Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Heinz Field capacity

I just discovered that Heinz Field, which I never considered a great stadium, is 25th in terms of capacity with 65,050 seats. The largest is FedEx in DC with 91,700 seats and the smallest is the new Soldier's Field in Chicago with 61,500 seats, only 3,500 less than HF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eague_stadiums

Considering the fact that the Steelers have one of the largest fan base in the country, if not the largest, and the fact that the waiting list for season tickets is around 25 years (I'm optimistic), I wonder why the Rooneys didn't build a bigger stadium from the beginning.

Have you heard of any plan to increase the capacity of Heinz Field?

Just curious.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Heinz Field capacity

I think two years ago there was talk about closing in the south end but it was more of a rumor than anything as there were no links or story lines in the local paper to colloborate the rumor.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
I just discovered that Heinz Field, which I never considered a great stadium, is 25th in terms of capacity with 65,050 seats. The largest is FedEx in DC with 91,700 seats and the smallest is the new Soldier's Field in Chicago with 61,500 seats, only 3,500 less than HF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eague_stadiums

Considering the fact that the Steelers have one of the largest fan base in the country, if not the largest, and the fact that the waiting list for season tickets is around 25 years (I'm optimistic), I wonder why the Rooneys didn't build a bigger stadium from the beginning.

Have you heard of any plan to increase the capacity of Heinz Field?

Just curious.
They wanted to keep the price tag as low as possible so that they'd have a better chance of getting the public financing they asked for. An 80,000-90,000 seat stadium would have likely pushed the project over $350 million, which would have been tough for the public to swallow since they had just rejected a proposal to raise the county RAD tax from 1% to 1.5% to help pay for it. It's also ironic in that the Penguins' new arena is going to cost $321 million - if they built that same stadium for the Steelers now, it would cost well over $400 million.

As of right now, there are no plans to increase the capacity, though I wish they would. Despite the cost, they should have built at least an 80,000 seat stadium back then to allow more fans to go to games - it's just too small.

Where I think they screwed up was spending $325 million on the new convention center, which has been a total flameout since it's been open. It hasn't delivered anything close to the promises they made when it was first proposed - in fact, I can't remember it ever drawing a major convention outside of the All-Star Fan Fest in 2006. The thing sits empty more often than not, and has already experienced several major structural problems. A complete waste of money that could have been used to build a larger Heinz Field.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

I noticed that too when I went there, but it sure as hell doesnt feel like a 65000 stadium. That stadium gets loud and the opposing teams feel it, hell the crowd makes noise when the other team is doing practice plays. But I think the design of the South end sacrificed a lot of seats., but the desing of the stadium is beautiful, so I guess design outmatched capacity. I seriously think though that if the stadium were to have 10000 additional seats then they would sell out like hot cakes.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8498

I was a little bummed at the time when they didn't make it big, b/c I had already been on the waitlist a few years at that point....

I was on a tour there in 2002, and they said something about maybe filling in the gap between the north endzone seats & the sides... but that never came to fruition either....

Oh well... it still is a nice stadium, not as loud as TRS, but much nicer.

Mel

100% Certified Grade-A SteelerChick
TailgateMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

its probably going to stay the way it is now until a new stadium is built.. you really never hear of nfl stadiums adding seats or making significant structural changes. thats more of a college football thing.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateMel View Post
I was a little bummed at the time when they didn't make it big, b/c I had already been on the waitlist a few years at that point....

I was on a tour there in 2002, and they said something about maybe filling in the gap between the north endzone seats & the sides... but that never came to fruition either....

Oh well... it still is a nice stadium, not as loud as TRS, but much nicer.

Mel
Closing the gaps on both sides of the North endzone (and cover it!) would be nice but I don't think this would add too many seats. Closing the South endzone would be a much better option. The idea of leaving it open to have a nice view of downtown would be fine if the stadium was larger, but between a nice view and 10,000 more seats, I'll take the additional seats anyday and I'm pretty sure the majority of the fans would do too.

As for the Convention Center, don't get me started!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

They should have built a palace for the Steelers and told the Pirates to take a hike and not have built PNC Park for that fraudulent organization.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

I have often wondered why the didnt close off the Gaps on the North side and make like a Horsehoe bowl. I do love the open end of the stadium with the view of Downtown, but closing off the North end would probably have added say 3 to 4,000 seats ?
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post
I have often wondered why the didnt close off the Gaps on the North side and make like a Horsehoe bowl. I do love the open end of the stadium with the view of Downtown, but closing off the North end would probably have added say 3 to 4,000 seats ?
Yep. The North side looks unfinished with the 2 gaps and no protection. Have you sat there when it rains or snows? I did and I don't look forward to doing it again.