Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Will you forgive an American Taliban in time for Christmas?

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The man dubbed the "Taliban American" is asking the president to commute the remaining years of his federal prison sentence, according to a statement released by his attorneys Wednesday.

John Walker Lindh is hoping that President Bush will commute the rest of his 20-year sentence.

John Walker Lindh, a 27-year-old Californian, has served seven years of a 20-year sentence after being captured in Afghanistan in 2001.

He joined the Taliban to fight in the country's civil war one month before the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan, according to the statement.

He originally was indicted on 10 charges, including conspiring to kill American citizens, but the U.S. Justice Department dismissed terrorism-related charges in 2002.

Lindh pleaded guilty to serving in the Taliban army and carrying weapons while fighting the U.S.-backed Northern Alliance. Along with the plea, he signed a gag order that prevented him from doing interviews.

His lawyers say Lindh never fought against American forces and received a harsher sentence because sentencing occurred after the September 11, 2001, attacks in New York, Washington and rural Pennsylvania.

Lindh's attorneys say he arrived in Afghanistan on September 6, 2001.

At a news conference Wednesday in San Francisco, California, Lindh's parents called on President Bush to show mercy for their son.

"This is the Christmas season, and it's a time for mercy," said Lindh's mother, Marilyn Walker.

His father, Frank Lindh, said his son, who grew up in California and converted to Islam as a teenager, "is a Muslim. He will always, I think, be a Muslim."

His parents repeated their contention that Lindh went abroad to study Islam, found himself in Afghanistan in a civil war and joined the Taliban with no intent to support terrorism or fight against his homeland. They believe that the post-September 11 charges of terrorism, which were subsequently dismissed, spurred public reaction against Lindh that resulted in the 20-year sentence.

"Our son never fought against American forces," his mother said. "He did not participate in terrorist activities of any kind. ... John made a mistake in joining the Afghan army at a time when their government was controlled by the Taliban. He has admitted that this was a mistake."

Lindh's attorneys said he is at a medium-security prison in Terre Haute, Indiana.

The elder Lindh said his son has been treated "very humanely" in the federal prison system.

"Quietly and in a good way, he has served his seven years," Frank Lindh said. "No matter what your perspective on this case, we think everyone should agree that seven years is enough."

Lindh's attorneys said that previous commutation appeals to the Bush administration have gone unanswered, but his father said Lindh's family holds out hope that Bush will act before leaving office.

"All of these events occurred while President Bush was in office," Frank Lindh said. "This is on his plate. I'd like to think we'll get a response from President Bush this time."

Appearing before a U.S. district judge in 2002, Lindh said he "made a mistake by joining the Taliban" and "had I realized then what I know now about the Taliban, I would never have joined them."

"Life is making choices and living with the consequences," U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis told Lindh during the sentencing. "You made a bad choice to join the Taliban."

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12...ndh/index.html
What would you do, say if you were in the President's shoes?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225
Default Re: Will you forgive an American Taliban in time for Christmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersMongol View Post
What would you do, say if you were in the President's shoes?
Do the crime do the time.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Let him rot.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

See ya when you're 40, and just be glad your body parts aren't scattered all over the Afghan mountains.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,762 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote:
"Life is making choices and living with the consequences,"
Get used to your 6x6 room, your gonna be there for a while.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Isn't this the Same George Bush that let that ax murdering Woman in Texas fry even after she turned Holy Christian in prison and every priest and religious person in the country was asking him to commute her sentence.

I swear to God if he commutes this effing moslim terrorist turncoat's sentence after letting that chick burn (rightfully so by the way) Its all out Mother Effing war an ALL POLITICIANS!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
See ya when you're 40, and just be glad your body parts aren't scattered all over the Afghan mountains.
I agree. He can rot in that cell for another 13 years. He made his bed, now he has to lay in it. He could have been a practicing peaceful muslim and joined our military.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,163 Times in 429 Posts

If it were up to me, this scumbag would have gotten the firing squad, not a prison sentence. He should feel fortunate he only got 20 years of prison time, IMO.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
If it were up to me, this scumbag would have gotten the firing squad, not a prison sentence. He should feel fortunate he only got 20 years of prison time, IMO.
Amen to that..he got off lightly, and is dam lucky to have not been treated far, far worse...
Old 12-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

he can rot in hell as far as i am concerned.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote