Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-16-2005, 02:18 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,240 Times in 3,248 Posts
Default Re: Ben's Thumb & Cowher's Power

Stiller Paul

As I said, the verbatim guts of the story are in the quoted part of my first post. Feel free to pass those quotes from Ed B. along to whomever.

I think Ed.B. has hit on something that will determine how this franchise goes in the next several years.

Sometimes coaches and big time QBs get along (Marino/Shula) and sometimes not (Marino/Johnson & Reeves/Elway). Unless Super Bowls are being won, someone usually leaves town in the latter situation.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 12-16-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:32 PM   #12
StillerPaul
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 821

Gotcha, AD. Man, that is a touchy subject. I think Ben will be happy as long as we keep adequate weapons around him and he feels he's allowed to grow as a QB. I gotta agree that i see him standing up for himself and the passing game in the future. But i just can't see coach Cowher holding him back.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM   #13
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

How exactly Atlanta Dan does Big Ben Rub Him The Wrong Way.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #14
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I think as long as we having winning season, All will be fine here. I hope and pray!
Old 12-16-2005, 04:50 PM   #15
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

Did Ben really break three toes in the AFCC game? No! So why wouldn't Cowher have such a strong reaction? It wasn't true!

BC the center of attention? Nobody wears jersey's with the name 'Cowher' on the back. Bettis and Ward have been getting the attention in Pittsburgh for a very long time.

People who don't like Cowher at least should be fair.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786
How exactly Atlanta Dan does Big Ben Rub Him The Wrong Way.

The portion of the post that is in quotes (that part that begins and ends with a ") are not my opinions, they are the opinions of Bouchette from the P-G. After the second " there are several spaces and then I post my take, which begins with this statement - To me, the Ben/Cowher relationship is strained because ....

Bouchette says Ben rubs Cowher the wrong way, not me. I happen to agree with Ed.B. on this (Rookie Ben travels to NYC to go on Letterman during a non-bye week last year/Ben says he "breaks" his toes in the AFC championship/Ben rides his motorcycle without a helmet/Ben talks about his thumb and Cowher gets ticked off).

If you want to ask Ed.B. the basis for his opinion on Ben rubbing Cowher the wrong way, you can send him an e-mail at ebouchette@post-gazette.com

Sorry if I have confused anyone
Old 12-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook
Did Ben really break three toes in the AFCC game? No! So why wouldn't Cowher have such a strong reaction? It wasn't true!

BC the center of attention? Nobody wears jersey's with the name 'Cowher' on the back. Bettis and Ward have been getting the attention in Pittsburgh for a very long time.

People who don't like Cowher at least should be fair.
I happen to like Cowher. However, who gets more sideline shots than Cowher during a game due to The Jaw hopefully spraying spit or otherwise going bats**t? What coach other than Cowher created a more memorable sideline shot in the last 10 years than when Cowher appeared to be thinking about tackling the Jax player who blocked the FG and ran it back at the end of the Monday night game in 1996? For that matter what other current coach other than Parcells (The Tuna - another coach who wants to be The Man on every team he has coached) has been given a nickname by the news media? I happen to enjoy all that, but it still results in Cowher being more of the face of a NFL team than most head coaches and it certainly appears he does not hide from the spotlight.

Because he came in when the Steelers neeeded a boost of energy in 1992, Cowher has been the main face of the Steelers since he arrived - Cowher got into a power struggle with Donahoe in the late 1990s and won it - Cowher insists that he be the only person who discusses injuries - Cowher wants to be (not without justification) The Man.

Is Cowher the only control freak who is a head coach in the NFL - no.

However, Cowher for the first time in his career has a hotshot young stud QB who is not taking any s**t from anyone, including the head coach (you want me to quit riding my motorcycle without a helmet and you want to go public about telling me to quit riding my motorcycle without a helmet? - screw you Coach)

I personally believe Cowher is still working through the fact there may be a new sheriff in town and it is not The Jaw.