Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default No Dispute: Steelers Could End Up No. 1 in AFC

Quote:
PITTSBURGH (AP) -There is no disputing this: If the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Titans on Sunday and the rival Browns the following weekend, they will own home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs.

Even if they lose to the Titans and/or Browns, they will be the No. 2-seeded team and would travel during the AFC playoffs only if they met Tennessee (12-2) for the conference championship.

In either case, the NFL won't need to go to replay or its ever-thickening rulebook to make the call. Even if every Steelers game seems to be ending this way as the season winds down.

"I know we've been in a bunch of these (tight) games and we found a way to see our way out of some of them," coach Mike Tomlin said.

Four weeks after losing a touchdown - but not the game - when the officials incorrectly stripped a defensive score from Troy Polamalu, the Steelers (11-3) benefited from a disputed ruling Sunday while beating Baltimore 13-9 for the AFC North title.

Santonio Holmes didn't initially appear to have gotten the ball to the goal line after catching Ben Roethlisberger's last-minute pass, but referee Walt Coleman reversed the call and awarded the touchdown upon review.

Coleman, the referee who made the famous Tom Brady "tuck rule" call during a Raiders-Patriots playoff game in January 2002, decided the ball touched the goal line while Holmes was in possession.

The Ravens, of course, thought the ball came up short - as was initially ruled. If that call had stood, the Steelers would have faced a tough choice: go for the win on fourth-and-inches against the NFL's No. 2 defense or kick the tying field goal.

Unlike the taken-away Polamalu touchdown, the NFL backed its officials Monday and decided they made the right call.

"(NFL officiating chief) Mike Pereira supports the call," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday in an e-mail. "He sees the same thing Walt Coleman sees."

Coach Mike Tomlin had the offense huddled around him as Coleman watched the replay, an indication the Steelers would have gone for it on fourth down. Afterward, neither Tomlin nor Roethlisberger would say for certain.

Not that it was certain the Steelers would have scored on fourth-and-inches, given how Mewelde Moore (twice) and Gary Russell (once) recently were stopped on fourth-and-1 gambles.

An interesting twist: The Titans might have had a two-game conference lead with two games to play if they had chosen to kick a winning 49-yard field goal as time wound down Sunday in Houston. Instead, coach Jeff Fisher decided the kick was out of Rob Bironas' range and they went for it on fourth-and-3. Kerry Collins overthrew Justin McCareins and Tennessee lost 13-12.

But for a couple of inches - and, in the Titans' case, but for 9 feet - Tennessee is in position to lose home-field edge. And the Steelers, rather then being tied for the AFC North lead with Baltimore, might end up not having to leave Pittsburgh until the Super Bowl.

Not that Tomlin is looking that far ahead, especially given how many tight games the Steelers are playing: beating the Chargers by one, Baltimore by four, Dallas by seven - all in the last couple of minutes - and losing to the Giants by seven and the Colts by four.

"There were several reasons and instances where the faint of heart would have let go of the rope," Tomlin said. "They (the Steelers) didn't. ... Tennessee is next, so we'll prepare for that. We'll go play that one. Not thinking about things too deeply, truth be known. When you're running the gantlet that we've had to run from a schedule standpoint, looking at it any other way is not helpful."

Should the Steelers win at Tennessee and wind up being top-seeded, they can only hope they defend that home-field advantage better than they have in the past.

When Bill Cowher was coach, the Steelers repeatedly squandered that edge, losing AFC championship games in Pittsburgh during the 1994 (Chargers), 1997 (Broncos), 2001 (Patriots) and 2004 (Patriots) seasons. They also lost to Buffalo in a divisional-round game during the 1992 season when they also could have stayed at home throughout the playoffs.

The last six times they owned home-field advantage throughout the conference playoffs, they reached the Super Bowl only once.

"We would love to have that No. 1 spot, and try to get the easiest path there," Hines Ward said. "But in the AFC, I don't think there is any easy way."

Maybe that's one reason why the Steelers briefly put on AFC North championship hats on Sunday night, but quickly put them away.

"You won't see any of us wearing this hat Tuesday, because it's time to bear down and finish this thing off," Roethlisberger said.

http://sports.excite.com/news/12152008/v8055.html
To be honest, and I'm sorry that I'm actually saying this, but I'd rather we don't become a #1 seed. Cuz I believe we'd play better when we play as a visiting team.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,409 Posts
Default Re: No Dispute: Steelers Could End Up No. 1 in AFC

i hate all the afcc game losses under cowher, but i will still take homefield advantage any day of the week.

when it comes to big dog vs. underdog the big dog usually comes out on top.

i wanna see tomlin make his own legacy, not live in fear of cowher's.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Avoid Lloyd95
Water Boy

Member Number: 11048

I know where you're coming from, we have played our best ball on the road this year IMO.

I think the 2 seed would really be perfect for us, but want to see momemtum keep going in the last two games

The thing that really hacks me off is our crowd. So many times the games are starting and I can see yellow seats, the start of the 3rd quarter is the worst, except for the cowboys game....
Avoid Lloyd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2703

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Well said. It's time to re-ignite the fear that teams once had when they had to come to Pittsburgh for a playoff game.
bratsinmybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoid Lloyd95 View Post

The thing that really hacks me off is our crowd. So many times the games are starting and I can see yellow seats, the start of the 3rd quarter is the worst, except for the cowboys game....

everyone is in the pisser or standing in line for a beer/food run.

thats all.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
i hate all the afcc game losses under cowher, but i will still take homefield advantage any day of the week.

Man Toney, I have agreed 100% with every post you have made so far today. Now that Obama has won...Can we be friends? lol...

P.S.

Not a highjack attempt..
Old 12-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:

But don't we just love being underdogs? We play the best when we're underdogs, besides it means less attention from the stupid media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwall View Post
Man Toney, I have agreed 100% with every post you have made so far today. Now that Obama has won...Can we be friends? lol...

P.S.

Not a highjack attempt..
Yes, it is a thread highjacking attempt. You guys should take your 's & 's somewhere else.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersMongol View Post

Yes, it is a thread highjacking attempt. You guys should take your 's & 's somewhere else.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Tomlin has one Home playoff loss. Time to end that streak too

Keep that thread bumped tony

At home or away, Tomlin's team will be dangerous
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:42 AM   #10
SteelCityKingsVP
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10901

Quote:

EXACTLY! Tomlin has tot make his own legacy. It seems to me that everyone still in a way thinks that the Steelers are still coached by Cowher. They're not. Like you said I'll take home field over not any day.