effort by him now to not show that much emotion for a certain player. i think he cares for and definitely respects all his players, but you notice since kordell he doesnt favor any or even pump any of their heads up to much. he doesnt slobber over any of his players. even the great ones. t. polamalu, hines ward, jerome, h. miller, faneca, porter, gildon, ben, etc. which one is his favorite? hes very good at keeping everything focused on the team as a whole.

ben and cowher will be fine and will have a strong relationship. anyone thinks ben didnt appreciate cowher oppenning up the offense for him with a bad thumb, one week after the beatdown in indy? i think theres mutual trust there and cowher is too smart not to know what he has in ben.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #10
StillerPaul
Draft Prospect
 
StillerPaul's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH AKA Behind enemy lines
Posts: 133
Member Number: 821
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Stiller Paul

The entire article can be accessed through the link at the top of my post. I do not post full articles from BGI in that it is a paid site and the P-G presumably, although I doubt that it would do so, could argue reposting an entire article is a violation of fair use of copyrighted material.

The quoted excerpt which I clearly attribute to the P-G is the crux of the article and can be retransmitted as you see fit as far as I am concerned. If the link to the entire article works, then the P-G presumably does not care who accesses the whole article and retransmits it. If I get sued maybe I can ask the Forum members to contribute to my legal defense fund :)

For what it is worth, I have e-mailed Ed B. and asked him to consider writing an article for the dead trees version of the P-G, which could be accessed through the public P-G web site, which develops his views on the Ben-Cowher relationship and would include views (anonymous or otherwise) of the players on Ben's interactions with coaches and teammates.

Ben appears to have strained relationships with Cowher and at least some teammates. I believe the major issue the Steelers will have over the next several years is how their first franchise QB since Bradshaw fits into a team on which Ben is not surrounded by the number of stars on the '70s Steelers team that kept that team from becoming the Terry Bradshaw show. The real fireworks will come when Ben will need to decide if he will be like Tom Brady and leave some $$$ on the table in order that the Steelers can pay for other players or whether he will go the Peyton Manning/Michael Vick route and grab for every $ he can get. Given the problems that occurred in the Hines Ward negotiations, that may not be a pleasant process.

Oh, when i try to open the link it say's i have to be a member. I'm assuming i'd have to pay so i choose not to register in that case. Well thank you very much, i'll just share your views on the matter if it's all good by you. I happen to be very intrigued by this as we have had this kind of situation happen between Noll and Bradshaw back in the 70's. I wonder if that plays into his opinion at all.
__________________
In Ben we trust
StillerPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts