Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Notebook: Bailey selected as team's top rookie

Steelers Notebook: Bailey selected as team's top rookie
Thursday, December 18, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08353...d=steelers.xml

Voters faced a difficult task this year when trying to pick the Steelers' rookie of the year.

There was little production from their draft class. Top pick Rashard Mendenhall was knocked out for the season in the fourth game. No. 2 pick Limas Sweed has only six catches. No. 3 Bruce Davis has barely played, No. 4 Tony Hills and No. 5 Dennis Dixon have not played, No. 6 Mike Humpal is on injured reserve and No. 6B Ryan Mundy is on the practice squad.

What are Pro Football Writers, the ones who make the pick, supposed to do?

Fortunately, linebacker Patrick Bailey, an undrafted player from Duke who was released twice by the Steelers this year, not only stuck with the team but became one of their best special teams players and made the choice unanimous.

Bailey, who has an electrical engineering degree, became the 25th winner of the Joe Greene Great Performance Award. (Impressive, a EE degree from a first class university and played football as well. Most impressive. - mesa)

The local chapter of the PFWA also chose veteran safety Ryan Clark as winner of The Chief Award, presented annual to the Steelers organization member who best exemplifies the spirit of cooperation with the media that was established by franchise founder Art Rooney.

Bailey made his mark on special teams, but not before some bumps in the road. He was released before the start of the season, Aug. 30, and signed to the practice squad the next day. He signed to the 53-man roster Sept. 20 but was released Oct. 4. He rejoined the 53-man roster Oct. 25 and has been active since.

Despite missing four games while not on the roster, Bailey is tied for third on the team with 12 special teams tackles, eight of them solo.

"I have always been kind of a wild kid; I love running down the field," said Bailey. "Just to go out and to sprint, that is just me being me. My coaches saw that in high school and they said that they were going to move me over to defense; and we are going to try you in pole vault. They saw it in me, and it is me."

The Steelers have the best kickoff coverage in the league, allowing only 19.4 yards per return, and the fourth-best punt coverage, allowing 6.1 yards per return.

Keisel practices again

Defensive end Brett Keisel, who missed the past three games with a sprained left MCL, went through a full practice for the first time yesterday since his injury.

"I'm excited to get back out with my boys and stop watching," Keisel said.

Travis Kirschke has started in his absence.

Collins happy for Paterno

Tennessee starter Kerry Collins, who led Penn State to victories in his final 17 games as the Nittany Lions quarterback, was happy to hear that Joe Paterno will return as their coach next season.

"I think everyone is excited that Joe is coming back. He has the ability to put a winning team on the field and has the desire to do it. I think he deserves to coach as long as he wants. I think the whole Penn State community is excited ...

"Everything I've heard and everything I've seen from up there, he still has the energy, still has the desire and he still has the ability to do a good job. I think he deserves the opportunity to coach more."

Quick hits

An NFL spokesman said the league could come up with "no visual evidence" that Ravens cornerback Frank Walker spit into the mouth of Steelers punter and holder Mitch Berger. ... The Steelers need eight more sacks to tie their record of 55, set in 1994 and repeated in 2001. ... This Sunday the Steelers can become the only defense in NFL history to hold opponents to under 300 yards in 15 consecutive games to start a season.
First published on December 18, 2008 at 12:00 am
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Steelers Notebook: Bailey selected as team's top rookie

I didn't know that guy was a rookie. Interesting.

But yeah, pretty depressing to see how little we've gotten out of our rookies, although for most of our picks except OT, our existing players were pretty good, and from what I understand Hills was not ready anyway. So realistically you don't expect anyone but Mendenhall to get a lot of playing time, and of course the injury messed that up.

I also didn't know Davis had played in a game yet either -- has he been in on actual defense, or just special teams?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Excellent for him!

That last bone-crushing ST tackle he made on Figures was awesome.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Look how last years class Willie Gay was the only one who saw the majority of the field. Congrats Patrick Bailey.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

The Steelers have the best kickoff coverage in the league, allowing only 19.4 yards per return, and the fourth-best punt coverage, allowing 6.1 yards per return

that can't be.... our special teams!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
The Steelers have the best kickoff coverage in the league, allowing only 19.4 yards per return, and the fourth-best punt coverage, allowing 6.1 yards per return.
Right there in the black and white. Wow, I honestly can hardly believe that. We were so bad last year. All we need now is an electric return man that can play another position as well.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Steelers Notebook: Bailey selected as team's top rookieThe Steelers have the best kickoff coverage in the league, allowing only 19.4 yards per return, and the fourth-best punt coverage, allowing 6.1 yards per return.
What?

That's...unbelievable. I wanna hear people say Tomlin is just playing with a pre-made playoff team now. Love Cowher to death, but I always felt he didn't pay enough attention to getting special teams on lockdown. I realize Tomlin doesn't personally coach ST, but there's little doubt he had an impact on getting the players there and emphasizing certain facets of mobility and play recognition.

Now all we need is a sizzling return man. I think Holmes will be good as a PR next year, and Russel is adequate at KR, but I want a homerun hitter back there returning.
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote